• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2007 Thread] Scam? Florida Veterans Assistance

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received a "receipt" fron the Florida Veterans Assistance Association. It seems to offer their thanks for me donating a timeshare on 10/17/2006 with time and date of sale 5/30/07.

I never donated a timeshare, but I did purchase one. I have tried calling them, left messages, looked at the web site: www.veteransassistance.us
to no avail.

Has anyone heard of them? Is it possible that this relates to a recent purchase by me and the owner donated to them?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes they are legitimate.

How exactly do you feel you were scammed again? I am confused at your post...could you clarify?

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry,

I guess I was not clear. I thought that, since I never donated a timeshare to them, they were one of those agencies seeking out a donation. You know, just to get my phone number and then solicit a donation or an upfront fee to take my timeshare off of my hands.

I have never dealt with them, yet they have my home address, both names, phone number and a price, date of donation, date of sale?? Not sure where any of this comes from.

skinsfan

Reaction score
Where did you purchase the timeshare? If you bought it from ebay you may have bought it from them and they could have the info mixed up... just a thought

Sorry,

I guess I was not clear. I thought that, since I never donated a timeshare to them, they were one of those agencies seeking out a donation. You know, just to get my phone number and then solicit a donation or an upfront fee to take my timeshare off of my hands.

I have never dealt with them, yet they have my home address, both names, phone number and a price, date of donation, date of sale?? Not sure where any of this comes from.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you are right. They could have mixed up the seller and buyer info.

I will try to get this straightened out. But it is good to know that they are a legitimate organization.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida Veterans Assistance

Has anyone heard of them? Is it possible that this relates to a recent purchase by me and the owner donated to them?[/QUOTE]
========================================================

They are a legitimate entity which accepts some timeshare donations which are rejected by others (like Donate for a Cause, specifically). However, FVA does charge the donating person(s) several hundred dollars to "donate" the timeshare week, reportedly to cover the closing costs and listing fees (presumably incurred when they sell the donated weeks on eBay).

You probably got this "receipt" as a simple paperwork error. In my experience, it's not unusual for closing companies to mistakenly send buyer and seller each others paperwork during the course of completing a transaction.

r.levene

TUG Member
Reaction score
Response to FVA

I am a licensed Real Estate Broker in Florida and I have worked with Florida Veteran's Assistance for many years. My dealings with them have always been honest and above board. They always try to do what they can for the owners that are donating their timeshares. They are a great asset to the veterans and I hope they keep doing what they are doing.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why resurrect this old thread?

Robert,

Why did you resurrect this old thread from 2007? There is a much more recent thread with relevant information about many of the problems TUG members who have donated to this organization have been facing......

Here is the link to the newer thread....

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82924

pappy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida Veterans Assistance Association

I would like to know if there is current info (2010) on whether or not this works. I've seem more negative responses than positive. I am trying to get information from the Florida Veterans site (state gov) and have someone checking into the group. When I called Fl. Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs, the lady said they'd had 8 complaints filed in 5 years-7 close satisfactorily and 1 unsatisfactorily. Who's been able to get rid of their time share without (many) problems in 2010?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Pappy123 - I see that you have been trying to get rid of your timeshare for almost a year. Have you made an earnest effort to give this timeshare away for free, rather than paying someone to take them?

Please consider giving it away to a private individual who can use it, before you spend a cent with a company like this.

There are two places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free (no charge for the Ads.) There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well.

TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

Bargain Deals - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay 2010 maintenance fees

2) Pay for the title transfer (you can get a simple professional transfer for about $100) I've used this licensed document Prep. company and the owner is a Tugger. - Note, this is my personal recommendation, not as a representative of TUG.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2010 for the new owner​

Good luck!

Last edited:

pappy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info but is anyone actually selling them? I looked at the bargains and on ebay and there are 1000's of timeshares for sale.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think you can sell it - I am suggesting giving it away here on TUG and paying for the transfer cost. It won't cost you anything to try that option, first.

wcfr1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't touch them with a 10 foot pole. They may take your timeshare but that doesn't make them legitimate as a charity.

Read the old post and look into this organization. Then read these articles from our local paper http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2010/reports/navy-veterans-association/

Other than a slight change in the name everything is eerily similiar. Same location, smae vulgar responses, same MO. Groups like this take advantage of people in the name of our countries veterans are lower than low.

Read and make your own call.

pappy123

TUG Member
Reaction score
You Can Get Rid Of A Timeshare!

:) Denise,

Thanks for the advice. I changed my ad to read : For Sale-$1.00 and I had 9 inquries within a week!! All very interested and I am in the process of transferring it at this time to folks who looked on TUG. I am getting $50.00 and buyer is paying all the costs, so.....Basically, if you want to give it away.....you can. Guess it still depends on where you own, too.

I was aware through reseaching that the Florida Veterans Assistance Association was not exactly what they claim to be. I read all the articles and talked to the "REAL" state/federal Florida Veterans Administration in FL (who'd never heard of them). But, I also spoke with 2 fellas who'd gone through them and gotten rid of their ts, and 1 lady who was about 50 days into the process and was pleased so far. One of the men I spoke with works for Marriot Vacation Club!

Anyway, thanks for the tip!!

