• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

$20 tip enough for housekeeping? [Poll Added.]

Do you tip housekeeping during a timeshare stay?

• YES, if services are provided during a stay.

Votes: 52 23.5%
  • NO, because services are not provided during a stay.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • YES, always.

Votes: 77 34.8%
  • NO, never.

Votes: 33 14.9%
  • OTHER, because there is always an "other."

Votes: 20 9.0%

• Total voters

qwerty

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I tip a minimum of 20 percent in food and drink situations.

I don't tip at all in hotels and timeshares unless I receive exceptional service.

Why the disparity? Because wait staff are specifically paid less in hourly wages under our laws with the assumption they will be tipped. There is no similar expectation with cleaning staff. The suggestions that one is somehow obligated to raise a cleaning staff's pay because they're not paid "enough" strikes me as quite odd. There are a lot of people in my life who I think should be paid more. Teachers, for example, are ridiculously underpaid, but we don't tip them.

I agree with you completely and would only want to add all of those that offer service to the not tipped list.

qwerty

TUG Member
Reaction score
In high school I was a waitress during the summers, so maybe that influences me a bit--it was hard work (as is cleaning rooms), and the pay was pathetic. The bright spot was meeting all those people and I really appreciated the tips.

When I was working and had an expense account, I normally left ~$3 a day in hotels for housekeeping. I've always done the same outside of work, sans expense account, and I leave a $3-$5 tip a day, depending on quality of service. In MX, we receive daily cleaning and a turn-down service at night--I always leave a tip on the kitchen counter before we leave for the day. I appreciate their hard work, and I know tips are a significant part of their livelihood.

Regarding the policy of employers making up for the shortfall of tips to make minimum wage for employees--sure seems to conjure up some questions. How do they know how much employees make in tips? Obviously an honor system, LOL. Also seems to penalize those employees who really give top-notch service--some of their tips are used to 'top off' the required minimum wage.

I can only repeat what my daughter has told me when working for several big chain restaurants. The wait staff was required to report at least enough tips to meet the federal minimum wage even if the restaurant was not busy and having a very slow day. She also made it clear that seldom occurred.

qwerty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a bigger cheapskate than I thought. To me $20 is excessive. The room is only cleaned once in advance of my stay and takes probably an hour to 90 minutes. I don't think I should be subsidizing wages to the extent of $13 - $20 per hour.

Although many have responded regarding leaving a more generous tip for housekeeping, I do not think that you are a cheapskate. About five years ago, I talked to my resort manager regarding the subtle emergence of printed notes elsewhere that appeared to be an encouragement to leave a gratuity. In spite of the response then, I now see the same at my home resort. As an owner of multiple weeks, I want to make sure that our resort has a commitment of a very high standard and that the service staff does not need to depend on tips to subsidize their pay.
P.S. Although I have never skied Utah, I always have wanted to.

qwerty

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always leave $20 after a time share stay as long as the unit was clean when we checked in. They are cleaning after we have stayed a week, and I assure you they are not being paid high wages

May I ask what you would do if the room was not clean when you checked in? A second question would be, how often does that occur? For us, we've had to call the front desk at least three times that I can remember. Having timeshare traveled over twenty years, that might not be too bad except that I expect the unit to be cleaned and tidied for every stay. That would apply to whether using our home weeks, exchanging or renting.

qwerty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if that was their job? :confused:

I guess I just don't understand that train of thought. If it is your JOB to change sheets and towels, vacuum the floors and clean the kitchen, why is a tip expected? IMO, tips should be for service above and beyond the basic job requirements.

For example, we have a housecleaner that cleans our house every two weeks. She set the price that she charges to do that JOB. We pay her for doing that JOB. We don't tip her when she does her JOB.

Kurt

I agree with you completely. Because of the federal minimum wage law, the wait staff in restaurants are paid with the expectation of a tip. There may be other occupations that I'm not aware of but I'm pretty sure that housekeeping is not.

qwerty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poll, chose Other. It is normal that I tip always, however, there are times when I've had such terrible service or a not stocked/not well cleaned room, that I haven't left a tip. Then, there are times when I left and on the way home remembered that I didn't leave a tip.....

