• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ride the Auto Train with Your Car

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score

Amtrak Auto Train transports you and your car

van, motorcycle, SUV nonstop from Washington, DC
Lorton Virginia area to Sanford Florida, near Orlando.

Auto Train customers have the option
to check in without physical tickets.

You save nearly 900 Miles of Interstate Driving,
Gasoline and Wear & Tear on you and your car

Reserve Priority Vehicle Offloading and your vehicle
will be one of the first 20 off loaded from the train.

Dinner and Continental Breakfast are included.

Roomettes are designed for one or two people,
with a restroom and shower facilities nearby.

We are considering a roomette next trip.
What is your opinion of the roomettes?

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have done both the roomettes and bedrooms on the autotrain.
(I've also done roomettes on the Silver Trains, which is totally different.)

I personally do not like the autotrain roomettes. Someone has to sleep on the upper bunk, and that someone is me! They are very close to the ceiling and hard to get up into. I felt very claustrophobic up there. You still need to use the public restrooms; luckily ours was close. I love the bedrooms on the autotrain, but they have gotten very pricey.

Have never done coach on autotrain, so can't tell you if the roomette is better or not. You supposedly get better meals with roomette. You used to get wine and snacks after boarding, but read that is no longer done.

Hope this helps.

Nancy

justnosy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything that Nancy listed except I think the meals are all the same now (coach and sleeper)

Our family usually get one roomette and one Superliner bedroom (sleeps 3)which comes with its own bathroom. If you can afford the bedroom, then go with that. Besides the bathroom, you'll have more space. I find the roomettes a bit tight. There should be videos of the different rooms - well worth taking a look at.

The prices for the sleepers have gone up a lot. The strategy for getting a "good" coach seat is to request the lower level ones since there are less of them. Our family has never gone coach but if we use the Autotrain in the future we may consider lower level coach.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything that Nancy listed except I think the meals are all the same now (coach and sleeper)

Our family usually get one roomette and one Superliner bedroom (sleeps 3)which comes with its own bathroom. If you can afford the bedroom, then go with that. Besides the bathroom, you'll have more space. I find the roomettes a bit tight. There should be videos of the different rooms - well worth taking a look at.

The prices for the sleepers have gone up a lot. The strategy for getting a "good" coach seat is to request the lower level ones since there are less of them. Our family has never gone coach but if we use the Autotrain in the future we may consider lower level coach.

I so agree. I prefer the bedrooms, a bit more in cost, but it solves the bathroom issue (for the most part).

I have not been on the AutoTrain, but have taken the overnight sleepers from NYP-MIA several times.

The roomettes that I've been in have a toilet/sink combo in the room right next to the seat. If two are sharing the room, there is no privacy except that you can use the bathroom down the train's sleeping corridor from your room.

The bedrooms have a shower/sink/toilet that is size of a very slim phone booth (remember them ?), but at least there's some privacy as there's a door.

Google and you'll see what they look like.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Auto train roomettes do not have toilet sinks, that makes it more difficult to get into top bunk

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Auto train roomettes do not have toilet sinks, that makes it more difficult to get into top bunk

Yes ! I remember stepping on the toilet/sink so that I could get up to the top bunk. It did come in handy for that !

How have you been, Nancy ? When are you coming back this way ?

lucillec

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I took the auto train last year and sat in coach. the car was not crowded..so able to occupy two seats .... brought my own pillow....if you go coach i suggest you take an end car...that way you won't have alot of people passing through during the night.

Nancy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Beags,

We are great. Have no trip to Boston or anyplace else planned currently.
Hope you are doing well also.

Nancy