• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Speeding ticket ???

uop1497

Reaction score
Thanks everyone who helps organize and give wonderful advices for our recent trip. I will talk more about that later.

DH got a speeding ticket in Idaho during our recent trip :( . We lives in California and I would like to know the way to prevent this ticket not show up in his driving record. What is the best way to do so that this ticket will not affect our car insurance fee . I do not like to see our car insurance fee goes up. We insure our cars with Mercury company.

Would it possible to take traffic school on line or so . If you know the way, please share. Thank you

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm probably the wrong person to give advice on this. Having not had a traffic ticket in many decades and many millions of miles. But once, many years ago, I got what I thought was an unfair ticket that not only would have affected my insurance, but would have caused a suspension of my driving privileges- and therefore my job- for months.

Here's what I learned then: If you don't want a ticket on your record, you HAVE to fight it and get it dismissed in court. Today, virtually every citation is shared between states.

I'm sure there is a phone number on the citation he was issued to call. He should call and ask if there is a way to keep it from appearing on his record. I'm sure that the court clerk that he talks to will give more accurate information than you'll get here.

We're glad to hear that you had a good trip and are safe. There was some concern for your safety in the Yellowstone area with last week's storms.

Jim

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotten a speeding ticket once. My insurance didn't go up. I heard they only pull your abstract when you buy new insurance or do some drastic policy change.

uop1497

Reaction score
Thanks for good advices .I will remind DH to call the phone number listed on the ticket to see if he can attending traffic school on line or so. DH is normally not a fast driving person. I was surprised to see the police came out his car and said DH drove over 90 miles (80 miles limit on freeway). I sat in passenger seats next to him and did not feel the car moving really fast.

lvhmbh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here in Florida there are "lawyers" who, for a fee - $75 or so - will make sure that no points or record go on your license. You do still have to pay the fine.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to see the police came out his car and said DH drove over 90 miles (80 miles limit)

It isn't important that you couldn't sense the speed, but that DH was looking at the numbers on the speedometer, and knew he was 'pushing the envelope'. More importantly though, 90 mph is too fast to drive an unfamiliar rental car full of loved ones. WTF was he thinking?

(Soapbox mode OFF)

Jim

Last edited:

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't just call

Almost every citation has a date by which you must enter your plea in writing.

Regardless of what he intends to do next, the first step is to enter a plea of "not guilty" by mail OR, if allowed, request defensive driving, by mail. Make a copy of the letter that is sent and mail it by certified mail from the post office where they will stamp the date that the envelope was mailed.

The effect that a ticket has on insurance and driving license status varies tremendously by state. In Texas, it takes a total of 5 points (1 point for each moving violation conviction and 2 points per accident) over a three year period before your license is suspended. In Delaware, a single ticket may result in a 6 month suspension.

I second the motion for getting a lawyer to represent you. The lawyer should be in Idaho, not in California. And one is not necessary for driving school.

elaine

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regardless of what he intends to do next, the first step is to enter a plea of "not guilty" by mail OR, if allowed, request defensive driving, by mail. Make a copy of the letter that is sent and mail it by certified mail from the post office where they will stamp the date that the envelope was mailed.

I don't understand the reluctance of many to just pick up the phone and call. Maybe they will tell you that you must respond in writing. Maybe not. All I know is that I have had a lot of success in my life talking to people.

George

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Here in Florida, you have 3 options:
-- Just Pay the Ticket (take the points).
-- Elect Driving School (can be online) for a Withhold (no points), but still pay a fine.
-- Contest the Ticket and ask for a Hearing.

I've had experience with all three from multiple speeding tickets in Waldo, Florida.
(my car's fault).

Typically, you make your choice known by checking a box on the ticket and mailing it.
Some Clerk's are set up for you to do this online. Look for a web address on the ticket.

One or even a few speeding tickets should not affect your insurance rates.
The only time mine went up was after an accident claim against me.
I rear-ended a guy who stopped quickly. -- I lost my "good driver" rate.
Usually it's a claim or a DL suspension (points, DUI, unpaid tickets) that does it.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here in Florida, you have 3 options:
-- Just Pay the Ticket (take the points).
-- Elect Driving School (can be online) for a Withhold (no points), but still pay a fine.
-- Contest the Ticket and ask for a Hearing.

I've had experience with all three.
-- From multiple speeding tickets in Waldo, Florida...(my car's fault).

Typically, you make your choice known by checking a box on the ticket and mailing it in.
Some Clerk's are set up for you to do this online. Look for a web address on the ticket.

One or even a few speeding tickets should not affect your insurance rates.
Usually its an accident or a DL suspension (points, a DUI or unpaid tickets).

This sounds about right.
You can also look at the California Idaho driver compact.
This is what gets a dui from Idaho onto your cali licence. Often unless the state's ajoin speeding is not transfered.
Ny and Quebec have one for speeding for example.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the reluctance of many to just pick up the phone and call. Maybe they will tell you that you must respond in writing. Maybe not. All I know is that I have had a lot of success in my life talking to people.

George

I don't disagree that calling is very valuable in almost all instances. In this one, there are frequently exceptions. Disputing a ticket by way of a telephone call does not protect vital deadlines. It certainly is worthwhile to call to get information, I just don't want anyone waiving their legal rights by failing to act in a timely manner.

elaine

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Pay the ticket. He was speeding and gambled he wouldn't get caught. He lost that bet so pay up and accept the consequences.
Nobody forced him to speed. I have a lead foot and have gotten a few tickets. Typically, they will stay on your record for 3 years and might impact a future rate hike. At that point, you are reminded to pay better attention when driving, especially in unfamiliar areas. If you want to avoid paying fines and having your insurance rates go up, then obey the traffic laws. Otherwise, take your chances and if caught, no whining.

