• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Instance Exchange Point Value

cclendinen

TUG Member
Reaction score
THE PROGRAM WAS CHANGED 3 MONTHS AGO BUT WAS CHANGED BACK TO ALL 45 DAYS BEING DISCOUNTED AFTER THE 35 AFFILIATE RCI REPRESENTATIVES; WHO WERE NOT ADVISED OF THE CHANGES, WHO TRAIN AND EDUCATE RESORTS DAILY, COMPLAINED IN UNITY AND THE ORIGINAL PROGRAM WAS REINSTATED ON APPROXIMATELY MAY 10.

BILLR,
Could you share with us your source for this information.

opozarks

Reaction score
BILLR,
Could you share with us your source for this information.

SURE - It was the RCI Affiliate representative in charge of my home resort who I talk to frequently as I sell RCI points through that resort. He does not want to give you his name but he has suggested that you call the resort - either your home resort or the resort you want to trade into - contact the manager and have them (or ask for you to) contact their affiliate representative.

In the 1st week of May the affiliate representatives ( 35 in total ) became aware - from me - that RCI, two months, prior had changed their rules because some resorts, particularily Orange Lake, had complained that their resorts were worth MORE than the 9000 points. Obviously some IDIOT got together with another IDIOT and rules were changed.

mocat

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI website "fixed"

It would appear that while RCI may have "fixed" its website to accurately display the correct number of points for instant exchanges, it has also "fixed" its section of the website called The Answer Place where it had previously set forth the procedure for obtaining a vacation for 9000 pts or less. Some time ago, I printed the RCI explanation of how to go about this procedure and I am no longer able to locate this info on its website.

Therefore, one is left to wonder how much longer RCI intends to honor this policy. This question should probably be posed to Madge, whom I believe is now back from vacation.

Last edited:

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
45 Days Before Check-In May Not Be "Instant" But It's Close Enough.

Orange Lake, had complained that their resorts were worth MORE than the 9000 points.
Sure it is. They all are -- right up till the time gets short & the deposited timeshare week risks going to waste. At that point (45 days & sooner before check-in) all it's worth is 9,000 points -- max -- whether it's Orange Lake or Vistana Villages or a somewhat more modest little timeshare that nobody's ever heard of. Sheesh.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
mocat, I know what you mean. :annoyed: I checked that after I saw your post to Madge. I also did my usual "9,000 point" search and came up with zero matches on their Answer Place tab.

I really want more RCI points and know where to go to get lots more cheaply, but I need to be certain that I will get some value, so I have been holding off.

mocat

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Bait and Switch"

In the business world, what RCI seems to be about to do is against the law in most juridictions and a company following this procedure could likely be sued for damages. Many people, myself included, bought RCI points in reliance on its representations that 9000 pts or less could be used to obtain a week's stay at one of its resorts if available within the 45 day window. RCI most likely used this as a method to convince more people to buy RCI points and also to convince more resorts to convert to points. Perhaps now it has decided that there is too much interest in this program and is looking for a way to pacify some resorts.

Recent posts by others would lead one to believe that this is not RCI's intent, but IMHO, the jury is still out.

wilmark

TUG Member
Reaction score
The New RCI

Maybe you guys don't seem to realize it, but in the past year, RCI has been eroding all of the good things that members enjoy (or the reason why we maintain our RCI memberships)

Last Call - being able to get a week for $129 to 219 depending on the size - used to have wide availability all over. Inventory in this area is very low and non existent in many of the better areas.

Instant Exchange - begin able to get top places for only 8000 points inside 45 days or so was a great deal when you couldnt find it in Last Call. Much fewer places are available for this area and many resorts are not available for this anymore.

Lower Priced Extra Vacations - the ones that they give you for under 300$ a week - almost non existent, most of the better inventory is available for over 700$ a week - why bother.

They have now restructured their company to take all the extra inventory that was a benefit to members above and sell it to partner and other Cendant companies, Or put it in the Hi Priced section of Extra Vacations. They flood us with useless advertising in the mail and on their website - "Get 20% off Florida, Book now" - YES 20% off 200% of what we are accustomed paying for it - you would be cheaper going to internet discount sites. "Book Your Cruise Now and get ???" I have never see a cruise cheaper at RCI that what i would pay for it at Orbits or Travelocity, even with your points. Why waste your points. In my experience the only points partners worthwhile is if you use your points to buy Disney and Universal Stud tickets in bulk - you might recoup your maintenance fees. WHy do they bother us with trying to sign up for 3 years of this at maybe 5% off - how dumb do they think we really are? Why cant they fix their damned website, instead of focusing on gimmicky advertising? Most timeshare owners are fairly savvy discount/value oriented consumers.

