• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Take the Pledge - no more presentations!

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
It's an easy pledge to take - the kids are 5 and 2, without child care there would be no opportunity for business talk and even with it I wouldn't want to waste our or the saleperson's time.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I pledge to never attend a Wyndham presentation again. I have no intention of EVER buying developer points. They are always rude, condescending and abusive to me, just because I own resale points. So I am through with them.
Being abused for hours while on vacation is just not worth a $50 or $100 debit card.

However, after owning several resale Starwoods I sold them all and bought from the developer. So I probably would attend an update for them if asked.

IF there was ever another system I wanted to learn about I would be open to attending a presentation at that system, but that's not in my plans right now. Not for the freebies, but for the info. Depending on the deal they made, I might buy. There is nothing wrong with a developer purchase if it is a fully informed one, and you go in with your eyes open.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Those Modern Selling Techniques Are Way Too Advanced For Me.

They are always rude, condescending and abusive to me, just because I own resale points.
That attitude seems unlikely to persuade anybody to buy at full freight.

Instead, they should try flattering resale owners on their savvy purchase & complimenting them on choosing to own in an outstanding vacation ownership system, then start oozing charm out of every pore as they slick-talk the resale-owning prospect into upgrading at full freight.

The old-fashioned name for that was catching more flies with honey than with vinegar.

( Just saying. )

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That attitude seems unlikely to persuade anybody to buy at full freight.

Instead, they should try flattering resale owners on their savvy purchase & complimenting them on choosing to own in an outstanding vacation ownership system, then start oozing charm out of every pore as they slick-talk the resale-owning prospect into upgrading at full freight.

The old-fashioned name for that was catching more flies with honey than with vinegar.

( Just saying. )

Exactly, they literally act like I went in their pocket and stole the money they need to feed their children. Yes, I will not buy from them, but that conclusion was foregone before I walked in. They take it as a personal affront.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
They Aren't The Only Ones Affronted.

They take it as a personal affront.
Well, shux, I likewise take it as an affront that the professional timeshare sellers sit there with straight faces trying to sell people -- for thousands of dollars -- timeshare deeds that the sellers have got to know are worth little or nothing.

I don't get mad. I don't insult them or reveal my feelings in any way.

Sometimes, if they ask, I tell'm what I paid for timeshares via eBay.

Otherwise I just sit there attentively listening till the pitch is finished.

Then I politely say No Thanks & head on over to the freebies window.

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I pledge to never attend a Wyndham presentation again. I have no intention of EVER buying developer points. They are always rude, condescending and abusive to me, just because I own resale points. So I am through with them.
Being abused for hours while on vacation is just not worth a $50 or $100 debit card.

However, after owning several resale Starwoods I sold them all and bought from the developer. So I probably would attend an update for them if asked.

IF there was ever another system I wanted to learn about I would be open to attending a presentation at that system, but that's not in my plans right now. Not for the freebies, but for the info. Depending on the deal they made, I might buy. There is nothing wrong with a developer purchase if it is a fully informed one, and you go in with your eyes open.

I suppose we'll call this a provisional pledge :p

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
alexadeparis; said:
However, after owning several resale Starwoods I sold them all and bought from the developer.

In what universe would this make sense

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
However, after owning several resale Starwoods I sold them all and bought from the developer.

It must be one of those parallel universes in which their reality is the reverse of of our own.
There may be a bleed-through.

Its not that far-fetched. According to theoretical physicist, Brian Greene, it's possible that many other universes exist parallel to ours. -- from his book, "The Hidden Reality"

Last edited:

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
It must be one of those parallel universes in which their reality is the reverse of of our own.
There may be a bleed-through.

Its not that far-fetched. According to theoretical physicist, Brian Greene, it's possible that many other universes exist parallel to ours. -- from his book, "The Hidden Reality"

:rolleyes: ?sdrawkcab si gnihtyreve esrevinu esrever siht ni esoppus I oS

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

In my universe it did. Sorry it doesn't make sense to you. Not that I have to justify my purchase but here's what I did.

