• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Day trip from Oahu to Big Island?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So this is a really long shot, but here goes:

We'll be spending a week on Oahu in about six weeks. We've been to Oahu many times (I used to live there) so sacrificing a day or two of Oahu time for a trip to the Big Island isn't a big thing. With the lava flowing into the sea these days (yes, I know it stops and starts without warning), we're thinking if it's happening when we're there, about seeing if we can figure a way to hop over to the BI, see the lava flow from the water, then head back to Oahu for the rest of our week. Checking out early from our non-timeshare location on Oahu isn't an option, due to a special rate we got that requires staying the full week. So this has to be a side trip during the week, over and back.

I've searched online but haven't had any luck finding any tour companies who do single-day charters. I'd think the lava flowing would be a reason to have such a thing. Money may be the deal-breaker, more than the time, but I'm optimistic. Does anybody have any ideas, or info about a company that does this? I'm not against getting day-trip airline tickets and renting a car. We have accommodations available in Volcano if we need them.

Whatcha think?

Dave

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi Dave - We did exactly that:

-Got an early morning flight to the BI.
-Rented a car.
-Picked up a lunch, cold drinks, and a small ice chest.
-Drove to the park.
-Did the lava trail walk.
-Drove back to the airport.
-Flew back to Oahu.

Very doable.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We (with an East Coast ski friend) flew over for a day trip Jan 1991, flying from Oahu (a 7 night airline trip) to the Big Island. Active flow .. about 1/2 mile hike from an original parking lot to the edge where the lava was flowing into the ocean. Not crowded - saw maybe 20 or fewer other people on the way out and back.

It was amazing ... but realized later, there was no way of getting help or preventing us from getting LOST. Sort of thought that the moon might be like that landscape.

We flew into the airport on the wrong side of the island from where the lava flow was happening. Lesson I am passing on to you ... make sure you go to the closer airport... not circle over 1/2 way around the island. It was do-able back then but I would bet, there are MANY more cars & people living there now.

LilyPond

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Dave - We did exactly that:

-Got an early morning flight to the BI.
-Rented a car.
-Picked up a lunch, cold drinks, and a small ice chest.
-Drove to the park.
-Did the lava trail walk.
-Drove back to the airport.
-Flew back to Oahu.

Very doable.

Sounds like a great day trip and as DeniseM outlines, it can work! If you really want a view from a boat, you might look into a private charter, I have no idea of the cost. There should be a walking path to the ocean to see the lava flow, it will depend on the lava flow conditions on the day you are there. It's been a long time since I've gone, but they used to have a trailer at the end of the road with the conditions posted. Here is a website that might help:
https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Enjoy!

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lava Boat Tours

I've searched online but haven't had any luck finding any tour companies who do single-day charters. I'd think the lava flowing would be a reason to have such a thing. Money may be the deal-breaker, more than the time, but I'm optimistic. Does anybody have any ideas, or info about a company that does this? I'm not against getting day-trip airline tickets and renting a car. We have accommodations available in Volcano if we need them.

Whatcha think?

Dave

Dave,

Did you Google "lava boat tours"? There are several companies that do single-day charters. Good luck with your search and enjoy your visit to the islands! CJ

Last edited by a moderator:

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
We just got back from the Big Island, and one of the best things we did was to see the volcano at night. The other thing we did, which was spectacular, was to see the lava flowing into the water. The boat tours book up fast, so you should definitely book in advance.

The boat trips all leave from a park that is about an hour drive from the entrance to the National Park, so if you're combining both, allow for driving time back and forth.

Or, if you can build in an extra day at the front end of your trip, you might consider doing what we did. We were staying in Waikoloa on the other side of the island, and we were traveling to Hawaii from the east coast. We built in an extra day at the front end of our trip, and drove to the National Park directly from the airport, and stayed overnight at Volcano House (the lodge inside the National Park on the rim of the crater). We were jetlagged on our first night, so we had a nice dinner in the lodge's restaurant, which overlooks the glowing crater, stayed up as late as we could, and then, when we were awake super early the next morning, we got up and went to the Jagger Museum look-out to see the sunrise over the volcano. Volcano House will loan you bikes (for free), so we then biked around the National Park, which was really fun, for a couple of hours. Then, we checked out of the lodge and went from there to check in to our timeshare. It was a really great start to our trip.