One of my least favorite things about today's culture is this idea that nothing is anybody's fault. Step up, take the consequences and move on.

Off of my soapbox.

Sue

JPD

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here in NC, you can talk to the D.A. or some times the clerk and ask for a Prayer for Judgement. If you have a good driving record it should not be a problem. They knock down the speed enough so it won't go on your insurance. You will still pay the fines.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't important that you couldn't sense the speed, but that DH was looking at the numbers on the speedometer, and knew he was 'pushing the envelope'. More importantly though, 90 mph is too fast to drive an unfamiliar rental car full of loved ones. WTF was he thinking?

(Soapbox mode OFF)

Jim

Yeah but, they got to the destination 10 minutes earlier! :D

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It used to be in California that three was the magic number. Nothing "bad" happened to you until you had three moving violations on your record.

I agree that if it was a speeding ticket, unless you can absolutely prove you were not speeding (and that is very hard to do) that you just pay up.

I've only contested one moving violation, it wasn't for speeding. I went to court and lost because the officer showed up. When that happens 99.99999% of the time the officer's testimony is taken over that of the defendant. However attending traffic court was very entertaining. :D

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not how long the trip takes, it's how much you enjoy the journey. :)
I seem to get a ticket maybe every 3-4 years on average. I've had the same insurance forever. It's never been a problem. However, the actual speed listed on the ticket can make a difference. 10 or under doesn't seem to be a big deal while 20 or over can get serious. Having the same insurance long-term can also make a difference. Too many unknown variables to give an answer from my experience and I haven't lived in either state for some time. Good luck though.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah but, they got to the destination 10 minutes earlier! :D

Nope. It took the cop 20 minutes to run the license and write the ticket. They got to the destination 10 minutes later than if they'd driven the speed limit.

uop1497

Reaction score
Thanks everyone again for valuable advice

DH is not a careless driver and we had plenty of time before our fly home. This is the seconds time he got a speeding ticket . The first ticket he received was over 20 years ago .Anyway, what done is done , therefore I have not said anything more regarding his speeding ticket.

We will paid the ticket fee . I just hope there is a way to keep the point not showing in his driving record . However, if no way to do so, we just have to accept that . From what I have learned so far, it will take 3 years to clear the point from his record .

If anyone has new suggestion, please continue to post it here. Thank you.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's possible that one ticket- out of state, to boot, over a 20 year span of time may not affect your insurance rates. If you have had the same insurance carrier for some time, they might be more lenient. After DH calls the court to ask about how to keep the points from showing on the CA DMV report, or possibly pleading to a reduced speed(6-7 mph over the limit is better than 10 over), then, armed with that information he should talk to your insurance agent- not just some clerk who doesn't know him. Asking for leniency, and promising to be more careful goes a long way.

Anyway, were you able to get into either park and see some wildlife?

Jim

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope. It took the cop 20 minutes to run the license and write the ticket. They got to the destination 10 minutes later than if they'd driven the speed limit.
I always tell the cop to hurry.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Can you share what the fine was? In California, it would be about $245. The court fee for traffic school is $52 to 75 depending on the county. And there are online traffic schools for under $30... much cheaper than before the Internet.

There is a traffic school option which probably won't cut costs but might be helpful. You always need to remember that you might get another ticket next year.

You can Google "fight Idaho traffic ticket" for more ideas. Plenty of folks willing to help you out!

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Thanks everyone who helps organize and give wonderful advices for our recent trip. I will talk more about that later.

DH got a speeding ticket in Idaho during our recent trip :( . We lives in California and I would like to know the way to prevent this ticket not show up in his driving record. What is the best way to do so that this ticket will not affect our car insurance fee . I do not like to see our car insurance fee goes up. We insure our cars with Mercury company.

Would it possible to take traffic school on line or so . If you know the way, please share. Thank you
I've heard from others that traffic school for motor vehicle violations in Nevada are done online now:

http://www.nevadaonlinetrafficschool.com/

So, in searching (Google) for the same in Idaho, I saw the following links:

https://ntsi.com/idaho/

http://www.itd.idaho.gov/dmv/driverservices/DefensiveDriving.htm

I hope this helps. :D

Note: Unlike other comments, it's not for me to judge or be sarcastic, but to be friendly, helpful, and answer your questions. Have a great day :D

Last edited:

Larry

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

I am not sure how things work in California since I live in NY. I have not gotten any kind of ticket in more than 10 years so things may have changed today with everything being recorded on computers. However unless things have changed when I did get tickets outside of NY ( Connecticut and NJ) I paid the tickets and nothing was ever recorded on my NY license nor was anything ever sent to my insurance company for out of state tickets.:crash::ponder:

uop1497

Reaction score
Thanks for more inputs regarding DH speeding ticket.

The fee is $90 . I am not sure if we need to pay additional fee like (processing, document ect.).

Although a few incidents happened in this trip, I think this is one of the best family vacation for us. We were able to see several Geyser Basin in two days before west entrance was closed. My two sons saw bison, bear, wolf, rabbit, elk. At one time, we stopped the car because bison crossing the road. Somehow, one bison walked across in front of our car and another bison stood on the road in the back of our car.

We asked for room in second floor at ISLAND PARK VILLAGE RESORT and got unit #75

We were lucky because the weather was not that bad. There was a light snow and rain for a few day during our trip. However, we were able to drive to Jackson hole. Grand teton park was closed but the mountain scenery around the town is very beautiful. Probably when we come back to visit Yellowstone park again, we will book our hotel stay in Jackson hole area .

Again, I would like to thank everyone who gave me good advice to make this trip successful .