If they don't shape up in the my current membership year am withdrawing my 87,000 points/annum top rated Caribbean resort and use the internet for my other travel needs.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
RCI can change their policies whenever they want. Fortunately for all of us, there are alternatives for us, as owners of timeshares, even if they are in points. We can reserve our home weeks and exchange somewhere else. :)

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
dreamin,

Sheila is correct, and I'm so distressed to hear of your experience (not to mention my non-existence).

Please, please do send an e-mail to feedback@rci.com and include TUG in the subject line. I would very much like to discover who you spoke with and be sure we give out correct information from every call center on this issue in the future.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Answer Place where it had previously set forth the procedure for obtaining a vacation for 9000 pts or less. Some time ago, I printed the RCI explanation of how to go about this procedure and I am no longer able to locate this info on its website.
mocat,

This was an unintentional lapse. This information, as well as the Most Frequently Asked Questions will be reinstated.

dreamin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge did look into my account and e-mailed me that there were no notations made by the supervisor (who had previously told me that she was noting on my account that I had been informed of the new rules regarding instant exchanges and would no longer be able to get the 9000 points or less exchanges). As a matter of fact, I have noticed that the website appears to be updated and the instant exchange values are now appearing as they used to. I was able to book 2 weeks in July using instant exchanges for 7500 points for each week. The reservation fee has gone up to $180 CDN. I am happy that there was Points availability for this summer because there was nothing available on Last Call. I'm finding that the Points website is wonky for instant exchanges - one minute they are there, then five minutes later they disappear, only to reappear at a later time (same resorts). I have learned to check frequently because the web listings are so inconsistent. So, for this summer I am happy with my vacation planning. For my winter vacation, I may not be so lucky! Thanks for your help Madge.

cranberryamber

TUG Member
Reaction score
talking to a supervisor

I ran across a three-bedroom S. Cal. unit checking in on 5/27 when I searched weeks reservation using my points and immediately put a hold on it on 5/6. Later when I tried to confirmed it online, it showed that 80,000 points were required. Therefore I called RCI directly trying to confirm it. The guide told me it would cost me 80,000 points because it is a high demand resort --- and it didn't matter that the check in date is less than 45 days. I told her to just leave the week along in my account for a couple of hours and I'll talk it over with my husband to see if we want to confirm or cancel it (it would have stayed in my account until the end of the day if I hadn't called anyway). Then she said I must decide immediately because there is no grace period since the check in is in less than 21 days. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and my request was denied as the other tuggers who previously wrote in this thread. I had no choice but canceling it right away.

I called ten minutes later and a different guide answered the phone. I asked to speak to a supervisor right away after I identified myself and verified my account information. I was told it was not necessary to speak to a supervisor. I asked my question about booking the a week (less than 45 days ahead) using my points. At first she agreed it would be 25% of the points or 9,000 points (whichever is less). But when I told her that I have called earlier regarding the week on hold, she all of a sudden change her tone of voice and said "I don't know what you are talking about". Then she went on giving me the lecture on demand and supply and how only weeks pulled out under "Instant Exchange" are 9,000 points or less. Well, I didn't have my computer with me at that point. I just checked my RCI account again---There is no separate category called "Instant Exchanges" I can search under.

On top of all the confusion, I just get the feeling that guides are really protective of each other and a red flag is automatically raised if you say "oh, I spoke to someone else before....". I should keep that in mind. Also, I am pretty disappointed at speaking to two stand-offish guides in a row... My previous calls to RCI were overall pleasant and satisfactory.
I asked to speak to a supervisor many times and got no result. I finally got to speak to one and he assured me that he would take care of the issue raised and he will call me back. Guess what I never got a call back and when I called to speak to him personnally he was never available but I asked to leave a message for a call back. What a joke!!! Customer service is going down and the customers are frustrated.

ak4ever

Reaction score
We are about to become point members and I am really worried about these posts. We were really looking forward to trying this instant exchange feature. WHat I get from all of you is that this points exchange system is sort of a RCI Scam to get people to join and then realize that the points are not worth anything unless you have 70,000 or over to reserve vacations???

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the instant exchanges will continue and actually now include discounted points inventory as well. Certainly there are some decent exchanges that require far less than 70000 points. I wouldn't panic. The rising fees are worrisome, but if that is offset by extra choices, then its a bit of a trade-off.