• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is it worth it [$38 airline seat upgrade]

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
For our trip to San Francisco from West Palm Beach on Delta Airlines next May we can pay $38.00 for upgraded seating from coach to seats with four inches more leg room and priority boarding. Has anyone done this? Is the extra 4 inches worth it? We get early boarding already due to DH's health. Is there any other perk that makes it worth the additional fee?

Suzanne

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It is absolutely worth it - $38 is a great deal!

mbh

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely

For a cross country flight $38 is great. Do it. The last time I flew Delta cross-country and paid for the upgrade, I even got an extra snack.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
With the fierce competition for carry-on space, early boarding is a huge plus, as well.

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
Absolutely, the ride will be so much more comfortable.

snickers104

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview RCI Points, Wyndham CWA
I'm 6'3, the extra leg room is a blessing on a long flight. I don't fly unless i can upgrade/ get an 'exit row'

I am 6'4" and the extra leg room is a MUST!!!!

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
For our trip to San Francisco from West Palm Beach on Delta Airlines next May we can pay $38.00 for upgraded seating from coach to seats with four inches more leg room and priority boarding. Has anyone done this? Is the extra 4 inches worth it? We get early boarding already due to DH's health. Is there any other perk that makes it worth the additional fee?

Suzanne
I always upgrade. But the last time I flew Delta, I didn't notice any difference in leg room, visually or physically, although the seat was clearly marked 'Economy Comfort".

With US Airways, I definitely notice the difference. It helps a lot when the person in front of you folds their seat down in your face. :eek:

Last edited:

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
With the fierce competition for carry-on space, early boarding is a huge plus, as well.

Well, this doesn't always work as advertised. Last week when we flew to Florida, I paid the extra $38 for two of us mainly because we had a very tight connection in Atlanta, and thought we would get out faster since the seats were in row 11. (I already get Zone 1 boarding anyway because of my Delta Amex card, so there was no added early boarding advantage.) But guess what - by the time all the Sky priority folks boarded, there was no room in the overheads for our bags that far front, and we had to put them above row 25. So - we had to wait for nearly everyone to get off the plane before we could go back and get the bags.

We did make the connection, but just barely.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. I will go ahead and take advantage of the offer.

Suzanne

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We upgraded to 'economy comfort' round trip LAX-Sydney and back on Virgin Australia. It was about a 25% upcharge iirc, with no change in taxes/fees from coach. The tax/fee add-on was kind of a surprise after we've become used to all-in pricing for domestic flights. For 15 hour flights the extra room and further recline will be welcome.

Jim

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
On a cross country flight I'd upgrade. We usually upgrade on flights 3 hours or longer. If the flight is less than 2 hours we don't upgrade. Fights between 2 and 3 hours it just depends on connection times and the equipment. I rarely upgrade on the smaller commuter jets.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are you sure the entire route was only $38 and not just a single statement? I often see on our United reservations to purchase upgrades from $XX. The price they show there is for the shortest leg of the entire itinerary. So if we are traveling CMH-ORD-HNL, it would show the price for CMH-ORD. ORD-HNL would be a much higher upgrade price.

We never pay to upgrade. We need more width if we need more room, extra legroom is not important.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked a ticket on Delta and it looked like there was an upgrade charge for each leg of the trip. Ours was a two leg each way and the cost would be $73.00 per person per direction.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just be really watchful if they move your itinerary to another plane and juggle the seats around so you don't end up with what you've paid for. This happened to us once. I have learned over time to regularly check in on the reservations to see if they've moved our seating with any change.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I will double check that the $38.00 fee is for the entire trip. The price popped up for the upgrade when I was purchasing our tickets on the Delta site. Our flight is West Palm Beach to Atlanta then change planes for the flight to San Francisco. It also said I could do the upgrade at any time prior to our flight.

Suzanne

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I will double check that the $38.00 fee is for the entire trip. Our flight is West Palm Beach to Atlanta then change planes for the flight to San Francisco.

It also said I could do the upgrade at any time prior to our flight.

There will be a price for each segment of the trip, and it depends on the distance, so it is likely more than $38.

Also, those seats can go fast, so if you plan to do the upgrade I would do it sooner rather than later.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There will be a price for each segment of the trip, and it depends on the distance, so it is likely more than $38.

Also, those seats can go fast, so if you plan to do the upgrade I would do it sooner rather than later.

In cases like this I'll usually just pay the fee for the longer segment of the trip.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked with Delta. The fee is $9.00 per each flight. The $38.00 fee is for the round trip flight for each of us. Total for entire trip for the two of us would be $76.00. Since the Atlanta leg is just short flight I may do as Luanne suggested and just pay the upgrade fee for the Atlanta to San Francisco and return San Francisco to Atlanta flights. Thanks again for every ones help.

Suzanne

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worth checking first class prices

Just a suggestion - it's worth checking first class ticket prices. I just booked tickets (super late!) for a trip after Christmas and the coach direct flight was only $128 less than first class. The upgrade charge for economy comfort was $80/RT. So for $48 more, we get first class tickets - maybe not worth it for the small perks but definitely worth it for the leg room and bonus miles. (50% mileage bonus for the extra $50). If you fly frequently, you'll also get status more quickly.

It's not terribly common, but I've done this a few times, to SFO, Bermuda, Geneva, and a couple other times when the difference in fair was minimal.

Last edited:

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful when booking US Airways "Choice Seats". They do NOT offer any more leg room than the regular economy. They let you do Zone 2 boarding which we get anyway if we use our US Airways credit card.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Be careful when booking US Airways "Choice Seats". They do NOT offer any more leg room than the regular economy. They let you do Zone 2 boarding which we get anyway if we use our US Airways credit card.

Every time I fly with U S Airways I pay extra for the "Choice Seats" and notice a distinct difference (physically and visually) between those seats and the standard coach seats. Maybe not as much on the smaller shuttles, but definitely on the cross country flights.

But Delta is another story. I don't notice any difference with their Quality Comfort seats.

Another Issue. After a plane gets in the air, people move around into empty seats. With US Airways, the Flight Attendants won't let someone move to an upgraded seat unless they paid for it. But on Delta, I've had people move from a standard coach seat to the seat next to me, which shouldn't be the case.

I liked Delta when we flew to Italy, but I haven't been happy with their domestic USA service, at least not the times we have flown between Las Vegas and Florida.