This is just an idea and not something definitive. Maybe the person that was supposed to clean your room was not tipped by the last person and felt slighted? Maybe the person that will clean your room when you leave was not even there on the day you checked in?
More definitive: Where I own, the housekeeping staff does not have much of a turnover and most have been there for a while. But most, if not all, do not clean the same rooms everyday. For me, that is why I expect my resort manager make sure that everyone in housekeeping understands how important their job is to keep our high rating.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Qwerty, you need to familiarize yourself with the multi-quote feature rather than serially answering others' comments.

Just a friendly suggestion.

qwerty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Qwerty, you need to familiarize yourself with the multi-quote feature rather than serially answering others' comments.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Taking your suggestion, I tried to look for the multi-quote feature but could not locate it.
Also, I do not know what you mean by "serially answering others' comments".

qwerty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thoughtfully ? ????? Are you kidding ? Seriously ? LOL
You have done nothing but flame the opinions of other who don't see it your way. Re-read your rants.

ETA: We've stated our opinions, but you are trying to debate them.

=

I have re-read my postings and cannot understand why you would consider them to be "rants". You applauded someone who accused me of jealousy and not tipping. You then accused me of dumping garbage and suggesting that I try decaf.
This is even after I asked you not to respond if you have nothing further to add to the question of tipping for housekeeping. I have thoughtfully considered my comments regarding tipping and if you do not agree, I accept that.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking your suggestion, I tried to look for the multi-quote feature but could not locate it.
Also, I do not know what you mean by "serially answering others' comments".

It's those " marks at the bottom right of each post. The center one of the three.

By 'serially answering', I thought it was clear that you would reply/rebut one poster, post it, then reply/rebut another poster and post it, and on and on.

State your case, which it seems you have done. If it doesn't agree with someone else's, so be it. That's what discussion is about.

It is not necessary to reply to every participant in a discussion. It appears your mind is made up, as are many others'. It's doubtful that many will change based on what's said here.

Best wishes.

Jim

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I do is the best, but after 20 plus years in a Caribbean timeshare (2 weeks of 3 bedrooms, 2 weeks of 1 bedroom) I am always delighted to see the same staff mostly from year to year. I ALWAYS hand the tip to the person receiving it, including getting up early on last day to find the housekeeper. I tip at the end of each week: $15 for daily service; $20.00 for mid-week clean and after (or before) cleaning depending on your point of view. I do add one more tip at the end of the 4 week stay--the Head of Housekeeping who brings us extra towels when we return from the beach, extra pitcher, sees that maintenance brings a working toaster or an extra bulb, etc. $25.00--a very good investment for the next year -- and hugs are received on the first day back.

I do believe it is everyone's personal choice...

We always leave our room clean, and we always tip daily (usually $2 to $3 per person per day) at a hotel by leaving a tip in the room in the morning. If service is poor we don't leave it the next day. When we stay at our time share we leave a tip on tidy service day and the last day. We always tip when someone comes to our room if we requested something.

We have rarely had poor service and so far never at the time shares we have stayed. When we travel to Europe or Mexico we try and follow the custom there. We do tend to over tip at dinner because after a few drinks I forget we are not in the US :).

Lastly, we remember when we were young working full time, going to college at night and living on peanut butter sandwiches. Since we can now afford to own a timeshare and go on wonderful vacations we feel we can afford to tip generously and consider this part of our vacation budget. I don't care about who gets paid what or why, i just like to do it.

Denise

Same here. Happy to do it and glad to be able to do it.

=

Last edited:

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I do is the best, but after 20 plus years in a Caribbean timeshare (2 weeks of 3 bedrooms, 2 weeks of 1 bedroom) I am always delighted to see the same staff mostly from year to year. I ALWAYS hand the tip to the person receiving it, including getting up early on last day to find the housekeeper. I tip at the end of each week: $15 for daily service; $20.00 for mid-week clean and after (or before) cleaning depending on your point of view. I do add one more tip at the end of the 4 week stay--the Head of Housekeeping who brings us extra towels when we return from the beach, extra pitcher, sees that maintenance brings a working toaster or an extra bulb, etc. $25.00--a very good investment for the next year -- and hugs are received on the first day back.

That is great but I would expect a working toaster every year and the resort should be grateful that you noticed a light bulb needed to be replaced.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of the workers in Wisconsin Dells get minimum wage, housekeepers get about twice as much. I feel bad for all those peole struggling to get by.