At one time, I owned the following units. Odd SDO 1 Bd (1-52), Even WMH 2bd (low season), Odd PGA plat, Annual Vistana courts 2 bd, all resale - total investment about $800 to buy. MF's were over $2k a year, and I was stuck using only Interval for trading. It was impossible to ever get the starwood trades that I really wanted, namely Harborside and St John, despite depositing early, etc. I decided I wanted staroptions. Period. So I sold three on my own and still had one unit left.

So at the time I bought from Starwood, they took back the one unit that was hard for me to give away. That also lowered my MF's from at that point, $1200 a year to less than $800 a year. I had decided that what I really wanted was an EOY, since I have an EOY in another system and my vacation time has decreased.

So I ended up buying two 2 bedroom units from starwood for a total of just under $14k. They are EOY in the same year, so I get 152,000 staroptions every even year. In 2012 I am going to WSJ on staroptions in a 2 bedroom for $1600 (2 yrs of MF). Far less than the MF at WSJ. Or if I choose to deposit those units into Interval in 2014 to try to get Hawaii through the Starwood preference, I can get two weeks in a 2 bedroom unit for $1600 plus about $400 in exchange fees. Again, far less than the MF at WKORV/N.

I also no longer have to pay for my Interval account, since I have sold off all other II units but my Starwood developer unit.

I can also convert to starpoints, which everyone says is a poor value, yada, yada,yada. But with my MF's the starpoints are less than 2 cents per point, and those starpoints can buy me 2 weeks in the class of hotels I like to stay at when in middle america, so that increases my flexibility even further.

I owned resales for years before I decided to go to the "dark side" and buy from the developer. I felt the deal was good enough to make me ok with the purchase while getting the staroptions/points I really wanted. And yes, I could have bought mandatory resale and gotten a similar deal, probably. But I wanted to be able to be starwood gold and have starpoints as an option.

So to make a blanket statement that one will not attend a presentation or buy from the developer EVER seems rather closed minded. If the deal is good, I think there is something to be said for developer purchases.

Last edited:

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
I pledge not to take a MEXICAN timeshare presentation ever again. Especially if it is the Grupo Mayan presentation. Everything else is open to consideration.

I've decided all incentives must equal $400 or greater for me to sit through it.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I've decided all incentives must equal $400 or greater for me to sit through it.

I've got to tell my husband to raise his minimum. He'll usually go for $100 if we have time to kill. ;)

Sheila

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
have not done one in a long time. The freebies are not usually good enough.

I would consider doing a Marriott or DVC. I would never do a Wyndham or Hilton again

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gotten many "personal" presentations by telling the receptionist that I wasn't there for a gift but would like for a salesman to show me around. Most salesmen were great; answered all my questions; and were not put out that I didn't buy.

George

zazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I doubt I'll be going to a presentation anytime soon but won't take the pledge. If I have free time, I think it's a service to the community to take up a salespersons time with someone who won't buy. Plus if I am feeling especially sadistic, my wife have and I have a great good cop/bad cop routine at presentations.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I teach psychology (or rather, I did before I became ill), and some of the main topics I taught were social influence and persuasion. I find it fascinating to see how the salespeople try to manipulate me. Some of the salespeople are true sociopaths. It's amazing how they don't care if they get caught in a lie.

Timeshare presentations: A great place to study the dark side of human nature!

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing today

I was thinking the same thing today when I was in the mall watching the sales people trying to sell everyone the 'power bands' wrist bands, with all their claims of "perfect health here ever after if you just buy and wear this." Anything to make a buck, or the sale (and the two are very different, aren't they) I guess...

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I broke my pledge today...

I know - it hasn't even been 60 days, but... I'm in Orlando, and wanted to see the Disney models, so I took the tour. This one is a little different though. Truly no high pressure, and no bribes for being there.

