• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Allianz trip insurance very surprised and disappointed!

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beware that if you have an emergency or lost bag on your trip and it is on the weekend you can not get any assistance from the US. You are routed to Mexico city and they are even unable to give you any authorization from the US claims department. So, if you need help you are out of luck on the weekend... You can only have lost baggage or emergency assistance if it happens Monday through Friday. Over the weekend you can not get any authorization to replace any lost luggage. We have purchased Allianz travel insurance for years and felt very secure knowing we had it... I am quite shocked and disappointed. So, beware about Allianz travel insurance. Only lose a bag or have an accident M-F. Mexico city reps are not able to give any sort of authorization to purchase what is in your lost bags...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you sure about the medical assistance on the weekend, or just about the lost property claim?

Even if you can't get immediate authorization to replace your lost luggage, it shouldn't be a big issue, because whether they approve it immediately or not, the procedure is the same: document the loss, buy what you need, and submit the receipts later. They would not reimburse you immediately, even if they approved it today.

How did you lose your property?

Last edited:

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luggage was lost. will not authorize repurchase of missing items. Want receipts for all items that were in suitcase. Really, who still has all the receipts for all the items that were in the suitcase. Told me not to repurchase lost items. They would not be covered. very friendly conversation but basically wasted over an hour... So personally not impressed with their coverage. Also asked if it was an emergency of a medical issue they still could not authorize it. So... beware...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did the airline lose your luggage?

So are they completely denying your claim, or saying they can't approve it today?

What does the policy say about lost luggage?

Regardless of what they say about not buying - you need what you need. I mean, you aren't going to do without because they won't cover it, right?

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Luggage was lost. will not authorize repurchase of missing items. Want receipts for all items that were in suitcase. Really, who still has all the receipts for all the items that were in the suitcase. Told me not to repurchase lost items. They would not be covered. very friendly conversation but basically wasted over an hour... So personally not impressed with their coverage. Also asked if it was an emergency of a medical issue they still could not authorize it. So... beware...
Is there a pre authorization requirement or are you making up policy requirements that don't exist.

Usually process is
1. get a letter of lost luggage from airline.
2. Buy emergency replacement stuff.
3. File claim.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have no authorization to do either... So wanted other Tug members as I said... to be aware of what I have encountered. We help each other try to travel with the least problems.
Thanks

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I understand that you are trying to help, but accuracy is important too.

If they were completely denying your claim, they would not ask for receipts, so it appears that you have to submit all the documentation before you can get an approval, and that they won't do it over the phone.

This is the norm for travel insurance claims. Otherwise they would be authorizing payment, with no documentation.

At this point, I'd look at the policy that they emailed to you, to see what the policy says.

Did the airline lose your luggage?

Last edited:

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes the Airline was Southwest and They lost the luggage all it was reported to SW. All procedures and contracts were and have been followed...

Just reporting the facts! Use your own judgement.

No further replies are needed.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will reply because I have had a bag claim with Allianz (which is the parent company of Firemans Fund along others BTW).

I never had to submit receipts for the things in my bag. I did have to submit receipts for the things that I purchased due to the delay as well as documentation from the carrier that my bags were delayed. No issues for me in getting my money back up to the policy limit.

This was filed on a weekday and it was bag delay instead of replacement, so maybe that is why it was so easy? This was about 5 years ago.

Good luck to the OP.

-ryan

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Ryan - Did you have to submit your documentation before they would give you the final approval?

Were you out of the country?

I'm wondering if part of the OP's difficulty was not being able to talk to a representative in the US?

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know SouthWest served Mexico City. Couldn't've been an interline transfer here somewhere could it? Either way, it's good to know that one should have receipts for what's in bags to be replaced. I don't, and the travel insurance premiums are so high it gives me pause about buying it. My $50 annual medical evacuation insurance looks better all the time. I can afford the crap in my bags.

Jim

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Ryan - Did you have to submit your documentation before they would give you the final approval?

Were you out of the country?

I'm wondering if part of the OP's difficulty was not being able to talk to a representative in the US?
No. I was not about to waste my vacation doing paperwork. I remember calling the phone number, and they told me that I could deal with the paperwork after the trip, I also remember dealing with all of the documentation stuff after the trip -- this was my choice to deal with it this way so I'm not sure if I could have gotten reimbursed sooner.

US trip and I called an 800 number. Of course those could route to anywhere but I don't recall if it was someone with a heavy accent on the other end of the line.

Lost bag is likely much easier though than lost luggage. Allianz is a pretty highly rated carrier in general so I am surprised to hear about the issues. I agree it is ridiculous to insist on receipts for items in your lost bag. I can understand receipts for replacement items and requiring an itimized list of items that were in the lost bag, but it seems odd all the way around.

If I were the OP, I need to replace necessities anyway, so I'd just hold on to the receipts and carrier documentation of the lost bag and deal with it afterwards. No sense in spoiling your vacation.

