• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Just Gotta Brag!

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, in my admittedly limited experience, I would say the II trading option for Marriott legacy weeks is alive and well. Last July, I was able to trade a Ko Olina studio for a two BR Breckenridge Grand Timber Lodge unit at the end of June (our summer vacation). I thought that was pretty good. Last fall I traded a summer 2BR Timber Lodge for a 2BR Royal Caribbean (Cancun) 2013 spring break week. That's at least an even exchange, I think

Today, I scored a December pre-Christmas vacation week in Tahoe, 2BR Timber Lodge, in exchange for a July Timber Lodge 1BR! That's platinum ski for platinum summer, with a size upgrade to boot. Really, the loudly touted death of the plain vanilla II trade seems grossly overstated to me. In fact, I'm beginning to think my recent TL lock-off purchase is a real winner, even if I paid a bit too much for it. Those summer plats seem to trade really well, and the maintenance fee makes Ko Olina and the other Hawaii resorts look wildly expensive.

Am I alone in thinking there's life yet in II?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In my tests I have found that I can easily exchange back in to higher seasons at my home resorts. Essentially making our gold weeks platinum weeks. For a cheaper purchase price to boot. I have even seen prime weeks (July 4th, Christmas) as long as I am willing to trade like for like unit size. Just about any other week I can usually bump up at least one size on unit size.

Last edited:

OldPantry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that's a thought. We just escaped to Newport from Seattle over Christmas, and my wife LOVED it. We had feared an inferior resort experience, due to the late season, but were blown away to discover that all five pools are heated, and California sunshine (once out of the wind) makes for a superb tanning experience. The location, of course, is stupendous, with easy access to LA and San Diego.

We noticed that the resort was far from full over Christmas, and that might just make a gold trade feasible for one of the two Christmas season weeks our school schedule permits. So, your gold season idea might just fly with my wife (she's notoriously reluctant to commit to further timeshares). Also, Newport seems fairly reasonable MF-wise. I'll do some more checking. Thanks.

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've done really well trading my weeks over the last year or so. The latest was trading a Thanksgiving Beachplace studio for an early Sept. NCV unit. I'll do that trade over and over if I can.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pools are always heated. Newport is never really hot. I was there July 4th week and temps during the day ranged from 68-75 degrees the whole week.

Hmm, that's a thought. We just escaped to Newport from Seattle over Christmas, and my wife LOVED it. We had feared an inferior resort experience, due to the late season, but were blown away to discover that all five pools are heated, and California sunshine (once out of the wind) makes for a superb tanning experience. The location, of course, is stupendous, with easy access to LA and San Diego.

We noticed that the resort was far from full over Christmas, and that might just make a gold trade feasible for one of the two Christmas season weeks our school schedule permits. So, your gold season idea might just fly with my wife (she's notoriously reluctant to commit to further timeshares). Also, Newport seems fairly reasonable MF-wise. I'll do some more checking. Thanks.

Cobra1950

Reaction score
As I have noted in the past on this site, even with our crappy mud season Summittwatch week we have gotten good trades with II, last year we got two Platinum ski weeks out of one mudder.:whoopie:
Key is usually Flexchange or sometimes they dump inventory in slightly before the 60 day period, since we are retired now we can handle that
Once upon a time I was with the legion of Tuggers that did not like II but now compared to the brand destruction of MVC by Marriott and their points system from the planet Krypton, they are a whole lot more attractive to deal with.

mkahanek

TUG Member
Reaction score
My best scores thus far

1BR Aruba Surf Club may for an A/C
3BR St. Kitts May for MKO studio
2BR MKO Ocean View for MKO mountain view studio

I have no problems with these :whoopie: :whoopie:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
What's the percentage of ALL Marriott owners who have NOT joined the DC?

I have a feeling it's a huge number still.

That will be the same percentage that will continue to deposit/trade thru Interval, so weeks in all seasons will continue to be available.

Altho we would have 17,800 points if we joined (we own 6 weeks), i have no intention of joining, as we mostly "occupy", which is why we bought in the first place. We will never relinquish our 3 consecutive weeks at Grande Ocean in summer. We sometimes trade the others and get great trades.

"UPGRADING" weeks thru Interval trades is always a possibility.....thru DC points, it's NEVER a possibility unless you buy more points, borrow points, or reduce the length of stay......i.e., a net loss. I'm not willing to suffer net losses each time we would use the DC system.

Also, the extra weeks given to us by I.I. when we deposit weeks for trade are wonderful.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty,
even if you take the total number that joined, that doesn't account for those who did so just to avoid all the fees. Those owners will still use II.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Marty,
even if you take the total number that joined, that doesn't account for those who did so just to avoid all the fees. Those owners will still use II.

agreed. (and Hello Matt!!) Despite all the negative talking down of Interval by the reps, I find no problem with it yet, and 90 % of what they say is total misrepresentation.

