• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Easy to depost; hard to exchange

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
DAE seems great to use. It's very simple to deposit a fixed week you can't use. When I gave my Wyndham unit is Arkansas back to the association, the effective date was after my paid-for week, so I deposited the week. All it took was a phone call or two and maybe an email.

But when I wanted to find a week in exchange, things were not so easy. Suppose, like us, you wanted a resort that offered a specialty like one of these:
  • Golf
  • Tennis
  • Horseback riding
  • Kiddie pool
  • Bicycles and paths
  • Hot-tub/spa
  • Lawn bowling
  • Playground
  • Miniature golf (putt-putt)
  • Snorkeling
  • Clothing-Optional
  • Oceanfront
Suppose you didn't care where you golfed. Or when. You just wanted a different course. It didn't matter whether you golfed in Texas or South Dakota or anywhere else in the Americas.

You would have to search all 50 states, all the Canadian provinces, and all the Central America and South American countries, then go to the website for each available property to see if golf was an amenity. And then you would have to repeat the searches for each successive week.

If your desired specialty is one of the less popular ones, like horseback or clothing-optional, you could spend days finding a suitable exchange--or any exchange at all--that has the amenity.

This is just wrong. There are surely some people who exchange based on location. But there are surely more who exchange based on amenities. How hard can it be to set up the computer system so the depositor fills out a simple checklist of amenities at the deposited site? And to provide the prospective guest a search function based on a checklist of amenities, optionally filtered by location and date.

If it's a less common amenity like horseback or clothing-optional, the user doesn't want to do a bunch of null searches because of enforced filters. There's no value in frustrating him. What's the harm in showing the user too many results? If DAE doesn't want to disclose its full inventory, then limit the results to the first 50 or 100 hits when a popular amenity is searched.

We're retired--we don't care when we travel. And we have quite a few airline miles--we don't mind going across the country or internationally. But we like some things that aren't offered widely, and DAE is not accommodating us well.

The depositor should also have the option to add amenities (e.g., scuba diving or whale watching) to the checklist and these would automatically be added to the search list presented to every subsequent user seeking to find a unit. Once constructed, the system could be managed with minimal moderation.

I've mentioned this to three or four of the agents in Arizona, but they all blew me off. It seems like no one at DAE is really interested in improving the service they provide. And sadly, :( it looks like I will just let the week I deposited with DAE expire. :(

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have not come across any exchange companies that provide this sort of search capabilities. Would it be useful? Sure, however it will involve a redesign of the system, including fields to be indexed. Also, how do you differentiate between golf on site as opposed to close by? A resort with ocean front, ocean view and moutain view - there is no guarantee as to which view an exchanger will be assigned - what sort of search result should it display?

I don't see any exchange companies provide this level of search capabilities anytime soon.

Ask DAE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback, Larry. We're always working on improving the user experience with DAE.
We're working on two things towards this goal:
1. Revised web site - we're currently working on a web site that will be much easier to search for destinations for vacation. It's scheduled for roll out next year.
2. Preference niche marketing - We've just started on a niche marketing initiative to allow members with interests in specific things (such as golfing, wine tasting, etc.) to be able to opt-in to receive marketing specific to that group. In other words, if you opt-in to receive emails about skiing, you might receive an email featuring a ski locations and possibly a special with lift tickets.
Stay turned that should be coming out soon.

And you can always call our knowledgeable exChange Agents at 800.468.1799 for advice based on your interests.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if the improvements will cover this need

Thank you for the feedback, Larry. We're always working on improving the user experience with DAE.
We're working on two things towards this goal:
1. Revised web site - we're currently working on a web site that will be much easier to search for destinations for vacation. It's scheduled for roll out next year.

Just destinations--or special interests? DAE currently offers a very fine-grained search for destinations. And also a fine-grained search for time intervals.

But DAE is no help at all if we are open to any destination and any time interval, but want to find our preferred amenity. Will the revised website be better in this regard? Can you explain how?

2. Preference niche marketing - We've just started on a niche marketing initiative to allow members with interests in specific things (such as golfing, wine tasting, etc.) to be able to opt-in to receive marketing specific to that group. In other words, if you opt-in to receive emails about skiing, you might receive an email featuring a ski locations and possibly a special with lift tickets.
Stay turned that should be coming out soon.
Sending me emails about resorts with my preference would be very helpful. I encourage you to do it. But when my deposit credit with DAE is about to expire, I'd like to do a search right now and not have to hope I receive an email in time.

And you can always call our knowledgeable exChange Agents at 800.468.1799 for advice based on your interests.
Unfortunately, they haven't been helpful in this regard. The first thing they ask is "Where do you wish to travel, and when?" and I must respond with specifics to proceed. When I ask for the amenity under these constraints, they respond "Not available" without doing a broader search.

If some agents know how to search for an amenity across all dates and all locations, please send me a private message with contact information so I can contact them and use this credit before it expires.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
WAITAMINUTE! Clothing optional horseback riding!?!?!? This thought may keep me awake tonight. Hope I don't inadvertently book at THAT resort! :whoopie:

Jim

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with that?

WAITAMINUTE! Clothing optional horseback riding!?!?!? This thought may keep me awake tonight. Hope I don't inadvertently book at THAT resort! :whoopie:

Jim

What's wrong with that? It's an age-old tradition, dating back to at least the 11th Century when Lady Godiva rode through the streets to lobby her husband, Leofric, Earl of Mercia, for a tax break for the citizens of Coventry.''

Seriously, great vacations involve clothing-optional events like hiking or snorkeling. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Larry

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
There are surely some people who exchange based on location. But there are surely more who exchange based on amenities.

I actually think most people exchange based on location. Then they compare ratings, amenities, and other factors to decide. I have never booked anywhere purely based on amenities.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
I actually think most people exchange based on location. Then they compare ratings, amenities, and other factors to decide. I have never booked anywhere purely based on amenities.

That is the way that I do it also and it has worked fine for me. Do the big boys RCI or II offer the type of fine grained search capabilities requested by Larry?

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
I guess Larry is SOL when it comes to trading

See my post above. Simple answer is NO.

I didn't think, but had to ask. So, working with any exchange company would be difficult for Larry.

Just searched for clothing optional on Expedia. I did get 5 hits and 3 of them were for gay men. Larry might like Expedia better for his lodging needs. :D