• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suggestions on Favorite Luggage Sites?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Burlington Coat Factory usually has a decent selection also.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your additional suggestions.
I have found several 2-wheelers that I could settle for, but really wanted the 4-wheel spinners.

Haven't checked out Burlington yet, so will give that a try.
But I have checked Macy's (online) and Magellans. In fact, there was one Magellans 4-wheeler that I really wanted (posted link in my OP), but it was just 3/4" too big, and I've read stories of people being sent back to check their carry-ons if they're even 1/2" too big. They have really tightened up on the restrictions, from what's posted on the airline sites and from what I've heard.

Even with soft-sided luggage, the frames for the top handles and bottom wheels would probably limit the 'squishability.'

I've also tried Costco, Wayfair, Delsey, Samsonite, Overstock, etc.--all were just slightly too big.

And I've googled til I'm about ready to give up and settle for a 2-wheeler.
But I do appreciate all of your efforts to help me find my elusive spinner. :)

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
Sheila,
Sounds like you're looking for something similar to what I have in mind, though mine doesn't have to be a laptop case for me since I early retired, and would be taking no more than an iPad at most.

As stated before, UA's guidelines now are 22x14x9. And I don't want anything that tall as I want to make sure it fits under the seat.

Found what I want yesterday here, but they're currently out of stock (and I travel in about a month).

Here's one that might fit what you need, and I may back up and use it as well.

Issues I've seen with most of these smaller types are complaints that the telescoping handles are somewhat flimsy, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Edited to add: Yes, I've tried TJ Maxx and Marshalls locally as well.

Thanks for the link. I need an actual laptop bag because I sometimes make it my "personal item" and bring a carry-on bag. You may want to check out the Ricardo luggage in a store before you commit. I have been suspicious of the quality of the ones I've seen. Kohls sells that brand and you can get pretty good prices. I also have a pretty nice LL Bean carry-on (with their lifetime guarantee) but my SwissGear holds more.

Hope you find what you need. I try to go through Marshalls every couple of weeks because their offerings change a lot. You might also want to sign up for eBags emails. I got an amazing deal on two 24" Swiss Gear bags for family trips. I got free shipping and it only took a few days for them to arrive. Less than a week as I recall.

Sheila

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks, Richard. Well, the size looks like it would definitely work--if the wheels aren't too large. Most of the online sites I've found don't include handles or wheels in the dimensions.
Only nit is I'd also like to carry a change of clothes, not so much for business purposes, other than an iPad. (Maybe this would be perfect for Sheila, though. :)) Thanks again!

Sheila, Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll try to make it back to Marshall's in a little while, plus plan to check out Burlington this weekend.

After that, I'm just going with a two-wheeler.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's what I ended up getting

This is what I've settled on, after many searches:

A Victorinox Werks Traveler 5.0 Wheeled Tote.

Actually found it at a local luggage shop so I was able to check it out in person and test the handle and spinner wheels. It was more than I wanted to pay, but once I saw the quality and it had all the features I wanted, I decided to splurge.

Thanks again to all those who piped in with suggestions.

P.S. It even has a 'secret' pocket in the front where you could stash your tickets or keys. Kinda reminded me of the Westgate hidden pocket. :)

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ article mentioned earlier

WSJ’s Middle Seat

By SCOTT MCCARTNEY
Updated Aug. 19, 2015 8:55 p.m. ET

Today’s riddle: When is 22 inches not 22 inches?

On a plane.

I’ve traveled for many years with a Travelpro 22-inch rollaboard bag. When one finally wore out, I replaced it with the same 22-inch rollaboard bag. Travelpro markets it as compliant with airline size limits, most of which restrict bags to 22 inches in length. The bag slides easily into most any overhead bin.

But when British Airways had a sizing box at a gate for a recent flight and made all passengers put their bag in the box, mine didn’t fit and had to be checked. The same fate befell many bags on that flight.

A few weeks later on an American Airlines flight leaving Phoenix, the same thing: Gate agents were telling passengers to put their carry-ons in the bag sizer as they headed for the plane. Many typical, well-traveled bags didn’t fit.

Travelpro and other luggage makers say the luggage industry practice in the U.S. is to size bags by the dimensions of the packing area without counting wheels and handles. At a luggage store, a Briggs & Riley 22-inch rollaboard stands 23 inches tall when you put a tape measure next to it. So does a Victorinox 22-inch bag. During recent visits to Macy’s and Bag ’n Baggage, salesmen claimed the bags fit airline sizers and complied with airline specifications.

As airlines fit more seats into planes, overhead bin space for bags becomes more precious. Bigger bags mean more passengers forced to check bags they’d intended to carry on.

But airlines count wheels and handles and have grown more strict about enforcing their rules. Kelly Leydon of Harrisburg, Pa., dropped her bag in Delta’s carry-on sizing box before boarding a flight recently at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. The bag didn’t fit in the box.

“I’ve had this bag 15 years and I’m not going to change now,” she says. “Not only are they charging for bags, but they are also making the limits smaller. It’s ridiculous.”

Part of the problem is shifting airline standards, and luggage industry reluctance to shrink bags because consumers shop for generous packing capacity. Travelpro says it uses the United Airlines bag sizer for its claim that its 22-inch rollaboards fit within airline size limits, and points to American and Delta policies calling for carry-ons the same size.

