• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pls help. I bought Broadway on eBay

Morganfrmn

Reaction score
hello,
I bought a Broadway plantation off ebay. I got the maintenance fee bill and it included the SVN network. I called them up and they tell me it's not tradeable. Because I did not buy from them.
Any ideas? I would like to trade in the Starwood system if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Resales purchased at this resort do not trade in the SVN - you would have to use RCI or II.

The error on the maintenance fee billing in which they are charging you the SVN fee is a common error that Starwood often makes when transferring a deed from an original owner to a resale owner.

For more info. about how Starwood works, see the Starwood FAQ at the top of the page. The end of that article specifically compares the difference between a resale with Staroptions and a resale without Staroptions.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
You need to read the Starwood Stickies at the top of the forum to understand the difference between "mandatory" and "voluntary" resorts and how that affects trading through the SVN network. Look at the Starwood FAQ's and the Starwood Onwer Resources for details on the options you now have.

You have bought what is called a "voluntary" resort. This means that participation in the Starwood Vacation Network is voluntary. When you buy a resort like that on the resale market, like you did on eBay, membership in the SVN is not included and cannot be added unless you buy another vacation interval directly from Starwood. You will not be able to trade through SVN. Any trades will have to be through Interval International.

Morganfrmn

Reaction score
Ok I've read that.
So please tell me if this is correct
I register with a trade network
Then I book a week. By making a reservation.
Then I place that week up for trade?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Ok I've read that.

You should take the time to read all the great info contained in the STICKY THREADS ;)

From the STARWOOD FAQ thread
"Exchanging a Starwood Resort with Interval International" - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109418

STEP 1 - Opening an Account & Registering your timeshare(s)

Step 2 - Depositing and Exchanging - for both SVN II Accts. and personal II Accts.

1. True fixed weeks can still be deposited using the fixed week date
2. With floating weeks, an owner can no longer select and deposit the week of their choice.power.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Ok I've read that.

No - After you open an Acct. with II, you contact Starwood and "designate your week for exchange." This means they will give you a "deposit credit." You do not get to reserve or select the week that is deposited.

As recommended above, see all the details in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I think they took away the requirement that you have to "designate for deposit". As long as the MF's are paid and you don't have a date reserved you can do a request first or a deposit first with II or you can deposit with RCI. If it is for 2016 you can do manual searches without prepaying your MF's but as soon as you request to deposit, start on ongoing request first request or make a manual exchange you need to make sure your MF's for that year is paid or the search/manual confirmation will be cancelled when II confirms with Starwood.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think they took away the requirement that you have to "designate for deposit".

I think you are saying that you can initiate an exchange without actually "designating the deposit for exchange" first? (Notifying Starwood that you want to exchange the week.)

I think that's true, but historically, I think we've seen that things go smoother if you designated for exchange first. YMMV

Last edited:

Morganfrmn

Reaction score
So do you all think that all this works?
And I should be able to trade.

Or will I loose my fees and my week.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You shouldn't have to pay the SVN fee. If you have you should ask that to be refunded. It works but it may depend on where you are hoping to go. Where and when were you hoping to exchange into.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So do you all think that all this works?
And I should be able to trade.

Please be more specific about where and when you want to exchange and we can provide a better response.

Or will I loose my fees and my week.

There is no way to lose it - you own a deeded week every year, and it's yours to do with as you please.

That being said, successful II trading takes advance planning, and you want to get your 2016 request in as early as possible.

Best Practice with II:
- Put in an Ongoing Search with II (like wait listing) as early as possible
- Select a wide range of dates
- Select several resorts
- Remember that you have higher priority for trades into other Starwood resorts
- Search online AS WELL as putting in an OGS

Exchanging practices that are counter-productive:
- Only requesting 1 week
- Only requesting 1 resort
- Only requesting the top resorts (trading up)
- Only requesting school holidays
- Only searching online
- Not requesting Starwood resorts

Last edited:

Morganfrmn

Reaction score
II question

Im new, and I have been reading all the sticky's.

Is it possible for me to create an account with II, and perouse the site to see if I want to join...

or must I pay a membership fee up front to look around.

also what is that annual fee...

I notice all the stickys list exchange fees, which I think must mean the fee when you trade, but I don't see them list the membership fee.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood has completely different rules with II, than other timeshares, so I moved your question back to the Starwood forum. This is the best place for Starwood questions, because non-Starwood owners probably won't know the Starwood rules.

There is yearly membership fee, and an exchange fee each time you exchange. The membership fee is around $100 per year - and it must extend until after your timeshare exchange is complete. So let's say you want an exchange for Dec. 2016 - your membership must extend until after that date.

*The yearly membership fees are posted at the very top of the Starwood and II sticky.