-ryan

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I documented my call with names and was told I had to have receipts for everything in my bag. I questioned that several times. But the people in Mexico city repeated again and again that the replacement receipts would not be accepted. I think they are misinformed... I am a detail person so I kept excellent notes. They are who you will speak to if you call on the weekend. They do not have the authority to make decisions without the US. The US claims department is only M-F. Use your own judgement on who you use. We have used Allianz for years for our travel insurance even before they were called that. So... I am voicing my personal frustration with what I experienced today.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be frustrated too, but I'd be frustrated because I got the wrong info. from the Mexico City Rep., not because I expected to get my claim approved over the phone. I think that's where the misconception lies.

Until you submit your documentation and it's accepted, your claim won't be approved.

So if I were you, I'd buy what I needed, be very careful to keep all receipts, and deal with this when you get home.

Did you lose all your luggage, or one piece of luggage?

Were you on a Southwest flight, or a partner airline?

How long ago was the flight?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Dixie - Any update on your Allianz claim?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think phone agents with any insurance company will be able to provide authorization. My experience is that they tell you to keep receipts and file a claim. The phone reps aren't the adjusters and can't authorize any claims. They are there really to sell policies and answer basic questions about policies.

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually they told me not to purchase anything.They were not authorized to suggest I purchase and keep receipts. So if you need help for a lost bag or have an emergency there is no one to speak to on the weekend that will assist with that.You do what you need to do. Most of us are adults. The reason I posted in the first place is to let people be aware of this. I do know that you file a claim with receipts.I was told differently. Not impressed.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually they told me not to purchase anything.They were not authorized to suggest I purchase and keep receipts. So if you need help for a lost bag or have an emergency there is no one to speak to on the weekend that will assist with that.You do what you need to do. Most of us are adults. The reason I posted in the first place is to let people be aware of this. I do know that you file a claim with receipts.I was told differently. Not impressed.

Did you call back on Monday - what did they say?

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I never called back as they were supposed to call me Monday morning. That never happened! Received my lost bag after 2 lost days. Put me out because I had things in it which I needed... so, lesson learned.... do not try to get help from them on the weekend.

dixie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to give information and close this discussion. I just spoke with a supervisor in the US. He confirmed that you cannot repurchase lost items in the suitcase and use those receipts for your claim. If you have the receipts for every item you pack in your lost suitcase then the claims department will adjust your loss to 75% of the receipts for the items you have packed. So, I am dismayed because I do not usually still have the receipts for the packed items.

Again Mexico City answered the call and this time since it is M-F they were able to get someone in the US to take the call.

My bag was finally found and no claim was filed.

Hope this saves someone else the hassle if your bag is ever lost.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for letting us know the final outcome.

That is disappointing. If I were you, when you get home, I'd drill down into the fine print of the insurance policy and see exactly what it says about lost luggage claims.

Had you already replaced everything, or did your bag show up before you bought a lot of stuff?

I wouldn't have receipts for everything either, but I often buy some new things for vacation, and now I will remember to keep the receipts for those items, just in case.

However, we only travel with carry-ons - and avoiding lost luggage is one of the advantages of that.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ditto to Denise's advise about checking the policy details.

I'd add that now that you got your bag back, this should qualify under delayed baggage, no? (Again, check your policy). I would think if this is covered, you should be entitled to replacement necessities that are up to the limit of the policy. When I had my issue, Allianz policy was greater than 6 hour delay.

Good to note your experience. I would not use them again based on this factoid.

-ryan

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know the customer service issues.

But I'm confused, isn't the airline responsible for delayed/lost baggage? Would travel insurance coverage only come into play if the loss is above the airline coverage limit?

Delta delayed our bags once, we went to Hawaii...bag went to Australia (apparently counter agent stuck on someone else's tag - now I ALWAYS check). It was delayed 2 days and they reimbursed everything we bought (about $130 worth), even whole packs of socks and underwear from Costco.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good to know the customer service issues.

But I'm confused, isn't the airline responsible for delayed/lost baggage? Would travel insurance coverage only come into play if the loss is above the airline coverage limit?

Delta delayed our bags once, we went to Hawaii...bag went to Australia (apparently counter agent stuck on someone else's tag - now I ALWAYS check). It was delayed 2 days and they reimbursed everything we bought (about $130 worth), even whole packs of socks and underwear from Costco.
You are correct. US airlines are required to reimburse for delayed or lost baggage, but the coverage and process can vary widely.

In addition, lost/delayed bag coverage is often purchased/bundled with trip insurance. So (at least in my case), the traveler isn't buying the lost/delayed on its own. Trip insurance can provide coverage for an unforeseen event (which won't be covered by the airline or hotel).

But maybe the OP should check with Southwest on filing a claim.

-ryan

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also check with the airline for reimbursement, even though the bag was eventually located.

My bag was lost on a trip to La Paz, MX, and it didn't arrive at the hotel until 3 days later. Alaska told me to get the basics of what I needed and they reimbursed me fully for the costs.