• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV T-Mobile quality and reception?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When I'm at WKORV I end up working a lot, and having great reception is important. I've had ATT for years and it's worked great at this resort. Currently we're considering switching to T-Mobile and in viewing coverage maps of this resort it looks questionable that there is good reception.

So, have any of you with T-Mobile phones had good experiences at WKORV? Bad?

Thx!

Sent from my iPad

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We have ATT and Verizon - even these can change depending on location within WKORV/N

Internet wise - getting 10Mbps for download and upload speeds at least from OFD south-corner B2 (6th floor)

Spectacular here - calm and hot (95F)

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have ATT and Verizon - even these can change depending on location within WKORV/N

Internet wise - getting 10Mbps for download and upload speeds at least from OFD south-corner B2 (6th floor)

Spectacular here - calm and hot (95F)

Yeah, I've had few problems with ATT at WKORV. But, I'm considering changing to T-Mobile (for a ~55% savings vs ATT for the *same* services) and so am trying to discover if the resorts and other locations I routinely travel to have decent coverage. The map shows it does, but then a third party coverage map is inconsistent, so I thought I'd ask for personal results.

Anyone got T-Mobile and been to WKORV/N?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
If you don't need a new phone every 2 years, you might consider switching to the AT&T Next plan. You lose the discounted upgrade every 2 years but you get the same service for far less money. When you want a new phone you pay retail (although they will let you pay for it in equal payments over 20 months).

Our bill for 3 phones on a family plan dropped from ~$210 to ~$130 for the exact same plan. That's a savings of $80 per month, which can be saved and applied towards new phones only when we want them.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you don't need a new phone every 2 years, you might consider switching to the AT&T Next plan. You lose the discounted upgrade every 2 years but you get the same service for far less money. When you want a new phone you pay retail (although they will let you pay for it in equal payments over 20 months).

Our bill for 3 phones on a family plan dropped from ~$210 to ~$130 for the exact same plan. That's a savings of $80 per month, which can be saved and applied towards new phones only when we want them.

I'm going to save more by switching to T-Mobile. I've been a very long time ATT customer and no longer have any loyalty for them. They need to offer similar pricing as the competitors in order to keep my business. But, if there is a marked difference in product quality then it makes sense. However, it appears TM has improved their network dramatically in recent years, and I really like their new iPhone iOS 8 wifi calling capability, which ATT doesn't have. And, we can use our ATT phones on TM.

We're switching from three phones that cost $288 after taxes to $100 plus taxes. That's more than my WKV MF every year. ;)

Still curious about any first hand TMobile experiences at WKORV...

Sent from my iPad

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to save more by switching to T-Mobile. I've been a very long time ATT customer and no longer have any loyalty for them. They need to offer similar pricing as the competitors in order to keep my business. But, if there is a marked difference in product quality then it makes sense. However, it appears TM has improved their network dramatically in recent years, and I really like their new iPhone iOS 8 wifi calling capability, which ATT doesn't have. And, we can use our ATT phones on TM.

We're switching from three phones that cost $288 after taxes to $100 plus taxes. That's more than my WKV MF every year. ;)

Still curious about any first hand TMobile experiences at WKORV...

Sent from my iPad

Can't speak for WKORV but can for Tmo since I've been a long time Cingular/ATT customer and switched to Tmo. Awful. I just switched back after 6 months. I made the same financial decision. Significant less for same service. Well, it's not. Unless you don't travel outside of main metro areas you'll get no service, poor service, or "roaming." On s recent trip I was limited to about 50MB of data since I was "roaming" on another carrier because Tmo had no service.

I have ATT next now.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We can get Wal-Mart Straight Talk for $45/mo., and it runs on AT&Ts system. Even works fine with an AT&T locked phone. Slip out their SIM, and put in Straight Talk. You can port your number too.

Jim

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We can get Wal-Mart Straight Talk for $45/mo., and it runs on AT&Ts system. Even works fine with an AT&T locked phone. Slip out their SIM, and put in Straight Talk. You can port your number too.

Jim

That's more expensive than T-Mobile. Current offer is four lines for $100, and extra lines only add'l $10/mth.

I've looked into Straighttalk and won't get them due to concerns about customer service and data overage/throttling issues.

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Can't speak for WKORV but can for Tmo since I've been a long time Cingular/ATT customer and switched to Tmo. Awful. I just switched back after 6 months. I made the same financial decision. Significant less for same service. Well, it's not. Unless you don't travel outside of main metro areas you'll get no service, poor service, or "roaming." On s recent trip I was limited to about 50MB of data since I was "roaming" on another carrier because Tmo had no service.

I have ATT next now.

Yeah, that's the story I used to hear about with regards to TM. Lately that's changed, or else I'm just talking to people who are in good coverage areas. The good news is that it's month by month now, so I'm not tied to any carrier (other than whatever the minimum length of time is needed before I can port numbers again).

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was at WKORVN in May with my T-Mobile phone and don't recall any problems at all.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I'm going to save more by switching to T-Mobile. I've been a very long time ATT customer and no longer have any loyalty for them. They need to offer similar pricing as the competitors in order to keep my business. But, if there is a marked difference in product quality then it makes sense.

If you're a long time AT&T customer, why do you no longer have any loyalty to them? Did they do something to upset you? Or is it simply the pricing?

I can't speak for WKORV, but in the DC metro area my friends with T-Mobile are constantly complaining about the service.

tmschmal

Reaction score
I was also there is May and don't recall any issues with Tmobile.

I have a tiny travel router that I carry with me, which could be used for wifi calling using the wired internet to the room if needed. I don't use it as much anymore as cell & wifi coverage keeps getting better, but it is worth the ~$20 investment.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you're a long time AT&T customer, why do you no longer have any loyalty to them? Did they do something to upset you? Or is it simply the pricing?

As the market becomes more mature, there are numerous options for mobile service. Legacy carriers need to innovate in order to remain competitive, and the products ATT currently offers are not equal with others..and price comparison and implied value becomes more important. For instance, T-Mobile offers included 2G international data as part of the subscription - while slow, it's a lot more than the others offer. Similarly, they started offering free text messaging while on some planes and international text messaging is included.

I can't speak for WKORV, but in the DC metro area my friends with T-Mobile are constantly complaining about the service.

I'm sure we will also find people who don't like one or another service. I'm primarily interested in coverage in my area, which appears to be quite good, but would be concerned if I don't have decent coverage when traveling. The best news is that I won't sign any long term contract and won't hesitate to migrate to a new provider - or back to ATT - if it becomes a serious issue. I think a savings of ~55% compared to ATT is worth a little investment in time and effort.

Sent from my iPad

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was also there is May and don't recall any issues with Tmobile.

I have a tiny travel router that I carry with me, which could be used for wifi calling using the wired internet to the room if needed. I don't use it as much anymore as cell & wifi coverage keeps getting better, but it is worth the ~$20 investment.

Thanks! I also always travel to SVN properties with an Airport Express and use it to get my devices online easily (especially my Apple TV, or Roku moving forward...). However, I have had issues with internet at the resorts in the past so don't want to rely solely upon internet access for calling. But, I agree that WiFi Calling is a big plus.

Sent from my iPad

baz48

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have T-Mobile and have had no issues at WKORV (or anywhere else for that matter). We recently switched to the new plan for $100 for 4 phones with unlimited talk, text and data. It also includes free data and text in 120 countries which will come in very handy on our South American Cruise next year! International phone calls will be 20 cents per minute unless we use wi-fi, which I see they are now introducing, although I don't know those details.

So go ahead with T-Mobile.