BTW we were in Wmsbg last Fall and I thought of you the whole time.....just love it......came so close to buying a resale on ebay, but decided to just use other methods to get there.......what a great place, tho. I don't think people realize how beautiful it is.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
What's the percentage of ALL Marriott owners who have NOT joined the DC?

I have a feeling it's a huge number still.

That will be the same percentage that will continue to deposit/trade thru Interval, so weeks in all seasons will continue to be available.

Altho we would have 17,800 points if we joined (we own 6 weeks), i have no intention of joining, as we mostly "occupy", which is why we bought in the first place. We will never relinquish our 3 consecutive weeks at Grande Ocean in summer. We sometimes trade the others and get great trades.

"UPGRADING" weeks thru Interval trades is always a possibility.....thru DC points, it's NEVER a possibility unless you buy more points, borrow points, or reduce the length of stay......i.e., a net loss. I'm not willing to suffer net losses each time we would use the DC system.

Also, the extra weeks given to us by I.I. when we deposit weeks for trade are wonderful.

Marty,

You do both know that if you enroll your Weeks you can still use them exactly the same way that you've always used them either as home resort stays or II exchanges? And the only fees are the one-time enrollment fee and the annual Club Dues fee, which covers all Weeks-based transactions such as booking, canceling, re-booking, MRP exchanges, lock-offs, etc, as well as any Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges processed through your new/corporate II account? If you enroll your Weeks you are not obligated to convert them to DC Points usage - for enrolled Weeks the DC is simply an overlay exchange program that allows an annual election to convert to DC Points, and which is proving to be cost-effective for owners of multi-Weeks who routinely do any of the listed transactions without ever converting a Week to DC Points.

As far as the DC's impact on II inventory, we're seeing through these first few years that Marriott is holding inventory and making bulk banks to II closer in to the check-in days, especially for high-demand intervals. As well, Marriott is able to and has routinely been taking II inventory to satisfy DC Trust and Exchange Members requests. Any un-enrolled Weeks that are deposited to II are not for the exclusive use of only un-enrolled Weeks Owners. Those things combined mean that whatever impact the DC does have on II inventory, it will be realized by all II members.

Sorry if this is a re-hash of something you already understand but I can't tell by your posts if you do or not.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
You do both know that if you enroll your Weeks you can still use them exactly the same way that you've always used them either as home resort stays or II exchanges? And the only fees are the one-time enrollment fee and the annual Club Dues fee, which covers all Weeks-based transactions such as booking, canceling, re-booking, MRP exchanges, lock-offs, etc, as well as any Marriott-to-Marriott exchanges processed through your new/corporate II account? If you enroll your Weeks you are not obligated to convert them to DC Points usage - for enrolled Weeks the DC is simply an overlay exchange program that allows an annual election to convert to DC Points, and which is proving to be cost-effective for owners of multi-Weeks who routinely do any of the listed transactions without ever converting a Week to DC Points.

As far as the DC's impact on II inventory, we're seeing through these first few years that Marriott is holding inventory and making bulk banks to II closer in to the check-in days, especially for high-demand intervals. As well, Marriott is able to and has routinely been taking II inventory to satisfy DC Trust and Exchange Members requests. Any un-enrolled Weeks that are deposited to II are not for the exclusive use of only un-enrolled Weeks Owners. Those things combined mean that whatever impact the DC does have on II inventory, it will be realized by all II members.

Sorry if this is a re-hash of something you already understand but I can't tell by your posts if you do or not.

yes, i know all that.....but thx

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yes, i know all that.....but thx

But then Marty, if you know all that then why wouldn't you enroll your Weeks? You're one of the folks who stand to gain from enrolling, both in cost savings of transaction fees and possibly through the discounts available for Premier Plus members (if you take advantage of the various extras.)

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that trading through II is alive and well. Our post DC points trades of our legacy weeks are:

3 BR gold Grande Vista for 2 BR Xmas week Sands of Kahana.
1 BR week 49 Ren Aruba for 1 BR Dona Lola Spain 6/30 check in.
studio gold Grande Vista for spring break Simpson Bay St. Maartin.
2 BR gold Grande Chateau for 2 BR Xmas week Grand Caymanian.
2 BR gold Grande Chateau for 2 BR Xmas week Fun Tropicale in DR.

Granted, they are not Marriott to Marriott trades, but they are all gold seal resorts in II. I'm not complaining.....

Cobra1950

Reaction score
SueDonJ
Your comment about Marriott making II deposits closer to book in time this year seem to make sense as I have been trying to book a second ski week out West and have been having difficulty in finding a decent one in either Vail or Breckinridge:shrug:
Did get a Mountainside for the first week ok, but am just not seeing much except very last minute offers and they are posted for a long time as unless you are driving, who can afford last minute airfares??
Anyway, have you seen any more detailed pattern for Marriott depositing to II from a standpoint of how far ahead do they dump most of their inventory for a specific week?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SueDonJ
Your comment about Marriott making II deposits closer to book in time this year seem to make sense as I have been trying to book a second ski week out West and have been having difficulty in finding a decent one in either Vail or Breckinridge:shrug:
Did get a Mountainside for the first week ok, but am just not seeing much except very last minute offers and they are posted for a long time as unless you are driving, who can afford last minute airfares??
Anyway, have you seen any more detailed pattern for Marriott depositing to II from a standpoint of how far ahead do they dump most of their inventory for a specific week?

