• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fl Love Bugs are awful this year

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The "Love Bugs" are awful in Florida this year (at least in Sarasota and the surrounding areas. Honestly, I would avoid travel to this area until they're gone in a couple of weeks. They generally arrive in May and September and last the whole month.

The "Love Bugs" mate while they are airborne and they're are zillions of them here. I'm told nothing eats them because they acidic, and that if they remain on the paint of your car their dead carcasas can "eat" the paint. I don't know if that's true, or not but I have to wash my car after every single trip (even around the block to the health club). After a short trip on the expressway, it's hard to see thru your windshield if you drive through a cloud of "love bugs" and the don't come off with just windshield washer fluid. It takes scrubbing.

The "love bugs" seem to like sunshine and they don't seem to be too many in early morning until about noon or after dark.

I don't even like to venture away from the house while they're here. They sure could spoil a vacation.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know.

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
We will be in Florida in a few days. I wonder how rental cars companies and damage to the car due to love bugs is handled. Do we need to wash the car every day?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We will be in Florida in a few days. I wonder how rental cars companies and damage to the car due to love bugs is handled. Do we need to wash the car every day?

We have rented for two weeks from Alamo during lovebug season and never had an issue when returning the car.

Last edited:

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Thank you! That is good to know because we are also using Alamo.

tombo

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do they have Love Bugs in the Panhandle area and on into MS & AL?

There are love bugs on the panhandle during certain times of the year, but nothing like there are in central Florida. I am in Panama City right now and haven't hit a single love bug so far. Knocking on wood.

Last edited:

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
We encountered them while in Sebring in March. They really are annoying, but at least they don't drain you of your blood like the nasty black flies we got evey year at the cottage. Hopefully they will be gone soon, so that you can enjoy the outdoors.

Dori

beanie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have to rid my windshield and car of love bugs everyday after my commute home from ft. myers . I use a wet dryer sheet and the hose and they come right off . cutting the grass today they were swarming around me . they are reported to like the carbon dioxide fumes giving off by cars and may explain why they are so prevalent at intersections and on highways .

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have to rid my windshield and car of love bugs everyday after my commute home from ft. myers . I use a wet dryer sheet and the hose and they come right off . cutting the grass today they were swarming around me . they are reported to like the carbon dioxide fumes giving off by cars and may explain why they are so prevalent at intersections and on highways .

Do you wet a dryer sheet, or are they already wet (we don't use dryer sheets at home)? If this works, I'll give it a try. I'm finding I have to really scrub the bug splatter off the windshield and have been using a brush and a pad with a netting around it made for that sort of thing...but, it still doesn't remove all the bug remains. I have to then use Windex.

I heard from our Marina manager in Osprey, FL (just South of Sarasota). He said boaters are reporting love bugs everywhere even 25 miles out to sea.

The love bugs seem to prefer the color "white". Unfortunately, my car is white.

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you wet a dryer sheet, or are they already wet (we don't use dryer sheets at home)? If this works, I'll give it a try. I'm finding I have to really scrub the bug splatter off the windshield and have been using a brush and a pad with a netting around it made for that sort of thing...but, it still doesn't remove all the bug remains. I have to then use Windex.

I heard from our Marina manager in Osprey, FL (just South of Sarasota). He said boaters are reporting love bugs everywhere even 25 miles out to sea.

The love bugs seem to prefer the color "white". Unfortunately, my car is white.

Just run a little water on a dryer sheet, and it works like magic! Buy them at the Osprey Walmart! I heard this tip a few days ago on a Tampa TV station.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You can also buy special bug sponges in the car care secton at Walmart. They are a sponge covered with a mesh like material. Use them when washing your car, they work great.

chicklet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from Venice April 24 and they were starting to swarm then. There had been nothing then all of a sudden you couldn't find a spot to sit near the pool without them there. I think they last about 3 weeks but came early because spring was warmer (at least that is what some of my Florida friends told me) Makes me think about next year as our renters want to stay til the end of April and we would come in May.....hmmmmm

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never seen one -- have a question

The "Love Bugs" are awful in Florida this year (at least in Sarasota and the surrounding areas. Honestly, I would avoid travel to this area until they're gone in a couple of weeks. They generally arrive in May and September and last the whole month.

The "Love Bugs" mate while they are airborne and they're are zillions of them here. I'm told nothing eats them because they acidic, and that if they remain on the paint of your car their dead carcasas can "eat" the paint. I don't know if that's true, or not but I have to wash my car after every single trip (even around the block to the health club). After a short trip on the expressway, it's hard to see thru your windshield if you drive through a cloud of "love bugs" and the don't come off with just windshield washer fluid. It takes scrubbing.

The "love bugs" seem to like sunshine and they don't seem to be too many in early morning until about noon or after dark.

I don't even like to venture away from the house while they're here. They sure could spoil a vacation.

How big are they? Fortunately we don't get them here in California!

Jim Bryan

TUG Member
Reaction score
For years I have used the plastic mesh kitchen pot scrubbers and whatever I'm using to wash my car (usually Zip Car wash) Does the trick and doesn't hurt cars finish. I can remember seeing piles, deep piles of them at gas stations where people had rinsed them off.

Last edited:

Lardan

Reaction score
Live in Lutz (outside of Tampa). They are bad here every year, so I don't really think they're worse this year. They do appear to be earlier than in the past.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
probably earlier, as i have usuallly gone north by now. they are awful!!!!:eek:

Riverwild

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lovebugs are bad in Manatee County where I reside. We are heading to Old Key West Resort on Sunday so my car will be plastered with love bugs after driving on I-4. Will have to look for a car wash and then travel via Disney transportation to keep the car clean.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How big are they? Fortunately we don't get them here in California!

They're skinny and about 3" long (because there are two of them). They are also very delicate just swatting them away with your hand can squash them. Yesterday, I had a few land on my shirt and simply tried to brush them off instead it squashed them.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Lovebugs are bad in Manatee County where I reside. We are heading to Old Key West Resort on Sunday so my car will be plastered with love bugs after driving on I-4. Will have to look for a car wash and then travel via Disney transportation to keep the car clean.

Riverwild - I live in Parrish in a Community called Ancient Oaks. Based on your Tug name I'm guessing you're in Riverwilderness or close by, yes?

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
They were bad at Disney Wilderness Lodge last week. Ruins the pool lounging, when you have to keep swatting them.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
There were a few at the Melbourne, Fl airport last weekend. I'm headed to Destin on Saturday. I've never been there in May. Has anyone experienced them there?