Even if you did have free access to II, it wouldn't be that helpful, because the best trades are made with Ongoing Searches, behind the scenes - you never see them online. The online inventory is only the "leftovers." In other words, all the Ongoing Seaches are matched first, and then they post the leftovers online.

If you'd like to tell us when and where you'd like to go, we can give you a good idea if the exchange is likely or not.

Also: If you become a paid TUG member ($15) you will have access to the member's only features. This includes access to the Sightings and Distressed forum, where you can post a "Sightings Request," and ask members with II Accts. to search II for you, to check on specific availability (a specific resort, for a specific date or season.) However, that doesn't guarantee that anything that a member sees online today, will still be there after you open and account and deposit your week.

*A gentle request: Please post any new questions or comments about this timeshare in this same thread, rather than starting new ones.

Last edited:

Morganfrmn

Reaction score
ok I figured out what an ongoing search is... thank you..

I don't really care where I go, but I don't think I want to go to myrtle beach.

I think I might like to go to scotsdale az, or Colorado, or san Francisco. I don't
really care when.

ok, I bought a 2 bed room lock off week 39 for 1 dollar from ebay... broadway Sheraton.. I went to II, and it offered me several codes, about 5 choices.

I also bought a manhattan club off ebay for 1 dollar... (oct or nov I don't remember exact week) I have the deeds to both
and I am just figuring out how all this works...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ok I figured out what an ongoing search is... thank you..

I don't really care where I go, but I don't think I want to go to myrtle beach.

I think I might like to go to scotsdale az, or Colorado, or san Francisco. I don't
really care when.

ok, I bought a 2 bed room lock off week 39 for 1 dollar from ebay... broadway Sheraton.. I went to II, and it offered me several codes, about 5 choices.

I also bought a manhattan club off ebay for 1 dollar... (oct or nov I don't remember exact week) I have the deeds to both
and I am just figuring out how all this works...

Starwood has timeshares in Colorado and Arizona - which you have priority for with the Starwood to Starwood preference in II, however, WHEN you want to go is the prime question. (No Starwood resort in San Francisco, so that will be more difficult, unless you are completely flexible about when you travel.)

You probably won't get a trade for Colorado in ski season, or AZ in March (MLB Spring Training) or other holidays, but other time frames are doable, with an OGS placed well in advance, for a broad range of dates.

You may want to call Starwood Owner Services and get help with the correct resort code for II: 888.986.9637 or 407.903.4635

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One more note: If you get a Starwood Rep. that acts like they don't know what they are doing. Say good bye, and call back and talk to someone else. Unfortunately, they always seem to have a lot of inexperienced Reps., that aren't great.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to mix things up again... There is another exchange company that you may want to consider: SFX-resorts.com. They have fewer timeshare weeks deposited than the other, bigger companies so it may be harder to get what you want, but they only deal with quality resorts and they are less expensive.

If you decide to exchange through them, you DO reserve your week and then deposit that week for exchange. When doing that, you will want to reserve the highest possible trading week. SFX can help you to decide which weeks would qualify.

303timesharenewb

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVN fee definitely not supposed to be billed on voluntary resale ?

You shouldn't have to pay the SVN fee. If you have you should ask that to be refunded. It works but it may depend on where you are hoping to go. Where and when were you hoping to exchange into.

That's what I thought. I am considering a SBP purchase as well and I just want to make sure that I am in fact able to shake off any SVN annual dues since I obviously don't get Staroptions off resale? And any billing with an SVN fee is an error and can be taken off?

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's what I thought. I am considering a SBP purchase as well and I just want to make sure that I am in fact able to shake off any SVN annual dues since I obviously don't get Staroptions off resale? And any billing with an SVN fee is an error and can be taken off?

Thanks!

Starwood frequently makes errors when they transfer a deed because the original owner had Staroptions and was in the SVN, and the new (resale) owner does not, so Starwood has to make adjustments in the Acct. - (remove the Staroptions/SVN)and they frequently drop the ball on this.

I'd call Owner Services and asked to be connected to Owner Resolution Services.

888.986.9637 or 407.903.4635

*The person who initially answers the phone will probably insist that they can help you - but they can't - this will need to move up the food chain to Owner Resolution Services.

Another possible source of help is the Starwood title office:

Phone 1-800-729-8246 ext. 62291
Fax 1-407-418-7211
Email to send deeds to - 00SVO-TitleChanges@starwoodvo.com

Last edited:

pathways25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Starwood frequently makes errors when they transfer a deed because the original owner had Staroptions and was in the SVN, and the new (resale) owner does not, so Starwood has to make adjustments in the Acct. - they frequently drop the ball on this.

I'd call Owner Services and asked to be connected to Owner Resolution Services.

