• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What's the most exotic place you've travelled?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

Weimaraner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does Detroit count?:rofl: I've travelled quite a bit but nothing more exotic than Caribbean and Hawaii. Looking back, I wish we went to Tahiti or Fiji for our honeymoon since life becomes more complicated as the years go by and harder to go to the far ends of the earth. Looking forward to hear about others' adventures.

BILLVACK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Santorini Greece is my choice. I have been to Hawaii and many Caribbean Islands, and while they are beautiful, I think Santorini has them beat in the exotic description. Views of the water and late afternoon sunsets are incredible.

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
Dazu, China. The stone sculptures carved into the mountains are beyond awesome. It's off the beaten path and very few Americans venture there; mostly Europeans. Because it's so isolated, the area escaped damage during the Cultural Revolution.

Ingrid

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
New York City. I wouldn't call it exotic but it is definitely our favorite place to visit. We have been to the Caribbean. Mexico, Canada, Hawaii, and all over the US.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The unrecognized statelets of Boputswana in Africa and Transnistria in Europe would probably be the most exotic, followed by Kosovo, Bosnia, Swaziland, and Botswana.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Berbera, Somalia, tops my list of places I'd rather not go back to.

Port Louis, Mauritius, is probably the most interesting of the less-traveled places I've been. I'd love to go back there. One of its claims to fame is that's where the Dodo Bird used to live.

The Indian Ocean atoll of Diego Garcia is probably the most isolated.

As for "exotic?" Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Philippines, Australia, Greece, Turkey, Dubai, Cuba, and even Haiti would be on the list.

Blame the Navy. They took me everywhere. But now I get to go back and see the stuff *I* want to see. :)

Dave

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amazon jungle:

Roll03-10.jpg

On the Equator in Ecuador:

Roll04-01.jpg

Machu Picchu:

Roll11-11.jpg

Galapagos Islands:

Roll06-23.jpg

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are in South Korea right now, to attend our son's wedding. this is our second visit to this beautiful country.

Dori

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
-- Bonaire, for what's below the waterline.

-- Amalfi Coast, Italy, for the drive.
... Going to the Sun Road, Glacier NP, a close 2nd.

-- Homer, Alaska, for its simple funkiness.

-- Jungfraujoch, Switzerland, for breathtaking scenery at the Top of Europe.

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I lived in Siberia. Not really exotic, just dirty and really cold in winter.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have by no means traveled far and wide. However the farthest reaching place my travels have taken me is Bangalore India. Not for leisure but for business. However I was able to see the local culture more than most as our local reps there took me out for the day during Diwali. Trying to navigate MG Road with the throng of people was a nightmare.

My wife doesn't agree but I don't really count cruise ship ports of call as places I have traveled. We have been to Belize and Honduras, but I don't really think I can say I have been to those countries. In Belize we snorkeled 12 miles off the coast and in Honduras we sat on the beach for the day. Not really all that exotic. Unless I have stayed overnight and driven the roads, It doesn't count.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I think I've traveled to some pretty outstanding places, but didn't think any qualify as "exotic" so I looked up the word:

–adjective
1. of foreign origin or character; not native; introduced from abroad, but not fully naturalized or acclimatized: exotic foods; exotic plants.
2. strikingly unusual or strange in effect or appearance: an exotic hairstyle.
3. of a uniquely new or experimental nature: exotic weapons.
4. of, pertaining to, or involving stripteasing: the exotic clubs where strippers are featured.

If we consider omitting definition #4, I think I would say Alaska might qualify under definition #2 and yet that conflicts with #2 as Alaska IS native . . . native in many ways to its core. That is the attraction for me.

So now I'm thinking the word "exotic" is really an oxymoron ;)

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I am from Romania originally, and there is nothing exotic to me in all of Eastern Europe. When I think "exotic" I think Seychelles, French Polynesia, Turks and Caicos, and Maldives. I think it's all in the eye of the beholder. There is beauty everywhere - some is in the nature, some in the culture and the people, some in the architecture and history, some in the local food. Every place has its beauty, and we usually find as exotic those places and things that are very different from where we grew up and what we're accustomed to.

I lived in Siberia. Not really exotic, just dirty and really cold in winter.

Last edited:

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bora Bora

1980 and 1982, trips to Bora Bora. I spend days floating on the water watching fish and taning myself on a motu. It was magical. (I hate to think of the hotels there now).

Rose Pink

TUG Member
Reaction score
Utah!

Bryce Canyon and Goblin Valley are both "strikingly unusual" places. Most of Utah has something interesting and beautiful to see. It's been said that if you don't like the scenery, just drive 30 minutes and it will change.

nalismom

TUG Member
Reaction score
GAZA STRIP

Not beautiful but definitely exotic in a cultural way: the Gaza Strip - I was there the day Rabin and Arafat shook hands in DC. Much celebrating and joy in the streets.

fnover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Penang Maylasia, beautiful island and interesting and exotic culture.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Bryce Canyon and Goblin Valley are both "strikingly unusual" places. Most of Utah has something interesting and beautiful to see. It's been said that if you don't like the scenery, just drive 30 minutes and it will change.

I definitely agree on Utah. It is spectacular.

silverfox82

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Phu Quoc island, Viet Nam. The harbor at the southern tip, An Thoi, was spectacular, much like the islands up in the north of the country. Breathtaking.

urban5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Cancun
Pattaya Beach Thailand circa 1968, then a sleepy tourist beach place south of Bangkok. Went back in 2000, didn't recognize anything except the off shore islands, as it is no longer a sleepy beach place but a mega vacation spot for Europeans. I remember the water being so clear that boats or swimmers seemed suspended as if on air, today the water is a foul greenish color.

Second would be Phuket Thailand circa 1968 as well, before it was developed. Was sent there by the military who was looking for new R&R place for vacationing GI's from Vietnam to go to. Was flown into a WW11 airstrip and left to my own devices for 5 days. Spent five wonderful days roaming around the island and the main City. When I got back I was so impressed with the place that I wrote a negative report so that maybe the flood of GI's on R&R would be prevented and not alter the character of the island.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
French Polynesia

We took a Star Clippers cruise to Tahiti, Tahaa, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea. Best. Trip. Ever.

We also travelled to Belize many years ago, before it was relatively mainstream. We were attacked by sand flies on Caye Caulker, met a jungle jaguar in Belmopan, and were marched on in our sleep (not once but twice) by army ants in the inland jungle. We ran the nighttime gauntlet of crabs, had to cancel our daytrip to Tikal because of a coup that took place in Guatemala. Oh yeah, when we ran in a panic from the ants, we sought asylum at the mobile home of a crazy American jungle man. He greeted us at his door stark naked with a shotgun in his hand (maybe not an unreasonable response when someone bangs on your door in Central America in the middle of the night). Oh and did I mention the BATS?! Well, that is a story for another time. So Belize was pretty memorable as well. We had a great time.