• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2006-2014] What Marriott timeshares have you stayed at...

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishowner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: What Marriott timeshares have you stayed at...and which are your favorites?

somebody who's good at that sort of thing should put results together and see which resort's coming out on top so far, trouble is there's no way of putting into figures how many times resorts been visited, to make comparisons fair, eg think Phuket in Thailand omly been mentioned twice but first each time so does that mean its the best cos 2 out of 2 people who've been there rate it the best, whereas Manor Club mentioned a lot but in different positions, so does that mean its good and a lot of people have been there. Or should I just stop babbling on, get a life, and get on with my work instead of cyberslacking!
Lynne:eek:

ArBravesFan

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

englishowner said:
Or should I just stop babbling on, get a life, and get on with my work instead of cyberslacking!
Lynne:eek:

You always allow the counselee to make the statement!

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

1. Newport Coast (own)
2. DSV I (own)
3. Marbella (gorgeous)
4. Custom House (want to go back)
5. Williamsburg (like Geo Washington would walk in anytime)
6. Hilton Head (old one, can't think of name - poo)

In Jan 2007 will stay in Phuket :whoopie:

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score

In order of favorite:
1. Barony
2. Grande Vista
3. Manor Club
we've toured many more and bought 2 in HI recently. Didn't rate these, as the question was where we have stayed. We'll be at Ocean Point this year, too so we'll see.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

There are a number of ways to report the votes thus far in this very unscientific survey. (The following includes my vote for Grande Ocean at #1.)

Most #1 votes
1. Ko Olina 8
2. Grande Ocean 7
2. Maui 6
4. Waiohai 4
5. Aruba Ocean 3
5. Custom House 3
5. Desert Springs I 3

Most votes in voters' top three choices
1. Grande Ocean 14
2. Ko Olina 13
3. Maui 10
3. Ocean Pointe 10
5. Kauai Beach 8

Most #1 votes among those who listed at least 5 choices
1. Grande Ocean 6
2. Ko Olina 5
3. Maui 4
4. Waiohai 3
5. four-way tie

Most votes in top three choices among those who listed at least 5 choices
1. Grande Ocean 12
2. Ko Olina 10
3. Kauai Beach 7
4. Maui 7
5. Newport 6
5. Ocean Pointe 6

In all, 30 resorts have been mentioned in voters' top three choices. A surprising 26 resorts are included in voters' top three choices among voters who listed at least five resorts.

Ko Olina's strength is surprising, considering it's a relatively new resort.

I'll update this from time to time, if we get significant additional voting.

Last edited:

bwenzel

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree with an earlier post that how you rate your favorites is based on alot of things, including the resort itself, the surronding area, & how great of a time you had. Here's my list based on all of the above assumptions:

1. Shadow Ridge (Traded) Great peaceful resort with beautiful rooms and a great balcony complete with chaise lounge chair overlooking the mountains and the golf course, nice full service restaurant on site, great bananna smoothies and cheese fries, nice pools, beautiful surrounding area, had a wonderful time hiking in the mountains and in the desert, had a great time at Disneyland two hours away, & absolutely picture perfect weather at Thanksgiving time about 81 degrees and sunny every day

2. Barony Beach Club (Own Platinum) The resort is very nice with great pools, and a spa on site, rooms not quite as nice as others though I have not seen the refurbished rooms, outstanding beach with warm, non Carribbean blue ocean water, & terrific island family atmosphere with fantastic bike trails

3. Ocean Pointe (Own Gold) (Absolutely beautiful, picture perfect Carribbean blue, warm ocean waters, nice beach, great pools, great rooms with terrific views of the beach and ocean (gotta have that high floor), ok immediate surrounding area though is improving tremendously with all the development on Singer Island, lots to do in Palm Beach especially at City Place an upscale shopping area, & Fort Lauderdale is only an hour drive away)

4. Grande Vista (Bonus Week) Visiting July 8th, 2006 after our week at Ocean Pointe during the Fourth of July.

We also own at Ocean Watch, but we have not been there yet. We will probably go there in 2008 when the gardenview units, with their pools, activity center, & fitness center are open.

I have visited Manor Club and the property is lovely. I could picture us as a family having a lovely picnic on those hills during late spring or early fall. We will go here and do the historic thing. Pools are smallish and much less elaborate than the other resorts we have visited.

Great topic to read other views and opinions and fun to contribute. Thanks for the opportunity!

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

riverdees05 said:
Are there any that you would not stay, poor rating?

We had a very poor experience at Grande Vista and probably wouldn't go back opting to stay at one of the many other resorts in Orlando.

jillk

TUG Member
Reaction score

1. Canyon Villas (very nice resort, easy for us to get to, monotonously beautiful weather)
2. Harbour Point (loved Hilton Head!)

I can see I have a lot of catching up to do! We're hoping for Hawaii next year.

Eli Mairs

TUG Member
Reaction score

Grande Ocean
Desert Springs II
Barony Beach Club
Canyon Villas
Newport Coast
Cypress Harbor
Beach Place Villas
Grande Vista
Imperial Palms
Sabal Palms
Harbor Pointe

Looking forward to Marriott Doral in Sept.

Hotels on points:

J. W Marriott Ko Olina
J.W. Marriott Palm Desert
Marriott County Hall
Marriott Kauai

davewasbaloo

Reaction score
Sorry I'm so late to the party.

We bought, stayed at and fell in love with Marriott Ile de France in June this year. As much as we love it, my son starts school next year, so we want to make the most out of our time before the school controls us.

As a result, we swapped a june week at Marriott for a week at Newport Beach Club in March 2008. We then recieved an AC which I just used to book in at Son Antem Mallorca for the last week of November 2007.

I am soooooo happy with our purchase!

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just noticed this thread

1. Ko'Olina (own there - have to stop my husband from buying another week there!)
2. Shadow Ridge (own there and we don't golf but WE LOVE PALM DESERT)
3. Newport Coast (except for the trespassers -- we will go back there for sure)
4. Kauai Beach Club (except for the rain). We are not big fans of Kauai but we might try Waiohai in the future.
5. Maui (great location and Maui is beautiful but I really disliked all the reserving/abandoning of lounges -- only Marriott where we have had that experience -- seems like a small thing but it clearly affected my feeling about the resort)
6. Ocean Pointe -- ok but nothing really special IMO. I'm not a big Florida fan I guess.
7. DSV I (hated it with a passion so bought at Shadow Ridge)

We are looking forward to trading into one of the Aruba resorts --- they look great and so many of you give them high praise!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Love my Marriott timeshare:D

1) Kauai Beach Club X2
2) Maui Ocean Club
3) Shadow Ridge
4) Ko'Olina ( least favorite and would rather stay at anyother HI Marriott )

It is very interesting to see where everyone has stayed and how they rate the resorts.

Turkel

linmcginn

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Newport Coast villas
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Marbella
Marriott Playa Andaluza
Marriott Son Antem
Marriott Canyon Villas
Marriott Desert Springs I (next week)

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
my picks

1. Ko Olina (can't wait to go back again next August)
2. Grande Ocean (own 2 weeks)
3. Surf Club (toured but didn't stay there)
4. Cypress Harbour (own there)

Soon to stay at

Marriott Ocean Point

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see how few people have actually stayed at Waiohai.

Is it difficult to get into because of its small size?? Maybe it is the owner occupancy rate.?.?

Is there some place to find the owner occupancy rates?
To keep from changing the spirit of this thread, it is OK to PM me the answer if you know.

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tough, tough decision! I don't think I can choose. As my husband just said, "There ain't a dog in the bunch." They all offer something different.

Here are my choices:

1. Surfwatch x2 (quiet, private beach - loved the boardwalk & marshes/dunes, brand new, LOVED the master bath shower)

2. Ocean Point x3 (resort is beautiful, best pool bar of all I have stayed at - fabulous oceanside views from higher floors, especially when facing south, beach & inlet are right there)

3. Ocean Watch x2 (might go higher when the resort is done, was there both times when only the two front oceanside buildings were done, loved the pool and quiet, beautiful beach, also liked the hotel right next door - had a nice lunch there with a great view of the ocean)

4. Newport Coast Villas (stayed with my sister, so didn't 'experience' the master bath, loved sitting on the balcony and looking at the ocean, pools were beautiful but rather cool for early December, lots to do in the area) - will be going in early November (2007) - my exchange this time - can't wait

5. Grande Ocean (lots to do, great area of HHI - close to everything, including Sea Pines, huge resort, great ocean view & very close to beach)

6. Beachplace Towers x3 (best sunrises from the oceanfront baclonies, great views, so much to do, don't need a car)

7. Barony (spa was fabulous, pools were nice, no ocean view unless you are oceanfront - too many huge trees, great beach)

I'm sure you noticed the trend. I love anything right on the beach. If I can sit on the balcony and look at the ocean - that's true paradise to me.

Also, waiting on a request for Waiohai for late June 2009 to celebrate our anniversary - never been to Hawaii - hope it comes through

We have so many more to try out. I would, eventually, like to try them all. I can't wait!!

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, hubby puts Beachplace Towers first, says beacuse it was so different from all the rest and you didn't need a car. He also puts Barony near the top because we LOVE HHI and we had such a great vacation the week we stayed there (very quiet, relaxing week just the 2 of us, relaxing swim in the pool every night followed by a dip in the hot tub & we also got massages while we were there that left us feeling fabulous)

Just goes to show you how subjective the lists are!!

luv2vacation

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting to see how few people have actually stayed at Waiohai.

Is it difficult to get into because of its small size?? Maybe it is the owner occupancy rate.?.?

Is there some place to find the owner occupancy rates?
To keep from changing the spirit of this thread, it is OK to PM me the answer if you know.

I would be interested in any replies to this also. I have an ongoing request in for Waiohai for June 2009. It's kind of a belated 25th anniversary celebration (June 2006 was the 25th, but couldn't go away family circumstances) and this is the resort that I really want to go to.

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This was a great idea! I realized how many great trades we've had with BeachPlace--where we have never stayed in 10 years of ownership. I also realized as I tried to rank them, it was the location/activities that made me rank as I did. All the units were top notch as they should be!:cheer:

Sadly, I couldn't rank our latest acquisition, St Kitts Beach Club, since we won't occupy until next year, but of course we anticpate a high ranking!!!

Waiohai Beach Club
Kaui Beach Club
Maui Beach Club
Surfwatch
Grande Ocean
Monarch at Sea Pines
Sabal Palms
Newport Coast
Barony Beach Club
Grande Vista
Aruba Surf Club
Manor Club
Legends Edge
Summit Watch

ffxjack

TUG Member
Reaction score
rank based on what?

Just out of curiosity...what criteria are people using?

Are they saying that was the best resort, the best overall location, the best amenities, etc. I notice that lots of people have Manor Club on the list and I'm wondering is that b/c they love Williamsburg or is the resort itself that's so great.

For the record, I've only been to one, Grande Ocean and loved it so much I bought.

Reaction score
Something of a "rookie" on the TS scene, but have stayed at three. Aruba Surf Club would be my favorite, since it is our home resort. But have stayed at Aruba Ocean Club and Grand Chateau in Las Vegas and loved them both.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
1. Grand Ocean -June 07 -best overall - I love Hilton Head
2. Horizon's Orlando- Feb 07 -Kids loved the pools, mini golf, nice new room
3. Ocean Pointe - Dec 06 -resort was very nice, area around resort lacked activities
4. Grand Vista - Feb 05 -Room was poor, old not renovated, resort was too large

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Grande Ocean
2. Manor Club
3. Grande Vista
4. Barony
5. Cypress Harbour
6. Royal Palms

The top five were all very close in my opinion with each having something unique and different. Royal Palms was just okay.

potchak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I can rank only two, but we just became owners last year.

1) Waiohai -- Wonderful location all around. Great spot on poipu beach that is almost completely private and just loved how quiet the resort seemed to be. The grounds were just absolutely gorgeous. Loved it so much we bought there.
2) Timberlodge-- great location in Tahoe. Maybe not on the beach, but steps away from the gondola. Rooms are nice, and jacuzzi a lot of fun. Loved the lodgy feel of the furnishings

We will be staying at Manor Club original in a couple of weeks. We bought there when we visited Timberlodge. I am hoping to be very happy with it. We love Williamsburg.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
My favorite

Kauai Beach Club (3 x)
Maui Beach Club
Aruba Surf Club
Kauai Waiohai
Aruba Ocean Club
Desert Springs I and II (10x)
Lake Tahoe Grand Residence (2 x)
Summit Watch (2 x)