“We physically test our carry-on bags in a sizer before releasing [the design] for production,” says Scott Applebee, Travelpro’s vice president of marketing.

But the tape measure shows United’s sizer is actually larger than those of Delta, American and other airlines with 22-inch limits. Last year when it began strictly enforcing carry-on size limits, United decided to build in an inch of forgiveness. The sizer is labeled with limits of 22 inches tall, 14 inches wide and 9 inches deep, but the box is actually built with an extra inch in all three dimensions, United spokesman Rahsaan Johnson says.

American, Delta, British Airways and others have sizers at exactly 22 inches, not 23.

Travelpro’s Mr. Applebee says he didn’t know. “I will pass this on to our design team to have them check the measurements on our sizer and evaluate options,” he says. “From our research, we chose United because they were the most rigorous in their enforcement of the sizing guidelines.”

Mr. Applebee notes that bag sizing is a moving target and enforcement varies by airline and flight. Travelpro, he says, has received few complaints about bag sizes and doesn’t want its customers “to have to check their carry-on bag and pay the airline fees, but we are also obligated to give them packing space.”

Tumi, a high-end line, shortened its bags to 22 inches, including wheels and appendages, over “the last few years” because of airline limits, a spokeswoman says.

Samsonite, which includes American Tourister, Hartmann, High Sierra and other brands, says it, too, sizes to meet airline specifications now. Eagle Creek also includes wheels and handles in its sizing. Some bags have come out of manufacturing slightly larger than specs and drawn complaints because they didn’t fit airline size limits. When the company hears of such problems, they are fixed, an Eagle Creek spokeswoman says.

The same luggage that fits in a United Airlines bag sizer might not fit in Delta’s sizer. The airlines both say carry-on bags should be 22 inches tall, 14 inches wide and 9 inches deep.

Bag sizing became a bigger issue when major airlines began charging to check bags in 2008, prompting passengers to carry on more stuff to avoid fees. As airlines have installed more seats into jets over the past few years, more passengers now compete for the same overhead bin space. Bigger bags, and more of them, means many passengers at the end of the boarding line often can’t find overhead bin space and end up having bags checked at the gate.

Since that’s time-consuming and can lead to departure delays, airlines have stepped up enforcement of bag sizes to cull large bags from taking overhead bin space. On full flights, gate agents often have bag sizers and bag-tag printers nearby so they can quickly check if bags comply with size limits.

The International Air Transport Association, which represents airlines, proposed a world-wide standard for carry-on bags called Cabin OK earlier this year. The group said its standard would bring “common sense and order to the problem of differing sizes for carry-on bags.” But the initiative drew quick fire from travelers, and some airlines, because the dimensions of a Cabin OK bag were considerably smaller than the maximum allowed on many airlines.

Of course, new standards mean a chance to sell new luggage. Travelpro and other manufacturers say they had bags in development to meet the Cabin OK standard before IATA put the move on hold.

Airlines continue to tinker with allowable bag sizes, which have shrunk over the years. Effective Tuesday, British Airways slashed the size allowed for “personal items”—a second carry-on bag such as a purse, backpack or computer bag. Most airlines allow passengers to bring one carry-on and one personal item onboard.

British Airways had allowed a personal item up to 18 by 14 by 8 inches. The new standard drops that 43% in cubic space, to 16 by 12 by 6 inches, a good-sized purse or tote bag.

Checked baggage, too, has seen size limits reduced. Most airlines now limit the weight of each checked bag to 50 pounds. But a few, including discounters Spirit and Allegiant, cap weight at 40 pounds per bag. Bags heavier than that get hit with overweight baggage fees.

I have two huge bags once used for family trips that are now obsolete. My family proudly dubbed them “rolling coffins.” Time to give them away.

And what of my carry-on bag? I decided the uncertainty of having to occasionally check the bag at the gate wasn’t worth the risk. Having the bag taken away from you suddenly can spell trouble if you have valuables or medications inside, or if it doesn’t get delivered right away. And my wife points out that waiting at the baggage carousel makes me grumpy.

So I bought a 22-inch Eagle Creek rollaboard that measures 22 inches and fits most airline sizers. It has less packing space, but it’s legal.

Write to Scott McCartney at middleseat@wsj.com

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have quite a bit of REI brand luggage that I like a lot. I don't currently see anything styles I'm crazy about, but you should check them out. The REI luggage I have is very durable and I like the look.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ’s Middle Seat

By SCOTT MCCARTNEY
But when British Airways had a sizing box at a gate for a recent flight and made all passengers put their bag in the box, mine didn’t fit and had to be checked. The same fate befell many bags on that flight.

British Airways sizing box is smaller than their approved luggage measurements. I measured it in front of the gate agent. I probably shouldn't have but I was really irritated. British Airways is not a nice airlines.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the WSJ article post, Marathoner.

That article summarizes why I was so frustrated in my search for a new carry-on--most airline size limits include wheels and handles in those limits, while many luggage manufacturers do not include wheels and handles in the dimension descriptions of their products posted online. So you really have to be careful.

Also, the fact that the airlines are squeezing even more seats in with less overhead space is why I wanted to make sure whatever I purchased could fit under seat if necessary.

After just returning from our international trip, it was interesting that I didn't see UA really cracking down on the carry on size, and it was obvious overhead space was very limited.