• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner Update: [Owner Told Change Was Coming!] Merged w/Reasons to buy from Developer

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering ... how did this become a discussion about inflation (de-flation) of the $, armegeddon, etc.(;)... I don't ... alone worry about armeggedon.

Sorry, Cindy, there was some tongue & cheek humor in the middle of the thread which was never, ever intended on becoming political. Sally13 was explaining how buying from the developer was a better deal than a resale timeshare.

So, let's go back and review the point where this diverance started?

Sally13, what name does the buy from the developer group go by?

scrapngen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Cindy, there was some tongue & cheek humor in the middle of the thread which was never, ever intended on becoming political. Sally13 was explaining how buying from the developer was a better deal than a resale timeshare.

So, let's go back and review the point where this diverance started?

Sally13, what name does the buy from the developer group go by?

mea culpa, Cindy, et al.

I think I'm the one who first used the term "conspiracy theories" that led to a bit of divergence. And I tagged on to Linda's humor with a bit of my own...

However, my points were directed at the argument Sally13 was making that in the future she envisions (and many NAMED people who apparently agree or who have helped her formulate this opinion) she claims that those who have
"legitimate," IOW developer, TS's will be better off and will weather the economic storm due to that "wise" purchase.

I was positing that in that case, resale TS's are no different as far as their deeded value - that having saved money purchasing said TS was allowing for the purchase of other necessary goods, and in the end, that if everything ends up in a worst case scenario - the TS is the least of our worries, and would be of little use or value as we'd need water, food, etc.

So, despite the slight divergence, they were still about timesharing - just a bit off the path.

Also, two posts were merged, and some of the paths are due to the second post more than the first.

However, I will try to be better about keeping to the forum and subject at hand. ;)

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
the inflation topic....

came up as part of the defining of quality...when future trends are put into the mix..such as the super inflation coming our way..resorts will be less likely to SHAFT the purchaser who bought full price. at the home resort .as there is some loyalty here..(this has played out at reservation time and at the front desk on check in)....the situation is not the same with all resorts and systems.. in the near future...the inflation will strain resorts and owners....new sources of revenue will be needed to keep up with spiraling costs...A developer purchased full priced deed will most likely fare better then a resale in that it would come with extras that will make all the difference in securing the week desired ...such as advanced booking ....home resort. priority...as we see Glacier canyon trying to put forth...Mostly the argument was about is it EVER wise to buy full price..I proved that it WAS in certain cases.... and that going forward it might just be the only option to get into the finer resorts in the busy times..Make no mistake ..these marketing whizzes are out to kill the resale advantage...The gooble gang here tried to run me out of town before I had time to explain my situation..and opinion...Thats all...oh and Linda...the name of the timeshare group your looking for is (the lucky family that gets one of the only lake view units every year in the most valued prime week of summer ..group..):) :) :rolleyes:

VivianLynne

Reaction score
:cheer: Wow! I am impressed that a comment by Cindy (paraphased) "that this thread was political and way off of the timesharing theme of these boards" created a rather solid defense by an unlikely crew.

Hats to the 'We can poke fun but remain civil' posters, esp Sally13, scrapngen, vacationhopeful, Rob & Carol Q, paxsarah, AwayWeGo, Twinkstarr, Deb from NC, jjmanthei03, etc.

By the way, what were you all drinking?

:clap: :hysterical: :clap: :rofl::clap:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.

No offense taken, and none intended on my part. I am laughing with the rest of you.:rofl: I just love timeshare (most are resale, but I have made my developer mistakes) and don't see how the two mix here in this thread. It's bizarre that the thread went this direction.

Sally, I read your posts over and over. The inuendo is that timeshare from the developer is someday going to be more valuable???? Try to sell that timeshare, and you will see how valuable it is. Especially Wyndham! Pennies on the dollar is a high price to pay for Wyndham today. So much for timeshare being an investment.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
the point is.....

that the resale world in time will be much less of a bargain...in both cheap ..quality timeshares(THE inflation coming home to roost premium )...and the level to what one can use those points or weeks for....EXISTING HOLDERS OF WEAK OUTDATED HANDS ..will suffer...the newer perk filled deeds will make it harder and harder to get your vacation slots...this is already happening....only fixed weeks and quality resorts will dodge this bullet....

