• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Summer Bay Resort a Sink Hole [merged]

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be there mid December in 2 bedroom unit. Need advice on which building to call ahead and request. Looking for quiet upgraded unit with screened balcony away from the pools. Are any of the units non smoking?

Other help on surrounding area for wildlife photography would be appreciated.

Suzanne

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is true!

It is one of the TOP news stories on the 7AM Today show. Complete with current helicopter views.

Elevator tower connecting 2 buildings is where it started. And part of the one condo building appears to be flatten cinderblock.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is too bad. Summer Bay is one of our favourite Florida Resorts. I'm so glad no one was injured.

Dori

RumpleMom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which 3 story ts collapsed in Orlando?

I heard on the radio this morning that a 3 story timeshare collapsed into a sinkhole near Orlando.

Anyone have details?

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sinkhole at Summer Bay Resort

August 11, 2013

Sinkhole @

Summer Bay Resort

Is located on a secluded, private 64-acre lake, just minutes from the most popular attractions and activities in the Orlando area & about 6 quick miles from Walt Disney World® Resort.

Address: Route 192
25 Town Center Blvd
Clermont, Fl 34714

The property features a clubhouse, hotel units,
1, 2 and 3 bedroom condominium timeshares,
2 bedroom villas and houses with private pools

Have Questions about your up coming reservation?
Call the resort directly by phone at 352-242-1100

Toll-Free Reservations: 1-800-654-6102
Member Services: 1-800-654-6102

Space Coast Laurie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Capistrano Surfside Inn (Capistrano Bch, CA), The Resort on Cocoa Beach (Cocoa Bch, FL)

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is crazy! I was planning to PM the OP this morning that I would stop by on my way home from work and scope out the best building if they didn't have any knowledgeable info.

Sorry suzanne :(

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Is this an insurable risk in Florida? If so is it common to carry coverage, or is it like earthquake insurance in California where it is offered as additional coverage but not everyone chooses to carry the coverage?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this an insurable risk in Florida? If so is it common to carry coverage, or is it like earthquake insurance in California where it is offered as additional coverage but not everyone chooses to carry the coverage?

My homeowner's insurance policy does not cover sinkholes. It did until a little more than a year ago. At that time State Farm separated sinkhole coverage from other types of catastrophic ground cover collapse. It is now an optional add-on but I currently don't have it. I should probably add it but at the time they just sent a notice and I didn't do anything.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Correct, sinkholes are insurable. Out of the hundreds-of-thousands of homes in Central Florida, maybe 1 or 2 in a year drop into a sinkhole. Florida is the only state that requires insurers cover "earth movement" (which includes sinkholes). Florida law is clear:

Florida Statute 627.706 requires insurers to include coverage for “catastrophic ground cover collapse,” and offer additional separate coverage for other sinkhole damage. Under Florida law, “catastrophic ground collapse is defined as 'geological activity' that results in all of the following:

1; The abrupt collapse of ground cover
2. A depression in the ground cover that is clearly visible to the naked eye
3. Structural damage to the building including the foundation
4. The insured structure being condemned and ordered to be vacated by the government agency authorized by law to issue such an order for that structure.

TS

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct, sinkholes are insurable. Out of the hundreds-of-thousands of homes in Central Florida, maybe 1 or 2 in a year drop into a sinkhole. Florida is the only state that requires insurers cover "earth movement" (which includes sinkholes). Florida law is clear:

Florida Statute 627.706 requires insurers to include coverage for “catastrophic ground cover collapse,” and offer additional separate coverage for other sinkhole damage. Under Florida law, “catastrophic ground collapse is defined as 'geological activity' that results in all of the following:

4. The insured structure being condemned and ordered to be vacated by the government agency authorized by law to issue such an order for that structure.

TS

A sinkhole may or may not qualify as part of "catastrophic ground cover collapse", depending on the circumstances. If it meets the definition below but does not meet all 4 of the criteria above, it may not be covered without the additional coverage or rider.

Florida law defines a sinkhole as “a land form created by subsidence of soil, sediment, or rock as underlying strata are dissolved by groundwater. A sinkhole may form by collapse into subterranean voids created by dissolution (the dissolving) of limestone or dolostone or by the subsidence as these strata are dissolved.”

In other words, if the damage is not severe enough to vacate, it will probably not be covered. The notice I received referred to sinkhole damage not covered under the mandatory law, so it looks like I am actually covered if it renders my structure unlivable.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

TS

A sinkhole may or may not qualify as part of "catastrophic ground cover collapse", depending on the circumstances. If it meets the definition below but does not meet all 4 of the criteria above, it may not be covered without the additional coverage or rider.

In other words, if the damage is not severe enough to vacate, it will probably not be covered. The notice I received referred to sinkhole damage not covered under the mandatory law, so it looks like I am actually covered if it renders my structure unlivable.

Interesting. I was just pondering the implications to the timeshare owners at Summer Bay. It looks like they will have coverage, but I wonder about rebuilding - is there room somewhere else on the property - and what about the lost intervals associated with the loss of the building if it cannot be rebuilt? This will be a mess to sort out. I feel sorry for their board members as well as the other owners.

yma01

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that is leaving for the resort in 4 days. Since many schools around the country are back in session, I assume there hopefully should not be an issue with lack of available rooms.

yma01

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming the resort is insured for this type of catastrophe, will there be incurred costs by the owners? Either increased maintenance fees or special assessments? Just curious.:confused:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I was just pondering the implications to the timeshare owners at Summer Bay. It looks like they will have coverage, but I wonder about rebuilding - is there room somewhere else on the property - and what about the lost intervals associated with the loss of the building if it cannot be rebuilt? This will be a mess to sort out. I feel sorry for their board members as well as the other owners.

It is interesting. I imagine that if it cannot be rebuilt then the insurance proceeds would flow to the owners that are forced out. Which begs a question. Even under a floating system, I am assuming that the actual deeded owners of that building will be the ones forced out if it cannot be rebuilt?

Assuming the resort is insured for this type of catastrophe, will there be incurred costs by the owners? Either increased maintenance fees or special assessments? Just curious.:confused:

Required by law as part of standard insurance, see post above.