• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba Resorts....

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We decided to take a trip to Aruba:

Currently II has available:
Marriott Ocean Club
Marriott Surf Club
Renaissance Aruba

We will be traveling with a 9 year old.

Which resort would you consider the most family friendly....also having organized activities for the kiddo is a plus.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Surf Club has a great lazy river....that would be my first choice for your 9 year old.

Lee55

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club,
Marriott Aruba Surf Club,
& Marriott Grande Vista
Surf Club. It has organized activities, plus the lazy river.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
We just got back from Aruba a few of weeks ago (June 4th) and we stayed at the Marriott Aruba Surf Club :D.

My vote/recommendation is to stay at the Surf Club :cheer:, you and your nine year old will luv it. It has a lazy river as mentioned, a water slide, a kids pools, a playground, activities for kids, etc.

The Ocean Club is small with a small pool. The footprint is so small that the activities were being held on the public sidewalk along the beach.

We had a 2 bedroom in the Lighthouse building, facing the pool, near the beach, which was really convenient.

WI GAL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOR South, Maui
Hanalei Bay, Kauai
Aruba Surf Club
Another vote for Surf Club!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We have never stayed at the Ocean Club, but did visit the property once while in Aruba. I too would vote for the Surf Club. Lots more for a young family.

TRAVELING FOOL

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just there as well. Definitely Surf Club! Lots of kids activities.Also, there is an outdoor show with fountains and performers at the Paseo Herencia Mall nearby in the evening. Plenty of watersports available on the beach in front of the resort. Have fun!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
My favorite place! It's unanimous for the Surf Club. You'll have a great time! Plenty to do at the resort and the restaurants are very family friendly.

Can't wait to spend a week there with our 1 and 5 year old grandsons :D

heckp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA SDO MKO WKV
Very lucky to get an exchange to 2BR with my non marriott ts checking in July 16. Looking forward :banana:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
With children-the surf club

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
another vote for Surf Club. If I was just going with my wife I would (and have) stayed at the Ocean Club but the Surf club is the way to go when staying with children. They will love the lazy river.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
If I was just going with my wife I would (and have) stayed at the Ocean Club but the Surf club is the way to go when staying with children. They will love the lazy river.

My sentiments exactly!!!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
another vote for Surf Club. If I was just going with my wife I would (and have) stayed at the Ocean Club but the Surf club is the way to go when staying with children. They will love the lazy river.

People without kids like lazy rivers too....:p

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points

But you have posted that you are not a big fan if kids when you are on vacation....so if you could pick a nice calm pool with a swim up bar next door for you and your wife to quietly enjoy, or the lazy river with kids all around you, which would you pick. :shrug:

Decision,decisions. ;)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
But you have posted that you are not a big fan if kids when you are on vacation....so if you could pick a nice calm pool with a swim up bar next door for you and your wife to quietly enjoy, or the lazy river with kids all around you, which would you pick. :shrug:

Decision,decisions. ;)

Man, you don't forget a thing, do you? :D. I know, it is a tough decision. I loved the lazy river when we were at the Surf Club in 2013. We went in the shoulder season when the kids weren't as thick. So it wasn't too bad. If we were traveling during a more peak time we would perhaps opt for the quiet Ocean Club.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks All!

Looks like Surf Club is the winner! I will start my OGS. Of course, right now I can see 1BR at the other two. But, I'm ok holding off for the right resort!

This place has been on my bucket list for sometime and now that Southwest flies there and I can get there on points....its a no brainer!

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points

yes we do, and i have snuck (sneeked?) into the lazy river at the SC a few times
shhhh....dont tell anyone. ok? ;););)

Quimby4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV II
Riviera Beach Spa Resort (deed back 2018)
What about with teens?
Which has the better beach? Surf Club or Ocean Club?

Thx

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
What about with teens?
Which has the better beach? Surf Club or Ocean Club?

Thx

They are adjacent properties so the beach is the same. That being said, I recall my sea grass on the beach floor off Ocean Club versus Surf Club, even though they are literally 100 feet apart. I do not know if that was unique to 2012, but I didn't love the sea grass (but I did love Aruba!).

Best,

Greg

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As Greg said, the beaches are adjacent. The Ocean Club has more palapas per keyed room and fewer guests on the beach, so people consider it a "better beach;" while many consider the Surf Club's pools to be better.

You'll have a great time at either property.

rovitm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know Ocean Club guests can use the Marriott hotel's pool and gym. Do they have use of the palapas and beach?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
With children-the surf club

Which would be the choice among the listed options without any little kiddies in the mix (i.e, more adult oriented)?

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Which would be the choice among the listed options without any little kiddies in the mix (i.e, more adult oriented)?

I guess it's a matter of preference. We love the SC with or without the grandkids, and others, like Ilene, prefer the OC. If you want quieter, choose the OC. If you want the Lazy River, an adults only pool, and/or in room W/D, choose the SC. If you are trading in through II, I'd request both and be happy with whatever you get.