• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Royal Sands Cancun

AceValenta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We confirmed into a two bedroom at The Royal Sands for November. Can anyone give us some information about the resort? i.e. Proximity to shopping? Restaurants? Nightlife? Beverages? Pools? or anything you can think of....

I have read other posts that there is a market in the resort, are their prices reasonable?

We have stayed at the Palace Resorts in the past as well as your other miscellaneous hotels in Cancun. This will be our first stay at one of the Royal resorts.

Thanks for all of your help.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We confirmed into a two bedroom at The Royal Sands for November. Can anyone give us some information about the resort? i.e. Proximity to shopping? Restaurants? Nightlife? Beverages? Pools? or anything you can think of....

I have read other posts that there is a market in the resort, are their prices reasonable?

We have stayed at the Palace Resorts in the past as well as your other miscellaneous hotels in Cancun. This will be our first stay at one of the Royal resorts.

Thanks for all of your help.

The Sands is a half a block away from the Kulkulkan Plaza. It is also next door to the Ritz. Restaurants nearby: Harry's, Puerto Madero, Laguana Grill, all of the restaurants at La Isla.
The restaurant at the Sands La Veranda is great for breakfast and lunch. They have theme night buffets--we don't go because we like other local restaurants. There is daily maid service--except Sunday. Beach is nice--we are beach people so we never go to the pools. Any other questions--send me a private message.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two pools - one huge, with ledges along the sides and lounge chairs on the ledges, one good-sized. Also a lap pool and kiddie pools. A pool bar in each pool, and you can order anything from the restaurant to be delivered by the pool waiters. Happy Hour is 3-7, I believe, and they'll bring free chips/salsa with your drinks.

Market prices are higher than you'd find in a grocery store such as WalMart, but unless you are planning to buy a lot and do serious cooking, you may not want to spend a half-day going to WalMart and shopping. The market has just about everything other than fresh meats, but there are frozen meats. If you plan to get liquor you might want to use the duty-free shop at the airport on your way in.

You might want to pre-arrange transport to the Sands via van. If there are only two of you, Thomas More (see royalresorts.com) is a good option. Once you hit 4-5 people, it's less expensive to reserve a private van through either cancunvalet.com or entertainment-plus.net. Both are excellent services and get great reviews on TUG. The least expensive way for four or fewer people is Th. More FROM the airport and a cab back TO the airport; the doorman will get a cab from the line that is waiting 24/7.

Sunday morning go to the "orientation meeting" - you'll get tons of info about tours (ruins, snorkeling, etc), nightlife, and shopping. You can book tours from any of the three services above.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
You asked for a lot of information and you may get a good number of responses. However, you may want to search the Mexico for "The Sands" "Royal Resorts" (or "Tri-Royals" to get more Royal perspective.)

In the meantime, some random thoughts:

The Sands has a sports bar. In November that's a good thing for those of us who like US football. Prices are moderate.

The pool bars serve decent food. Prices are moderate.

Mini-Market pricing is fair considering the could gouge you for the convenience, but they don't.

Take advantage of the bus service that circulates between the Cancun Royal Resorts. You can use any of the facilities or restaurants at any of the resorts, including the Captain's Cove on the lagoon.

You are a short taxi ride away from many restaurants and popular bars. It's easy, safe and prices are fair.

You can take the public bus to some of the restaurants and downtown. Make sure you have the exact change in pesos. Buses may get crowded at certain times of the day.

Most of all.... Enjoy!

Mike

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
When you get there, go to the orientation meeting---they will give you up tp date information.

AceValenta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their answers! I will definitely use some of the tips and hint provided......Especially, the Duty Free Shop at the airport! :clap:

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks to everyone for their answers! I will definitely use some of the tips and hint provided......Especially, the Duty Free Shop at the airport! :clap:

That's a tip that will save much more than your annual TUG membership. :whoopie:

Mike

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they mean the duty free shop at your departing airport. You will have to take the liquor on board.

Unless something has changed, you can't use duty free shops on your arrival in Cancun, or anywhere for that matter. They are only for departing international flights.

jschmidt

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they mean the duty free shop at your departing airport. You will have to take the liquor on board.

Unless something has changed, you can't use duty free shops on your arrival in Cancun, or anywhere for that matter. They are only for departing international flights.

Yes you can! The duty free shop is just across from customs and is intended for use by arriving tourist. :cheer:

kathyth12

Reaction score
Oh, yes, the arrivals duty free shop has been there for a few years now. It's always our first stop after we pass immigration but before we pick up our luggage. Good prices. I think each person is allowed to bring 3 liters into Mexico - at least I know I've brought in three and cleared customs with no issue.

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a follow-up to my earlier comment regarding the bus service between the Royal Resorts, the frequency of departures has been cut back one more time. Several months ago they cut it back to every 45 minutes from 30 minutes, and now to hourly departures beginning Sept 5. Unfortunately the Cancun Taxi Union has prevailed another time. :(

http://www.royalresortsnews.com/news/cancun-shuttle-service/

Mike