• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Board Games for 11 and 13 year olds?

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every year we pick cards from a children's Christmas gift tree & buy gifts for them. This year I got cards from an 11 year old and a 13 year old. Both of them requested "Board Games". No further explanation. Does anyone know which board games would be favorites of boys that age?

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Blokus

Assuming they already have monopoly and Uno. We got Blokus a couple years ago - it's a real award winner. Rummikub is an old favorite too. And Mancala.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Risk was my sons favorite at around that age.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Scattergories and Pictionary.

Skittles1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Headbandz is a lot of fun. Would You Rather is a good one too. The game of Life is always a good game too. Or Clue.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Catchphrase is hilarious !!! Great for kids, teenagers and adults !!

Bop it! is a pretty neat game (not really a board game). The new one is Bop It Extreme.

Of course Uno or the newer one, Uno Extreme are great as well. Lately we have been on an Uno Extreme kick since both kids have been sick from school all week. We play at least an hour per night!

Trouble is my all time favorite. One minute you've almost won, then the lead changes!

My kids (7 and 9) would rather play board games than play Wii most of the time. Quality family time.:D

Corinne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Apples to Apples. It's more of a card game than a board game, but very fun for all ages, especially for 11-13 year olds. (Don't get the adult version. It's a little too...adult).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harry Potter CLUE (as well as the traditional Clue edition)! So much fun. We play it all the time. :) My DD is 12 and it's the perfect age. Also love Yahtzee if you are looking for something smaller/less pricy!

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow!

I'm more over the hill than I thought, Never heard of most of these. Thanks to all for your help. Thanks to you this won't be as hard as it might have been.
I love doing this but always worry the kids won't be happy with my choices. The hard part is we never get feedback.

sstamm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the suggestion of Risk.

My son, now 15, has enjoyed that for a number of years.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I second the apples to apples, my teenaged nephew and niece love to play it with the family. It's fun and luck is as important as knowledge, which makes it easier when playing a game with all ages.

A note-I think we are playing the "adult" version, and I don't recall anything inappropriate about it?

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scrabble is fun for kids that age if they are at all decent at spelling.

I liked the game of Life at that age.

A good old checkers/chess/backgammon set is great too.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of SEQUENCE ???
It's kind of a combination of cards/bingo----strategic fun.

It is best for three or more, but is 'okay' for just two.

I would HIGHLY suugest that one!!!

(The forementioned Apples to Apples is VERY good, Scattergories is quite good also.)

Pat

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about chess or banana gram similar to Scrabble.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stratego? That was always a good one.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love board games - some of my newer favorites:

Settlers of Cataan - the premise sounds boring but it is far from it. It is somewhat like monopoly but is more random as the board is a puzzle of hexagons and each hexagon represents a commodity. Each settler is trying to build a settlement and the components of the settlements (houses, roads, settlements). If you decide on this, add the expansion pack so that more people can play.

Blokus and Blokus Trigon are both favorites.

+1 for Apples to Apples - everyone in the family loves this game

A really old game that is difficult to find is called Acquire - I played this game every night for years --- and it is a great combination of luck and skill so that everyone can play. I recommend looking for the old version with the raised board for setting the tiles in. We wore out 2 of these games and I have restocked them from ebay. This Avalon Hill Game or this MMM game are what you are looking for.

And Taboo .

We like games that can transcend age groups. So that the adults and kids can play together.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you heard of SEQUENCE ???
It's kind of a combination of cards/bingo----strategic fun.

It is best for three or more, but is 'okay' for just two.

I would HIGHLY suugest that one!!!

(The forementioned Apples to Apples is VERY good, Scattergories is quite good also.)

Pat

My son has loved sequence since he was the age of these boys. Jordan is a special needs child so some things are harder than others. He particularly loved this game because he could win.

We love all of these games --- and that reminded me that we got Balderdash about the same time. It is great fun - a bluffing game.

natasha5687

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phase 10 and/or Phase 10 Masters are great game for all ages but they are card games. I have 3 boys (4,12,14) who love to play and the adults love to join in as well. Buy 2 decks...1 for the child and the other for yourself.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally forgot about Sequence! Great game.

Another one, sorta off the grid, is Play Nine. It's a card game based on pairs and golf scoring (bogey, par, eagle). My son absolutely loves this game. :)

kwilson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too many suggestions.

But thanks again. I bought Risk and Clue. I also suffered sticker shock. I had no idea a board game could cost 25 bucks! Oh well, if it makes the kids happy it was cheap.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
chess and go

tlwmkw

Reaction score
Labyrinth- it's a game where you have to search for certain items on the board and the board changes as the players take their turns. My kids love it.

Apples to apples is good. Who-nu? is also a very good card type game. My kids love Blokus too.

tlwmkw