If you're doing it as a day trip from Honolulu, however, you might check out Roberts Overnighters. They do day trips to the Big Island. http://www.robertshawaii.com/things-do/island-hopping

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the ideas. I've been to the BI a number of times, (most recently, just last year to officiate my brother's wedding on the black sand beach at Punalu'u), and I know the "lay of the land" pretty well. We've seen the lava flowing across land a number of times, and have viewed the glow at night from the Jaeger Museum overlook. We've hiked across the lava beds from the end of Chain of Craters Road by flashlight to watch the lava falling from the Pali in the dark, and it was all very impressive. This trip would be to see it from the water - the one point of view we haven't had. Being married to a photography nut makes me find myself in lots of crazy places at all hours... ;)

Denise's idea was my first thought - that the trip itself is definitely doable. The issue is booking a boat tour. We'd have to stay overnight in the Volcano area, since Pahoa isn't far from there. (An alternate choice is trying to book one night at the Sea Mountain timeshare, which is right down the road.) In either case, it's an easy drive to get on the boat early in the morning.

Trip Advisor has mixed reviews on the boat tours, and nobody is showing prices. I need to make a few phone calls, and see what I can arrange. I was initially looking for an all-inclusive fly-sleep-boat tour package thing from Oahu, but I don't think they exist. Putting one together myself is fine, if that's the only option. The caveat is being able to cancel things if Pele stops letting the lava flow into the ocean. ;)

BTW, I found airfare on IslandAir to be on a great sale right now - if you're 62 or more, or have a child under 12 with you, your whole party gets a lower fare. (Check into their Kupuna and Keiki fare sale, if it applies to you.) It's a pretty good deal.

Thanks again,
Dave

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
You're flying into Hilo, correct? I know it may seem obvious, but just in case!

P.S. I'd stay in a B&B in Hilo or the lodge in VNP overnight so I could see the lava at night, but it's really up to you.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

P.S. I'd stay in a B&B in Hilo or the lodge in VNP overnight so I could see the lava at night, but it's really up to you.

Hi Lisa. If you see my post just prior to yours, it looks like IslandAir would be the carrier we'll use - and they only fly into Kona. Hawaiian Airlines pricing was nearly double what IslandAir is charging right now. A definite savings.

I agree, the Volcano area would be the best place to stay. Whether it's a night at a B&B owned by a friend, (Hale Ohia), the military camp inside VNP, or even a night at Sea Mountain t/s, it's all good. It's mainly just a place to sleep. Since the boats all board from the marina at Pahoa, I'd want to be as close to that as we can be. Those places would each put us about a half-hour away from Pahoa. And at Oh-Dark-Thirty in the morning, "close" is a good thing. :)

Dave

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Lisa. If you see my post just prior to yours, it looks like IslandAir would be the carrier we'll use - and they only fly into Kona. Hawaiian Airlines pricing was nearly double what IslandAir is charging right now. A definite savings.Dave

Okay, but keep in mind that flying in/out of Hilo will save you 4 hours of driving time, plus the cost of gas.

FYI, we stayed at Aloha Junction B&B. It was "rustic" but clean, and the price was right. Ate a Kilauea Lodge.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

The only change I'd make is to stay at a B&B in Volcano rather than Hilo.

We always stay at the Kilauea Lodge, but if Dave has other alternatives, those work. :D

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only change I'd make is to stay at a B&B in Volcano rather than Hilo.

We always stay at the Kilauea Lodge, but if Dave has other alternatives, those work. :D

Aloha Junction is just 3 minutes outside of Volcanoes National Park and excellent if you're on a budget.

Kilauea Lodge is really nice, but probably pricier. I'd definitely make reservations for dinner, as it tends to sell out.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Aloha Junction is just 3 minutes outside of Volcanoes National Park and excellent if you're on a budget.

Kilauea Lodge is really nice, but probably pricier. I'd definitely make reservations for dinner, as it tends to sell out.

When we go we usually go for a few nights, and since we're staying in timeshares the rest of the time, it's one of our few splurges.

Definitely need reservations for dinner. For those who use OpenTable, you can make them there. They have recently (in the last few years) opened up at breakfast for those not staying at the Lodge. The wonderful, included breakfast, is still available for guests, and it's expanded to include more options. The menu for non guests is different.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
We booked this lava boat tour, when we were there two weeks ago.

http://www.kohalatours.com/volcano-boat-tours/

It was a VERY rough ride out to the lava and back --bring a poncho or sit in the back, because you'll be completely drenched by the time you get there. And if you get motion sickness, take a dramamine. But we got very close to the lava, and it was terrific.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We booked this lava boat tour, when we were there two weeks ago.

http://www.kohalatours.com/volcano-boat-tours/

It was a VERY rough ride out to the lava and back --bring a poncho or sit in the back, because you'll be completely drenched by the time you get there. And if you get motion sickness, take a dramamine. But we got very close to the lava, and it was terrific.

Thanks for the referral! I'll check them out.

Dave