888.986.9637 or 407.903.4635

*The person who initially answers the phone will probably insist that they can help you - but they can't - this will need to move up the food chain to Owner Resolution Services.

Actually, for issues relating to the SVN fee, you should contact SVN Member Administration at (888) 460-8502. They can remove the fee from your bill for future years and refund this year's fee to you if you reimbursed the seller for 2015 usage.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Thanks!

yes - you can remove the SVN fee if purchased resale (as you do not get SVN privileges). My question is why you would want to buy SBP (resale)?

303timesharenewb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why SBP? Or SVV?

yes - you can remove the SVN fee if purchased resale (as you do not get SVN privileges). My question is why you would want to buy SBP (resale)?

Great question! And one that I've been considering:

Im considering either a low cost Bella unit at SVV versus a free SBP. And based on how we travel (happy to plan and book ahead or flex last minute):

I do want to disclaim that I do not own any timeshares currently and all of my thoughts below are based on TUG resources and opinion I've read over the past year. So I strongly welcome additions, corrections, etc.

Bella Risks:
1. Potential that SPG scraps SVN network for resales/"mandatory" resorts go away. Yes VERY low risk here but I remember reading a thread last year on this.
2. Re-sale is tough even though Bella/Key West is "mandatory"; flooded with too many $0 for other phases?
3. Rent at home resort <= MF's and lots of rental availability
4. Low trading power on exchanges outside of SVN
5. HOA Hike due to foreclosed/neglected units
6. High Value SVN nights cost more/night than a simple SBP Exchange on II
7. Capital Outlay = capEX $1600, $125 closing fee, opEX$1911 ($159/month)
8. Not a significant savings based on how we travel (more last minute)

Bella Pros:
1. Exact trading scheme on SVN; point-based, based on availability but you know what you're worth (whereas II is hit or miss)
2. Flexibility of SVN network of resorts; free membership into II for change-it-up years
3. Low Value Days (max # of vacation nights) < $100/night
4. Orlando seems to have low hurricane/tornado risk
5. SVN Network fee includes membership into II also
6. The most reasonable MF/Staroption is Plat Kierland, but increase in capEx is 20+ year breakeven
7. Intangible benefits of having more control over bookings instead of renting from owners

SBP Risks/Cons
1. Can book or exchange week long trips only
2. Usage starts in 2016 (but we can pre-pay MF and book for 2016?)
3. II System for exchange requires planning ahead to get the best exchanges (do we plan to go to Hawaii a year in advance?)
4. Lower sale inventory availability for SBP, but the ones that are posted have $0 as well
5. The whole exchange process is not a guarantee, although everyone seems to say SBP summer week has great trading power
6. No "weekends" up in the mountains with this option
7. South carolina is in a "hurricane/tornado" zone?
8. 1 week to 1 week trade only; even if lower value on point system

SBP Pros:
1. Always will be $109/night (high or low value) based on MF plus II annual fee and exchange fee
2. Low capEx and opEx outlay for our first timeshare ($0 capEx, $125 closing fees, no transfer fees, $543 annual MF)
3. Good trading value on II
4. If I'm dilligent, can do exchanges outside of II (direct exchange via TUG instead, but risk of non-compliance or cancellation)
5. Any future voluntary properties will not incur an additional $89 fee for II membership
6. Lots of coupons for II membership floating around, it seems?
7. You can search first, before depositing your week on II
8. This is a low MF unit; but has the same trading power on II as other more $$ 1 bdrms
9. Consistent Savings on high value trades (i.e. Hawaii) from what I've read on TUG

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own 3 SBP units, a small one bedroom gold plus, an EOY dedicated 2 br platinum in the Palmetto section and an annual dedicated platinum in the Palmetto section. They work for me. I usually rent them, as a back up they are within 9 hour driving distance for myself, friends or family to use, and if all else fails on the rare occasion I might deposit in II. For where you live and what it sounds like you want I don't think SBP would be a good fit. I am not sure if Bella would be either but at least it seems like a better fit for you.

303timesharenewb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 3 SBP units, a small one bedroom gold plus, an EOY dedicated 2 br platinum in the Palmetto section and an annual dedicated platinum in the Palmetto section. They work for me. I usually rent them, as a back up they are within 9 hour driving distance for myself, friends or family to use, and if all else fails on the rare occasion I might deposit in II. For where you live and what it sounds like you want I don't think SBP would be a good fit. I am not sure if Bella would be either but at least it seems like a better fit for you.

Hi - thanks for your input! Do you like owning at SBP? Do you know if there are any upcoming assessments? If we went with SBP, we were thinking of spending the 2016 week there to enjoy it in the summertime.

If I were closer like you, I would love to use it for myself and regularly too! Unfortunately I'm not a mountain person; otherwise the CO ski resorts would be an easy choice for me.
:)