• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which Colorado Resort

Valmiki

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Considering a Colorado ski vacation for the family in the 2nd-3rd week of December and wondering which is the best resort. Will be using my staroptions.

I stayed at the Sheraton in Avon/Vail already around 2010. The Westin looked newer and nicer at that time.
Was wondering if the Sheraton Steamboat would be a better experience?

Would appreciate any feedback

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Steamboat is famous for being family friendly and the Sheraton is right next to the gondola. Of course I'm biased since I live in Steamboat during the winter and ski several times a week.

Snow in any CO resort can be iffy that early (not this year) and the entire mountain may not be open. I suggest you wait till Jan if possible, but if not, there's lots to do here besides skiing.

Cheers

Valmiki

Reaction score
From reading reviews it seems Steamboat is a bigger town with more to do, while the Westin resort in Avon maybe nicer with better quality villas etc.
I am leaning towards Steamboat since I already did the Avon/Vail area so looking for a new experience --- should be the 9th resort I will be visiting in Starwood's resorts.
My daughters prefer the Westin though and think this will be better for Beginner skiers like our family.

Decisions Decisions!!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
FYI, none of the ski resorts ever became available for exchange when I searched 3 years ago at 8-6 months out. I was searching for mid-January to late March IIRC.

Valmiki

Reaction score
FYI, none of the ski resorts ever became available for exchange when I searched 3 years ago at 8-6 months out. I was searching for mid-January to late March IIRC.

I plan to check 8 months out which should be soon, will give feedback

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is very unlikely that you will be able to use StarOptions to trade into Steamboat. There are very few units (I think only 18) and they are all 2 or 3 bedrooms. I have been looking for the past three years and have never seen availability.

I have gone to Avon the past three winters ... 2013 and 2014 we stayed at the Westin (1 Bedroom and then Studio) and 2015 in the Sheraton.

The Westin is definitely nicer and closer to the Gondola but we didn't really mind the slight inconvenience of the Sheraton. You have a much better chance for availability of getting into the Sheraton than the Westin.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I missed the date in December ... you might be able to get into all three resorts that early in the ski season.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
If you want to use RCI, The Steamboat Grand is across the street from the Sheraton. They have a ski storage area and valet service across from the The Grand so you don't have to lug your stuff to/from the hill.

One reason I chose Steamboat to live during the winter is that it is real town that was there long before the ski area. :D

Plenty to do besides skiing.

Cheers

Last edited: