• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

my opnion on hhv

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at the Lagoon now. The room is great, large, and although the decor could do with some upgrading, it is still very acceptable. The has to be a balance of "brand new", first class and the amount people want to pay in maintenance fees.
One complaint though. I am in a "#60" room, facing the parking garage, and the luau is annoyingly LOUD! The first night it was somewhat of a novelty, but it is on 5 nights a week.

Just got back from a "#65" room at Lagoon. In addition to the luau, there were two nights of "events" on the lawn. And even when they were over, there was still the amplified sounds of the entertainment at the Tapa Bar until 11pm.

I'd say annoyingly LOUD is an apt description. :annoyed:

So far I've read that the area above the pool is really loud during the day and now there are these other areas. Does someone have an overhead photo that would depict where the pool and luau are located? I'm debating about a stay at the HHV-Lagoon towers. With one kid still napping in the afternoon and kids who sleep by 8 pm, I would need to know there are actually locations where we would be able to avoid excessively loud noise with the windows closed. Is the lagoon side the only quiet side? If so, then the odds seem against us (as exchangers).

jestme

Reaction score
So far I've read that the area above the pool is really loud during the day and now there are these other areas. Does someone have an overhead photo that would depict where the pool and luau are located? I'm debating about a stay at the HHV-Lagoon towers. With one kid still napping in the afternoon and kids who sleep by 8 pm, I would need to know there are actually locations where we would be able to avoid excessively loud noise with the windows closed. Is the lagoon side the only quiet side? If so, then the odds seem against us (as exchangers).

Take the exchange if you can get it. The rooms that end in room numbers 60 and 72 are on the back of the Lagoon tower. Those rooms directly face the luau, but it is over just before 8:00PM anyhow. The rooms over the new pool are noisy, but if you close the lanai (balcony) door, it is fine. Go to http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/ and click on the "resort map" at the top of the page. The luau is held on the roof of the mid-pacific convention center, at the Lagoon Tower end of it. The Paradise pool is on the left of the Lagoon Tower.

HatTrick

Reaction score
This is an older map and doesn't show the GW or the new pool.

HiltonHawaiianVillage_map.jpg

The luau is held on the rooftop garden, and the pool (which is now much larger) is at 6:00 in relation to the Lagoon Tower, rather than 3:00.

Amy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional information! We last stayed at the Lagoon Tower around 9 years ago (?) when we still owned HGVC. I can't believe how many more towers/units have been added since then and I am a bit concerned about the feel of the place the additional crowds. That visit was our one and only vacation on Oahu; I was not a fan of Honolulu and would much rather go to Maui. However, I think my BIL and FIL would prefer the action packed city over the quieter resort environments elsewhere and I am planning to invite them to join us for our next and first trip since having kids (so someone can watch the boys while DH and I stroll along the beach. :D)

I am so tempted by the December 2011 2BR HHV I have on hold. Now it is a question of whether I go ahead and confirm it as a sure thing or wait for another year to see if I could get am exchange for the same week (week before Xmas) via II for the quieter and less-crowded resort setting at Marriott Ko Olina. DVC at KoOlina is supposed to open by then as well but I suspect I won't be able to afford to book that week.

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Our last trip to HHV was in October 2004. We stayed in the lagoon tower and had a fantastic trip.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Did they mention what your renovation assessment will be?

One thing that I think has been fairly common amongst HGVC units undergoing renovation is that they seem to spread the special assessment costs fairly well. We are having a special assessment at our property on Karen St in LV and they have spread the extra cost over a couple of years.

I have read threads here on TUG where the owners are sent a very high bill, and it's all due in one year, which for many of us would be a hardship. So I am thankful that Hilton seems to at least manage the extra financial pain in increments and not in one large lump sum. :)

You know what? I have a problem with HGVC asking for Special Assessments for renovations....they're already collecting yearly for that account. If they can't figure out how to do renovations with what they've already collected, I have a problem with that.

Had we actually been allowed to vote yes or no on the Special Assessment at Flamingo, I'd have said no. Work with what you've got.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know what? I have a problem with HGVC asking for Special Assessments for renovations....they're already collecting yearly for that account. If they can't figure out how to do renovations with what they've already collected, I have a problem with that.

Had we actually been allowed to vote yes or no on the Special Assessment at Flamingo, I'd have said no. Work with what you've got.

You know, I sort of agree. I probably would vote no if given the choice, but as you note, we aren't given a choice.

The only reason they are renovating on Karen Ave is that this club isn't as fancy as the new clubs - no granite counter tops etc...:eek: ....oh the horror...Formica!!!! :eek: ;) :D

jestme

Reaction score
This discussion should probably be in a separate thread, but I also agree. The MF's have a reserve portion that is supposed to be for renovating and depreciation. I'd rather pay into the reserve ongoing than have a "special assessment". Special assessments on top of reserves means that they didn't reserve properly in the first place, or they are overspending.

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
it's interesting that everyone has different tastes. I absolutely love HHV, especially the Lagoon Tower. I love it because of the location, the views and the resort amenities......

What section did you stay at?

Boca or anyone else: which tower has the best view of Wiakiki, looking toward Diamond Head?

Our first Hawaii experience was a stay on the 16th floor of the Rainbow Tower(hotel), pre-timeshares. We enjoyed an incredible view, spending hours on our small lanai.

a1000monkeys

Reaction score

I just returned from the Grand Waikian. We had room 701 which faced ocean front and was on the same level as the luau. I could see the top of the stage from our balcony but most of the view was obscured by the parking garage.

With the windows and doors closed, we really couldn't hear the luau. I don't know if the insulation is any worse in the Lagoon tower but I suspect with the windows closed and AC on, noise shouldn't be too much of an issue.

However, i would avoid the Ala Moana (street) side of the Grand Waikian. Our first room there was on a high floor (32) on the street side and even with the windows closed the street noise was still quite noticeable. Also, the lanai on that side was too windy to enjoy.