• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Request to split 2BR Lockoff denied for SVN reservation

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to split the 2BR lockoff for an SVN reservation. The agent told me the only way to do this is to cancel it and wait for it to come back. There was a guarantee I would not lose the whole 2BR reservation, but she said there was no guarantee that I could split the lockoff since this was booked as a 2BR SVN reservation (note: this is a 2BR lockoff unit -- not the regular 2BR).

Sure enough, they called back today restoring the original 2BR lockoff but said it could not be split into two separate reservations due to the high volume of check-in/check-outs that day.

She said due to the pressure it places on the front desk and other services, they may not allow it to be split if it is an SVN reservation -- I confirmed that a home resort reservation is always allowed to be split.

I asked if it could be split at the resort -- she said this would be at the discretion of the resort as it was not guaranteed. So now I may have a guest that can charge to my account while I am at the resort since we are not allowed 2 separate accounts for the unit.

Has anyone experienced this?

-ryan

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had the same drama when I needed to cancel half a SO reservation. The operator said it needs to be cancelled and a 1br (showing as unavailable) booked.
Some very general pleading and escalation to second line got that fixed.
Try asking resolution services or whatever the asupport team is called.

zinger1457

Reaction score
I asked if it could be split at the resort -- she said this would be at the discretion of the resort as it was not guaranteed. So now I may have a guest that can charge to my account while I am at the resort since we are not allowed 2 separate accounts for the unit.

I frequently have guest that come along to share a 2BR lockoff reservation but never felt a need to split it. Are your guest total strangers? Doubt I would even consider inviting a guest that I would be worried about making unauthorized charges to my room account.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I've had guests have their own charge account separate from mine, but it's always a confusing issue at checkout. This seems like a strange and foolish lack of cooperation by Starwood. You might be able to do it at checkin, but don't be surprised if their keys open your unit and vice versa, etc.

Sent from my iPad

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
At WKORV or wkorvn, our 2br II exchange we've not had any problems with our invited guests to get the lock off in our guest's names with separate keys, separate charging,. I know it's not an SVN reservation but makes no sense to me that the resort can't do this whether it's an SVN reservation or II exchange. I would expect better customer service from a Starwood brand resort considering the MFs charged.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure enough, they called back today restoring the original 2BR lockoff but said it could not be split into two separate reservations due to the high volume of check-in/check-outs that day.

-ryan

Seems like pure laziness to me. A lock off is designed to be locked off. They won't be split into two because high volume of check-ins/check outs, SERIOUSLY?

Unbelievable to me.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had guests have their own charge account separate from mine, but it's always a confusing issue at checkout. This seems like a strange and foolish lack of cooperation by Starwood. You might be able to do it at checkin, but don't be surprised if their keys open your unit and vice versa, etc.

Sent from my iPad

Yes, I agree Ken. I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday -- I'd prefer not to parcel through daily charges on whose pool charge is that, whose dinner charge is that, whose spa charge is that ... etc. after a whole week's stay. Not that I'm buying tons of stuff, but it just seems like a headache.

Keys are also an annoyance as I can see the children getting confused on the units. Ecch, I'll try calling again tomorrow.

-ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I frequently have guest that come along to share a 2BR lockoff reservation but never felt a need to split it. Are your guest total strangers? Doubt I would even consider inviting a guest that I would be worried about making unauthorized charges to my room account.
They aren't total strangers but they aren't best friends either. The lockoff door is not an issue -- I can close and lock it myself if needed.

It's not worrying about payment, it's the headache of separating the charges after a week's worth of enjoyment. Sorry, I don't tend to remember every single pool charge I make over a week's stay.

-ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like pure laziness to me. A lock off is designed to be locked off. They won't be split into two because high volume of check-ins/check outs, SERIOUSLY?

Unbelievable to me.

I'll try calling them tomorrow to clarify policy and see if I can get an exception. Now I know -- I'll just book the two sides separately and gamble on being able to join them together if needed from now on.

-ryan

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I'll try calling them tomorrow to clarify policy and see if I can get an exception. Now I know -- I'll just book the two sides separately and gamble on being able to join them together if needed from now on.

-ryan

I think you would have more of a problem getting the two units back together during peak season. I would only do this if you're pretty sure it won't matter if they can't be put back together. I think I'd rather take my chances that the resort will be able to separate the units once you get there.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
They can't put them back together, so don't split them unless you are sure that's what you want.

I can't believe that a Rep. said a 2 bdm. lockoff couldn't be split - that's nonsense. Next time ask for owner resolution services or a supervisor, or just call back and talk to someone else.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that no matter how hard you work to achieve something like this, at checkin the resort may have no record of it or choose to ignore it.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Keep in mind that no matter how hard you work to achieve something like this, at checkin the resort may have no record of it or choose to ignore it.

Actually - if Owner Services splits your reservation, they will send you two separate confirmations, so there will definitely be documentation.

Last edited:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score

if it's been noted in the booking by SVO, the resort is bound by those comments.

I had a LONG discussion with management about this at WKORV during this trip (with regards to a different booking earlier this year) and they are supposed to pay attention to those comments

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wanted to post the resolution so that others know:

I called owner services on Friday, and spoke to an agent in resolution services. They confirmed that they would not be able to split the lockoff due to the restriction of number of check-ins/check-outs on Saturday.

I then offered to drop one of the nights from the smaller lockout so that I would check-in on Sunday for one of the sides and Saturday for the original side. (This actually would not work for me, but I wanted to test out their explanation). I was told that this also was not allowed and that there would be no guarantee I could get back the Saturday reservation.

After going back and forth on the fact that this made no sense since I was making a concession due to their limit on check-ins for Saturday and that in the long diatribe they read out when making an SVN reservation, it is never mentioned that a lockoff cannot be locked off into two separate units, he said he would escalate it further.

This morning, I received a message that as a one time goodwill gesture, they will override the property restriction and split the lockoff for me into two reservations. I am happy with the outcome, but wanted to let others know that this is a possibility when booking lockoffs as SVN reservations.

Regards,
Ryan

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
This is really one of the stupidest things I've heard. The villas have a maximum number of occupants, which presumably were written for fire code ordinances. As long as you don't exceed that number, Starwood should allow reservations to be split. Or they should hire additional staff to deal with busy Saturday check-ins.

Geesh.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What a bunch of baloney! So much for "Starwood flexibility." :doh:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
This morning, I received a message that as a one time goodwill gesture, they will override the property restriction and split the lockoff for me into two reservations. I am happy with the outcome, but wanted to let others know that this is a possibility when booking lockoffs as SVN reservations.

Regards,
Ryan

Whenever a bureaucracy mentions "one time goodwill gesture" to me I respond with an emphatic "no". It is not a goodwill gesture to do what is not above and beyond an included benefit of purchase, etc etc. CSRs usually don't understand why I respond this way, but I specifically tell them that I am glad they acknowledge their responsibility to perform a service, and that when I need a similar resolution in future I will reference this precedent that they admit is valid.

Sent from my iPad