Katie:::cheer:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Katie - I'm so happy for you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

cvocke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was planning to use Florida Veterans, then followed DeniseM's advice to give away my Massanutten TS on TUG. So I got an offer from someone who works for the National Timeshare Help Center (located near Massanutten), who says he wants my unit for his family's access to resort amenities. I'm thinking he's just picking up cheap units to resell. He also says he'll do the deed transfer through a coworker at NTHC, at his expense and will pay the resort transfer fee. So how do I protect my interest? He'll pay me $1, but I want certainty that I'll be out of my TS. Suggestions?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cindy, the owner of NTHC, is a long-standing member of TUG and they have a good reputation here.

I would not have the slightest concern about selling to them and I wouldn't care what they did with it, if it meant I got rid of it.

If you don't want them to sell it, you always have the option of selling it yourself, but I'm guessing you haven't had much luck with that, and I wouldn't expect that to change in this economy.

How do you know if it's been transferred? You simply ask whoever is doing the transfer to send you a copy of the stamped new deed, after the county records it, and then check with the resort to be sure they record it, too. Easy.

Since you aren't paying a dime, I don't think you have a thing to lose.

nickj

Reaction score
Worked for Me

I would like to know if there is current info (2010) on whether or not this works. I've seem more negative responses than positive. I am trying to get information from the Florida Veterans site (state gov) and have someone checking into the group. When I called Fl. Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Affairs, the lady said they'd had 8 complaints filed in 5 years-7 close satisfactorily and 1 unsatisfactorily. Who's been able to get rid of their time share without (many) problems in 2010?

I just recently successfully donated my timeshare via Florida Veterans Assistance Assoc. I was actually surprised how smooth and quickly it went. I originally contacted them around the 1st of August. And just closed last week. So about two months in total. The closing was handled by Timeshare Title out of Sharon, PA. - they were very easy to deal with. I received a copy of the updated Deed as well as a copy of the letter that was sent to the Resort from the Title company showing ownership change.

All in it cost me about $950 (for a $5k write off) Maybe I was crazy to pay to get rid of it. But I'm so happy not to pay those ever increasing maintenance fees which have quadrupled since I bought it in 1994 (wish my investments quadrupled) and I suspect will easily be a couple of thousand $$ in a few years.

Last edited:

cvocke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise! I will go with this buyer. Pain free and free to me.

Do you have any suggestions on getting out of my points unit? It is also for sale on TUG for $1. No interest, and I see that it is not a great points value for someone wanting to simply get into points. [Specifics deleted.] I don't see any way to sweeten the deal.

Cindy, the owner of NTHC, is a long-standing member of TUG and they have a good reputation here.

I would not have the slightest concern about selling to them and I wouldn't care what they did with it, if it meant I got rid of it.

If you don't want them to sell it, you always have the option of selling it yourself, but I'm guessing you haven't had much luck with that, and I wouldn't expect that to change in this economy.

How do you know if it's been transferred? You simply ask whoever is doing the transfer to send you a copy of the stamped new deed, after the county records it, and then check with the resort to be sure they record it, too. Easy.

Since you aren't paying a dime, I don't think you have a thing to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Don't push your luck

All in it cost me about $950 (for a $5k write off) Maybe I was crazy to pay to get rid of it. But I'm so happy not to pay those ever increasing maintenance fees which have quadrupled since I bought it in 1994 (wish my investments quadrupled) and I suspect will easily be a couple of thousand $$ in a few years.

Oh - oh. BE VERY CAREFUL trying to take a $5K "write off" if you are admitting it COST you $950 to be rid of it! You have no basis for a write off and trying to claim one may take you down a road you end up wishing you never tried.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
+1

How are you going to write off a timeshare for $5K, that you had to pay someone to take off your hands? If you get audited you may be in trouble.

That is one of the big problems with these "take your timeshare off your hands companies." The give bad tax advice.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have any suggestions on getting out of my points unit? It is also for sale on TUG for $1. No interest, and I see that it is not a great points value for someone wanting to simply get into points. [Specifics deleted.] I don't see any way to sweeten the deal.

cvocke - Do you have your free TS listed in the TUG Marketplace AND the Bargain Deals Board?

If not, you should list it on the Bargain Deals Board, which is a sub-forum of this board.

How to sweeten the pot:

-Pay all transfer fees
-Pre-pay the 2011 MF

Last edited:

cvocke

TUG Member
Reaction score
cvocke - Do you have your free TS listed in the TUG Marketplace AND the Bargain Deals Board?

If not, you should list it on the Bargain Deals Board, which is a sub-forum of this board.

How to sweeten the pot:

-Pay all transfer fees
-Pre-pay the 2011 MF

Thanks, I will list it on the Bargain Deals Board. Is it permissible to mention it on a board discussing that resort? Or is that considered advertising?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, I will list it on the Bargain Deals Board. Is it permissible to mention it on a board discussing that resort? Or is that considered advertising?

Sorry - the only place you can mention it is the Bargain Deals Board.

cvocke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would I also want to book the week for the new owner? Currently the unit is just accumulating points. Does having the week booked make it more attractive?

Reason I ask is that my RCI points membership expired in June 2010. I can't book the unit unless I renew. RCI told me the accumulated points will transfer to the new owner.

Chris

How to sweeten the pot:

-Pay all transfer fees
-Pre-pay the 2011 MF