I'm actually not watching II inventory but instead paying close attention to reports from TUGgers who've been waiting on II exchanges since the DC began. There have been many reports and some have been as detailed as what you want, specific to resorts and/or weeks. I suggest you start a new thread with the details in its title (maybe, "Any Vail/Breckenridge II inventory?") and anyone who's watching that II inventory will probably be happy to respond. Good luck!

One suggestion that's often repeated on TUG when air travel is involved, is that you reserve a back-up cash or Marriott Rewards Points stay for the days you're waiting on, either at the resort or a local hotel. That way you can go ahead and book your air knowing that you at least have a place to stay, and if/when your week comes through the back-up reservation can be cancelled. I don't know the Vail/Breck area but maybe this is an option for you?

Cobra1950

Reaction score
SueDonJ
Good point on the backup lodging on points, I did that at Park City last Chrismas and finally week I wanted came in and I cancelled it the backup. Park City is easy to do that at with all the hotels there and in SLC, a short drive away. Vail and Breck and the whole complex is more of a destination resort. Backup is to stay a second week in the PC area, probably in SLC.:bawl:
I did see a low grade week come up this am when I wanted it for the first time in Avon, but am going to let things ride a bit. We are driving this trip, (first week Grand Chateau in Las Vegas, second week Mountainside, third week unbooked yet) so we will let this play out. Marriott probably also doing the late deposits at II to "teach the legacy owners a lesson" who are stubborn like me and refuse to pay Marriott any more money.:shrug:

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand. BTW, I enrolled my weeks already. My point was that even if you are just using the DC for fee avoidance, II will still be used and thus the deposits will continue going to II.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I understand. BTW, I enrolled my weeks already. My point was that even if you are just using the DC for fee avoidance, II will still be used and thus the deposits will continue going to II.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Fees for II still have to be paid if...

I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly. The only time you save on II fees for exchanges is when you are staying at another Marriott timeshare. If you are going to stay at a non Marriott resort through II, you would have to pay the exchange fee even though you would have paid your annual DC fee of $165.

If that's true, then you would pay the II exchange fee of $149 plus your annual $165 fee for being in the DC.

Is this correct?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just to clarify, enrolled weeks get priority in the II exchange process using the Marriott Corporate account?
Marriott "works harder" to get these requests filled thru II?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly. The only time you save on II fees for exchanges is when you are staying at another Marriott timeshare. If you are going to stay at a non Marriott resort through II, you would have to pay the exchange fee even though you would have paid your annual DC fee of $165.

If that's true, then you would pay the II exchange fee of $149 plus your annual $165 fee for being in the DC.

Is this correct?
You are correct. If your request includes both a marriot and a non-marriott, you still pay the exchange fee. If the marriott exchange comes through and you choose this I believe ii wilrefund the exchange fee.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Just to clarify, enrolled weeks get priority in the II exchange process using the Marriott Corporate account?

There is really no difference in weeks going in to II based on if they are enrolled or not. If Marriott has a DC request that they need to fill and they see the week in II that could help them fill the DC request, they can get that week from II. It doesn't have to be a week that was enrolled in DC. Any Marriott week is up for grabs. Marriott would only be pulling the weeks to fulfill DC point based reservation requests.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

There is really no difference in weeks going in to II based on if they are enrolled or not. If Marriott has a DC request that they need to fill and they see the week in II that could help them fill the DC request, they can get that week from II. It doesn't have to be a week that was enrolled in DC. Any Marriott week is up for grabs. Marriott would only be pulling the weeks to fulfill DC point based reservation requests.

What dioxide said. To be clear, I wasn't saying above that DC members have a preference over Weeks Owners for II inventory. I was only trying to make the point that II does not separate inventory according to which type of owner (DC-member or Weeks owner) made the deposit, so a DC-member's exchange request may be fulfilled with a non-enrolled Week that's been deposited to II AND a Weeks Owner's II request may be fulfilled by an enrolled Week that's been deposited to II by a DC Member.

Sometimes I read posts from un-enrolled Weeks Owners and come away thinking that they believe every un-enrolled Week deposited to II is made available to only other un-enrolled Weeks Owners. Reports on TUG from DC-enrolled members show that's clearly not the case, that VOA's can pull any inventory from II to satisfy DC Member requests.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sometimes I read posts from un-enrolled Weeks Owners and come away thinking that they believe every un-enrolled Week deposited to II is made available to only other un-enrolled Weeks Owners. Reports on TUG from DC-enrolled members show that's clearly not the case, that VOA's can pull any inventory from II to satisfy DC Member requests.
how can a marriott voa pull ii inventory when she does not work for interval?