The models were interesting. The Aulani 2 BR is really a lock off, but as this a points system, that fact is irrelevant. The Rep did offer Vero Beach for $75 per point, but conceded that the high MFs made that a less attractive deal.

I have firmly resisted the Wyndham, Westgate and Starwood reps in the malls, however, and am back on the wagon as far as they are concerned.

california-bighorn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harder than I thought

I took that pledge three years ago but fell off the wagon earlier this month when my wife got us into attending what turned out to be a Grand Luxx presentation in San Jose del Cabo. While I was at the counter getting the rental car at Alamo, two guys were talking to my wife outside and outbidding each other. My wife agreed for us to go when it got to 4000 Pesos and something at the Spa.
BTW, they started with a package at $169,000 and ended up at $6,900 and I was never interested in anything they had to offer at any price.

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it fascinating to see how the salespeople try to manipulate me. Some of the salespeople are true sociopaths. It's amazing how they don't care if they get caught in a lie.

They could always be politicians, if the sales gig doesn't work out.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
I said that I would never be duped into another Owner's Update after Massanutten

That was about six years ago. I really thought it was an update and I wanted to see the changes that had taken place at the resort. It was a long, long day and a waste of a vacation day. It was also high-pressure and they got pretty rude.

Never say never.

Well, today I got a card from one of my local resort ownerships (40 minutes from home). It's an owners' update. Why would I consider it?

I'm not using vacation time. I can pop down there for the afternoon, go on the tour and either have lunch or dinner afterwards at one of my favorite restaurants.

The resort underwent a complete renovation in 2010 and I haven't seen all the updates. This is a great opportunity to check things out.

I don't have to coerce my husband into going. It only requires everyone on the deed to attend. I'm the only one on the deed.

I'm not too familiar with tablets, but Christmas is coming up. I get a pass for the Holiday Lights on the Boardwalk and a wireless-ready Android Touchpad Tablet. Wow, there's also a festive reception with holiday snacks. Oh, boy.

I'll be happy to tour and listen to the salesman. I will also buy if he can offer a similar deal as I got when I purchased my three weeks at this resort group (summer beach weeks bought on eBay).

It's seems like a win-win situation for me. Hopefully, it will be.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I get just as experienced as the TS salespersons. I am curious to see which techniques the salesperson uses and I am very good in not buying and cutting the time of the presentation. But I do have a price, my time is money as well. So I bargain about the catch. Learned that on TUG as well! And that works cause the sales people are often desperate to sell. Last catches: $ 750 plus breakfast plus free taxi all in 90 min, $ 500 plus breakfast in 90 min, $ 125 plus breakfast and 2 bonus weeks in 75 min, $ 75 plus breakfast and 1 bonus week and 3 hotel stays in 40 min. With every presentation I count the time, when the breakfast is good buffet style I take my time and enjoy. Actually these four presenations were not so bad and 3 of the 4 salespersons were rather nice to talk to. 2 Nice women, 1 nice man and 1 man who couldn't hide his anger. That was the one time we were outside in 40 min. It was all good cash or deducted from the resort bill. It saved us money and when you get the hang of it and know how to play the game, it's not so bad. Never get mad, enjoy your breakfast, think of George Clooney, smile and just say no, thank you. :)

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have gotten many "personal" presentations by telling the receptionist that I wasn't there for a gift but would like for a salesman to show me around. Most salesmen were great; answered all my questions; and were not put out that I didn't buy.

George

thats what i have done as well. for example, when staying at the mariott hotel in marco island, i wanted to see crystal shores (the new mariott timeshare that had recently opened) as option for another visit. I called and requested to see it and was clear i wanted no handouts and wanted it to be quick. they were very responsive. i told them when i had time and we stopped by, met a sales agent and got a 20 minute run-through. they called it an "informational tour".. all up front, everyone with clear expectations and quite pleasant.

it was effective and we returned the next year on exchange .

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains