• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Upgrade Succcess?

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with the new RCI upgrade feature? If so, can you share what type of upgrade you received and how close to check-in you made the match?

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since a little time had passed, I figured I'd check again. Anyone get an upgrade request fulfilled?

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
NEVER ~ I am a Priority member and have made many exchanges through RCI for the 2/3 years (or how ever long they have been offering this benefit) and always requested an upgrade. Never got one yet!!:shrug:

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've tried it once with a vacation in Portugal. Its a few years back. I orginally confirmed a 1BR but got upgraded to a 2BR at the same resort.

Regards.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I was successful in January not only of the upgrade but also changing to another resort. It was about 5 days prior to check in at an Orlando resort.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was successful in January not only of the upgrade but also changing to another resort. It was about 5 days prior to check in at an Orlando resort.

Curious how the move to a different resort works--is there a way to tell them beforehand that you'd really prefer 'xyz' resort if it's made available?

Thx.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You can request up to 5 specific resorts in the same general area. At your booked resort they will upgrade you to a larger size if available. For the other 5 resorts they will auto-rebook you into the same size or larger than your current confirmed unit.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm very curious to know if there is any more evidence of success with the upgrade program. I can see the limits on RCI's ability to fulfill requests like this-- people requesting to be upgraded from a studio in the desert in August to a 1 bedroom on the beach in Carlsbad. I'm hoping to see evidence of realistic upgrades fulfilled.
I have put in a request for an upgrade to test the system-- I'm looking for fair upgrade, prime for prime, but the limiting factor is the availability in the prime locations I want. I know my chances are extremely slim.
Assuming RCI is fulfilling these (and I do recognize the evidence above), it's really difficult to get a feel for how often they are fulfilled and to what degree. And, it's even more difficult to weed through the limiting factors-- people with unreasonable requests v. people who just want a larger room.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It matched overnight. It doesn't continuously look and prime deposits even last minute don't usually last very long online. You may be able to get a guide to manually do the upgrade during business hours but it may not last online long enough for you to call and get through and explain what you would like to have done. I think these upgrades are going to most likely be in the traditional places of high availability during mid to lower demand. The difference in tpu's if booked in the larger unit to begin with probably isn't going to be in the 2-6 range so for most just booking the larger unit if that is what you need would be the easiest thing to do.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I just put in for one at HGVC Kings Land in May, I'll reply again if it pays off. I like the fact you arent charged unless it matches, unlike II where there is a cost for ePlus and you have to search yourself.

I dont think it will match anything since it was a bulk bank last year and I got a 1br, but it doesnt cost me anything to try.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Once we were upgraded in Hawaii from the 1 st floor to 2nd floor. Not sure how much of an upgrade that really was. I never would have known unless I asked.

scotlass

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got an upgrade in St. Maarten from Simpsons Bay Resort and Marina, studio, to Belair Beach Hotel, 2 bedroom! Happy camper!

Epocjoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm currently booked in 1 bedroom next week in Cancun. How would I request an upgrade?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I put in for an upgrade for a unit in the Orlando area. One came through this morning at the same resort I was originally booked into. I went from a one bedroom unit to a two bedroom unit. Actually from what I can tell it is the other side of a lock out that makes two one bedroom a two bedroom. I was actually hoping to be moved to a better resort. I don't need the two bedroom, there are only two of us. I was hoping for a resort with more amenities. There was no way to select just the other resort feature.

Catira

TUG Member
Reaction score
Besides paying the upgrade fee if another unit becomes available do you all pay another exchange fee? Also, if you don't like what's offered to you as an upgrade can you decline and wait for another to become available ? Thanks

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your platinum RCI then the upgrade is free. I don't think you can decline, so picked the resorts you would go into when you added the resorts to the upgrade list. Your original resort is also listed with a larger size unit as being the choice. That is what I was upgraded to. A larger unit, what I really wanted was a different resort. The upgrade option is no longer available on my confirmed unit section of the RCI website.

tlguinn_2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got upgraded

I was upgraded from a 1-bedroom at Caribbean Beach Club in Ft Myers beach Florida to a 2-bedroom at Casa Ybel Resort on Sanibel Island Florida. I think that is a pretty good upgrade. I got the email April 9th and our reservation is for April 22.
NOTE: We were originally scheduled to arrive at Caribbean Beach Club on April 23. We were staying in Orlando until April 23 but now we will have to leave from there a day early since when we got upgraded. I had put in different dates than our original planned arrival day so I knew this was a possibility. So MAKE SURE you can go on the alternate dates that you select for an upgrade because they can change.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a great upgrade!

I was upgraded from a 1-bedroom at Caribbean Beach Club in Ft Myers beach Florida to a 2-bedroom at Casa Ybel Resort on Sanibel Island Florida. I think that is a pretty good upgrade. I got the email April 9th and our reservation is for April 22.
NOTE: We were originally scheduled to arrive at Caribbean Beach Club on April 23. We were staying in Orlando until April 23 but now we will have to leave from there a day early since when we got upgraded. I had put in different dates than our original planned arrival day so I knew this was a possibility. So MAKE SURE you can go on the alternate dates that you select for an upgrade because they can change.

I haven't used this feature yet. Congratulations on the double upgrade.

Gaozhen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas, Divi Little Bay
Just got an upgrade in St. Maarten from Simpsons Bay Resort and Marina, studio, to Belair Beach Hotel, 2 bedroom! Happy camper!

Love Belair Beach Hotel! A bit dated and simple, but super comfortable and the best beach access on the island! Great service too. We go with our in-laws every year we can. :)

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

This was a great upgrade. It gives me hope.

I was going to cancel the upgraded membership but even if only one of my trades each year gets a good upgrade it will be worth the additional cost.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first exchange as RCI Platinum and I noticed the upgrade feature for the original resort and up to 5 others.

I put in requests for 2 other resorts in the area - but don't have much hope of them matching.

For me I would have taken less than what they offer....

I have a 2 BR limited kitchen and would take a 1 BR with a full kitchen at the other resorts. Also, upgrade at my original trade could have been something with a full kitchen for me. Neither of these is an option to choose. Guess I will still have to keep an eye on open availability for this. Wonder if they would still give as complimentary if I found something and had to call in for it.

EDIT: I called RCI. No way of requesting a smaller unit at another resort AND even if I found one online, they would charge the 2nd exchange fee. Truly only for room size upgrades at same resort or same size or bigger at different resorts I guess.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Got an upgrade to different resort

:banana:
I'm thrilled, never thought this would happen. This was the first time I tried.

12 days out, received an upgrade to a 2 bedroom at Sanibel Beach Club, Sanibel Island from a 1 bedroom at Costa Del Sol at Lauderdale by the Sea.

I received confirmation at 4 pm , was on Rci about 15 minutes earlier, with no upgrade and no Sanibel Beach Club available for a trade.

Last edited:

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I had wondered if anyone was ever successful with the upgrades. nice to know there is hope!

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
:banana:
I'm thrilled, never thought this would happen. This was the first time I tried.

12 days out, received an upgrade to a 2 bedroom at Sanibel Beach Club, Sanibel Island from a 1 bedroom at Costa Del Sol at Lauderdale by the Sea.

I received confirmation at 4 pm , was on Rci about 15 minutes earlier, with no upgrade and no Sanibel Beach Club available for a trade.

So are you saying your call to them helped to 'move things along?' Congrats for a great upgrade--just wondering if this is a strategy to use in future requests.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So are you saying your call to them helped to 'move things along?' Congrats for a great upgrade--just wondering if this is a strategy to use in future requests.

No, I was online, no call.

It was stated in a previous post " It matched overnight. It doesn't continuously look and prime deposits even last minute don't usually last very long online."
My upgrade seems to be different then this statement. It happened during the day, and didn't show online a few minutes earlier.