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
on further thought...

yes...the new car...used car ..comparison applies perfectly here....if you buy new(devloper with perks)...you have a car(timeshare) with few problems..it works the way it is suposed to (not much new money needed to keep it working properly(getting the weeks you want ..when you want)..as to the cheap used car...you have to constantly dump$$$ into it to make it work properly..(trade in for better contract)(think mayan palace upgrades those of you who own)all timeshare corporations are now playing this game...think about it ..you would not expect an old chevy vega you payed $25. for.. to work like a new toyota???? ..would you????.....darn I SHOULD be in timeshare sales..:eek:I think it is all about the frustration factor in making your weeks work for you..

Last edited:

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
also..

you COULD get a great price on an old classic well made car..muscle car perhaps..(valuble fixed week )on ebay:eek: :eek: but I think not on that old vega:)..all investments (timeshares) are not created =....

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sally13, Be careful as that Chevy Vega comment is dating you. ;) Did you have a Ford Pinto also or was it a AMC Gremlin?

As for a muscle car? Are we staying with the American made? Mustang Shelby coupe .... boy, can that car purr.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Au Contraire, Mon Frère.

yes...the new car...used car ..comparison applies perfectly here.
You know better than that.

"New" & "used" are meaningless in the timeshare biz.

Remember ?

Click here if you forgot.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
A resale timeshare is more like the 2006 Toyota I bought in 2008 with less than 10,000 miles on it - it had already taken the biggest single hit on its depreciation (the day the original owner drove it off the lot), but was still in perfectly good condition. I have never once regretted not buying new instead.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Worst Of Both Worlds.

Be careful as that Chevy Vega comment is dating you. ;) Did you have a Ford Pinto also or was it a AMC Gremlin?
Shux, we had a 1971 Ford Pinto and (later) a 1972 Chevy Vega. Both lived up to their reputations.

The Vega was our 1st car with air conditioning. Unfortunately, the car overheated when the a/c was running.

What a piece of junk.

By contrast, all my resale timeshares are indistinguishable from newly deeded units at the same resorts.

Is this a great country or what ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

melschey

TUG Member
Reaction score
you COULD get a great price on an old classic well made car..muscle car perhaps..(valuble fixed week )on ebay:eek: :eek: but I think not on that old vega:)..all investments (timeshares) are not created =....

Could explain to me why I should pay thousands of dollars for Wydham points that you almost have to give away after the rescinding period is over. I don’t see those points increasing in value just because they were purchased from the developer.

The same can be said for WM credits the resale market is about 25% of retail so it is not as bad as Wydham points but I can see no value from purchasing from the developer. Travelshare is a joke for the most part and just a marketing gimmick.

The way Wyndham is operating both WorldMark and Wyndham Resorts is not going to increase the value of the points just because you purchased them from the developer in my opinion. You make some valid points concerning fixed weeks but I don’t see how those points have any bearing on either Wydham Point or WM credits.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually ordered a new Maverick which replaced the Fairlaine after I eluded the NJ State Trooper on I-295 for 20 minutes. I got the Fairlaine, after my Galaxy 500 took 3 inches off the width of a telephone phone (which was still standing 6 months later :shrug: ).

Then, I just gave in and brought 'the Porsche'. Its name was "zoom zoom". All those cars (but the Maverick) were resale vehicles.

Good thing, too. I was a little hard in my use of wheels.

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
amc hornret...

doors kept falling down...then my baby..mustang mach 1:) wish it was mine now!!.sister had the galaxy 500...kind of a bat mobile:eek: .but really..we own wyndham..not the strongest hand in the bunch..but we love the waterpark!....I am tired of all of this now:rolleyes: ..If those of you can not see my point by now ...you will in 2 or 3 years...I am content with that...I hope I have at least been entertaining for some of you:) ....please do the suggested reading..you will not be sorry...as I said before anything of VALUE will soon cost a lot more...selling something in a depression is kind of like getting a haircut from your friend..in the end your not very happy....a points system is not ideal...IMHO

Last edited:

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sally,

I may see you around GC. The water parks were the same reason we bought into Wyndham. We go there probably 5 or 6 times a year. I think we will be there next December 2nd - 5th. DW wants to teach the kids to ski.

Jason

sally13

Banned
Reaction score
jason...

won't be there till next year..but as the kids say...awesome..or..radical..if you really feel like an outing when up there....try christmas mountain...its nearby and a perfect place for the kids to start..:)

jjmanthei05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We weren't sure if we were going to go there or Cascade. I don't ski, so I have no idea which is/would be better. I much prefer to just go to the water parks...man do I hate snow.

Jason