• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renter - looking to plan for 2016

Tayzalor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello :hi:

Apologies in advance for the length of this post. Also, please move it if it's not the right place.

New TUG member here. I am happy to have found this forum! I am not a timeshare owner but it is a future possibility. Regardless of what we eventually decide, we have a few years of rental ahead of us. I have taken a couple TS rental vacations over the years - a long weekend getaway here and there, girls trip, our honeymoon (Aruba) and we just got back from a Disney vacation in Orlando where we stayed for several nights at Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

I recently started researching for a spring break 2016 vacation. We want to start making a priority for spring break vacations but at the same time want to be budget savvy. That's how I found TUG. After making my way through sticky threads and conducting a few searches I still have some questions.

A few main questions as we begin our search:

1. Where should we go? We are in MN.

Desires:

- WARMTH and SUN!
-Direct nonstop airplane flight from Minneapolis
-Beach - not necessarily ON the beach, but nearby enough to make a few visits
-Pool. Splash pad and/or waterslide is a plus
-Resort activities - Wyndham Bonnet Creek seemed to have a busy activity calendar that we were not able to make use of since we spent our days at the parks
- family friendly
Florida? Where? I'd love somewhere on the Gulf Coast. The kids want to see dolphins. We are not opposed to Orlando, or Bonnet Creek again either but perhaps getting the perspective of a different "brand" would be good.

Mexico? DH and I have passports but would need to get them for the kids.

We are limited to the school year calendar. I work in education and the kids (girls, 8 and 6) are on a traditional year calendar. I believe that spring break for us next year is week 13.

2. How far in advance should I start looking for a rental? Should I post a "wanted" ad here on TUG, or is there a good time of year to start scouting the ads?

3. How much is reasonable to budget? We liked the level of accommodations at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. DH loved the level of service when we were onsite at Disney (Wilderness Lodge) but I'm not sure about staying at Disney if we don't plan on going to the parks.

We paid $700 for a 2br for the week and rented about 5 months in advance. That was a comfortable amount. I'd like to stay under $1000 for a week if possible. Not sure how that plays out in different areas.

4. Are there any places that you can get away with not renting a car? If so, that would be more $ we could plug into resort rental.

I'm sure there are more questions I can come up with. Thanks for any advice.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hi and welcome to TUG!

One thing jumps out at me: $700 for a 2 bdm. at a prime resort, during school holidays is a bargain basement price - probably well below the owner's cost.

If you got a Disney Resort for that, you did very well, and got lucky.

In general, I'd expect to spend more for a prime week during Spring Break - that is a very high demand week.

We have an extensive TS Ratings and Review Section, and if you join TUG, you will be able to access it. That's a good place to start your research.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Take a cruise. You all can still fit into 1 cabin and in 2 or 3 years, that will not be too enjoyable ... and 2 cabins would cost too much.

Tayzalor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to TUG!

One thing jumps out at me: $700 for a 2 bdm. at a prime resort, during school holidays is a bargain basement price - probably well below the owner's cost.

If you got a Disney Resort for that, you did very well, and got lucky.

In general, I'd expect to spend more for a prime week during Spring Break - that is a very high demand week.

We have an extensive TS Ratings and Review Section, and if you join TUG, you will be able to access it. That's a good place to start your research.

Thanks Denise :)

Sorry to be unclear - the amount I quoted was for WBC, which I suspect was still a very good deal. We had a few additional nights onsite at Disney to bridge the gap between our arrival flight and resort check in. It was a splurge, and I have no illusions that we would get that deal staying the entire time onsite at Disney :) I'll be joining TUG tonight to do more research for sure!

vacationhopeful - a cruise is a possiblity, but DH is a hard sell on that one. He is anti-cruise and wants to be on land. I flip flop between wanting to cruise and not :) Thanks!

Last edited: