• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

United Airlines Sues Site That Found Loophole for Cheap Tickets

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
United Airlines Sues Site That Found Loophole for Cheap Tickets - by Steve Dent/ Engadget.com

"You know how it's often cheaper to fly from Chicago to Paris by booking a flight to Dubai, and then just getting off at the stopover, which happens to be Paris? Well thanks to a lawsuit from United Airlines and booking site Orbitz, you do now -- the airlines are suing a site called Skiplagged, which arranges "hidden city" connection discounts. Here's how it works: airlines often charge more for popular routes like Chicago/Paris than for less popular, but much longer, multi-connection routes like Chicago/Dubai. The site susses out such routes and steers you to the cheaper tickets -- you just need to get out at the "hidden city" stopover..."

459628076.jpg

Richard

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
You can do this on your own with some time and effort, but it requires taking a carry-on only (because your luggage will be tagged to continue on to your final destination). Also, the airline can and will cancel your return trip if you try this on the flight out.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
They will also sometimes cancel your FF Account and eliminate any miles you might have there if they find you did this. :eek:

Cheers

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if your BOS-SFO-SEA flight gets changed to BOS-DEN-SEA I hope you enjoy your stay in either Denver or Seattle.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I can see why airlines dislike it but it doesn't appear to be illegal or true fraud. I hope they lose the lawsuit.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This would only affect a small number of travelers who might be willing to try it. They have to find the wanted connecting city, plan a one way trip, and not have checked luggage. I'm surprised that United is bothering. The lawsuit just alerts more people to the possibility.

MY FIL once booked a round trip ticket because it was quite a bit cheaper than the one way. He just never took the return trip.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Why Airlines Hate Hidden City Ticketing - by George Hobica/ Founder and President of Airfarewatchdog.com a TripAdvisor Company/ linkedin.com

"You've probably already heard the David vs. Goliath "hidden city airfare" story that's been all over the news.

Briefly, a sweet faced 22-year-old tech whiz kid in his spare time designed a website called Skiplagged that shows people how to cheat the airlines out of revenue using an insider strategy that's been around for years.

For the uninitiated, here's how it works: a nonstop fare from Los Angeles to Dallas might be over $300 one-way on a given day, but a fare on the same airline from LA to Austin with a stop in Dallas might be $150. So you buy the flight to Austin and ditch the plane in Dallas.

And before we go on, let me say that I am not an airline apologist or shill, as this article (outlining 12 new regulations we need) should demonstrate. And I fully support Skiplagged's First Amendment rights to publicize fare savings. However, the way Aktarer Zaman, the site's founder, designed and monetized his website leaves some murky questions, as I'll explain in a minute, and there may be unintended consequences for consumers..."

Richard