• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How far in advance can I cut my potatoes?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes... I need cooking advice. I seem to remember that you can cut potatoes and keep them in cold water so that they don't darken. Can I do that for 24 hours? I don't want to spend Christmas morning chopping potatoes and carrots for dinner. If I can get them ready today, it would make me happy.

Deb

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm still wondering if it is good for overnight but it seems there is no time limit.

Deb

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
i peel and cut the potatoes the night before and put them in a pot with cold water to cover them and leave overnight. never had a problem.

also this is a suggestion i picked up form some cooking website that i have never tried but will in the future.. it says that you can actually mash the potatoes up to 2 hours before the dinner is ready and keep them in a slow cooker on either warm or low setting. like i said i have NOT tried this yet but will in the future.

Emily

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually put a plate in the top of the bowl to hold the potatoes under the water or some will float and turn brown.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I peel and cut mine the night before, cover with water, cover the pot, and refrigerate, and they come out great - no problem with discoloring. I also get them ready an hour or 2 before dinner and keep them warm in a crockpot on low - just stir before serving.

KCI

TUG Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard of already mashed, ready to eat potatoes? They are marvelous without any of the work!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard of already mashed, ready to eat potatoes? They are marvelous without any of the work!

They definitely get my vote!

And if I were going to make homemade ones, I'd make them a day or so before and reheat them in the microwave, perhaps adding a bit of chicken broth or water and some butter and fluffing them with a fork.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I also get them ready an hour or 2 before dinner and keep them warm in a crockpot on low - just stir before serving.
I did this at Thanksgiving and it's a great idea!

bigrick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine are ready to eat but in the crockpot usually 4 hours before serving.

On Thanksgiving, the potatoes are the very first thing I complete once the bird is in the oven. Keeping them in the crockpot saves a lot of effort and timing hassles at serving time. The spuds are ready any time you are.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can actually cook & mash your potatoes the day before, put them in the frig, bring them out to warm to room temp a bit, put them in the crockpot on low for up to 8 hours and they will be great. Be sure to allow enough time for them to warm up before dinner. I'd say several hours in the crockpot, stirring once in a while.

This has been one of the best time-saving secrets I've discovered over the years.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Thanks for the crock pot tip...I will do that today!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Christmas Spuds.

I just now peeled & eyed 10 lbs. of potatoes, which are now sitting in 2 large pots of cold water waiting for the actual cooking portion of Christmas dinner preparation to begin later on today.

I could have peeled'm last night, but that would have been showing off.

Merry Christmas, everybody.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Christmas Mashed Potatoes -- Same As Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes.

The Chief Of Staff boiled the bejabbers out of'm, then ran'm through her outstanding Kitchen Aid mixer, adding plenty of hot evaporated milk & softened butter to make'm come out nice & creamy, plus a little salt & pepper to bring out the flavor.

Yum.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Mine were in the crock pot for 3 hours before we ate - turned out great.
Thanks for the tip!