• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New to Timesharing and looking for direction

michjoh13

Reaction score
Hello,
My family recently visited the new Hyatt Ka'anapali beach Residence Club property on one of their 5 night promotions. It was beautiful and my wife was ready to buy during our timeshare presentation. Fortunately I stalled long enough to get out of the sales room and visit your site to read more about it. We ended up not purchasing.
With that being said, as a family of 2 adults and 3 children, we do like the condo style resort. But I want to look into making a more educated decision on if and when to purchase a timeshare. We have stayed at other timeshare resorts with my in-laws who used Getaways or Exchanges so I am familiar with some of the process. But as I started reading through some of the introduction documents here it got overwhelming quickly. I figured I would post our scenario to look for more guidance on what to focus my research on. Some of my issues/concerns are
1. What brands to focus on for our needs? (SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, etc.)
2. We want to get something we could exchange about half of the time. The more I read and hear about "trading power" the more confusing it seems.
3. Is it even realistic to think we could exchange effectively being mostly tied to a school schedule? What factors will make that more likely to be possible?
I saw this questionnaire to help give background so hopefully that gives some background on our scenario.

1) Where do you want your home resort to be? Not picky but somewhere warm most likely. Florida, Arizona, So. California, etc.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time? Probably trade half of the time or more.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations? Caribbean, Florida, Arizona, California, Colorado

4) How many people do you usually travel with? 5. 2 adults and 3 children who are in or just starting school

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? school schedule

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? 3-4

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? $25K+ if it is a good value

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $2500+. Can afford is not really an issue. Getting value for that money is my concern.

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? YES

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? Yes

Thank you for the assistance and if anyone has questions on the offer from the Hyatt in Ka'anapali I would be happy to share that. Our offer looked very similar to what others had posted.

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Family Vacations

It sounds to me like you would do really well with a 2-bedroom Marriott. They are always family friendly with lots of activities and very spacious. We love our 2 bedroom at Desert Springs I near Palm Springs, CA. We have owned for over 20 years and have had good luck in getting some beautiful trades with other Marriotts. You should check out resales in Tug or other timeshare websites. The maintenance fees will probably be about 1100 - 1600 a year, depending on where you buy. Currently there is a Riverside County Treasurer-Tax Collection on-line auction, but I am not too familiar with how those auctions work. The website is www.Bid4Assets.com/Riverside, then search the real estate section for timeshares. I got a letter to register, then the auction will be from May28, 2015 - June 1, 2015. They list Palm Desert Marriotts from $1462.00 to a little over $3000.00 (way better than the developer prices).
Good luck in your search and may you have many years of great vacations!

Oops - I need to edit this. The website that actually shows the list of Marriotts is www.countytreasurer.org under the Tax collector tab at the top of the website-go to Tax Sale information - then to Upcoming Sales & information - secured. These timeshares will not show on the Bid4Assets website until they go on auction in May.
Sorry for having to make this correction - I was too quick to reply the first time.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG! looks like you have alot to read and digest but you found us first and can save a fortune buying resale!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Might want to look at Shell Vacation Club ... nice units in MOST of the locations you mentioned. Plus, it current trades with II (too fast in the typing about RCI with Shell .. sorry). A points system, but you most likely should pick up points ONLY in one club (either California or AZ) for your priority booking window.

I have the California but have booked the last several years in AZ ... nice Hawaii units also.

The 2nd possible system, would be Wyndham due to FL locations ... and SOME California and other West Coast ... not as upscale, only RCI trading.

Shell was brought by the Corporate Wyndham group - but it appears to being run separately for now. Worldmark as been a separate entity for many more years under Wyndham.

But stuff can CHANGE ... with little notice.

Last edited:

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timeshares are great if you use them and any other option is just the backup plan. I always say that buyers should spend a week at any resort they think they would like to own. You will learn more about that resort before making a decision to buy and probably over pay for. This is the reason the resorts try and get you early in your stay.:ponder:

I have always said people should buy where they would go every year and exchanging/renting backup option only. Another poster stated your MF would range from $1100-$1600 a year so if this works for you then you would be happy. Just remember couple trips there and you might be ready for exchanging to other places so buying into a good resort and location good for exchanging.

Remember that going to Hawaii gets expensive for a family and long travel time. If you are the type family that gets bored going same place buying might not be a good idea for you. If this is the case remember when you buy your spending money every year on it weather you go or not. If this is the case for your family renting might be better and cheaper choice than spending $1100-$$1600 a year and that number will go up. Look at the the money every year and if you would only go on vacation every two or three years then renting might work better for you.:ponder:

The choice you make now will last for a long time and a lot of money so think about what works for your family and then if you buy you won't be one of these people coming on these sites whining about buying a timeshare.

PHILL12

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remember that going to Hawaii gets expensive for a family and long travel time.

It is not just Hawaii that can get expensive. If I were doing it again from scratch, I would only buy at a Resort that you think you would use at least 4 years out of 5. In addition it would have to be one day (or less) driving time from home. Judging air fares and air travel safety issues into the future is just too big a risk.

George

Phill12

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is not just Hawaii that can get expensive. If I were doing it again from scratch, I would only buy at a Resort that you think you would use at least 4 years out of 5. In addition it would have to be one day (or less) driving time from home. Judging air fares and air travel safety issues into the future is just too big a risk.

George

I agree and this is why we were owners of The Ridge Tahoe for about 22 of the last 32 years. We left timesharing for close to ten years then return and bought again at the Ridge in Lake Tahoe. It was only about 3 1/2 hours from our home and we loved the area and I have been going to the Lake Tahoe area for more than 50 years. We found we could trade to go any place we wanted with II but choose most years to go to our resort. Gas and air prices didn't have anything to do with our choice.
When younger we took our daughter paying air and car rentals to Hawaii three times and Orlando three times plus Cancun,Colorado twice.:banana:

We almost bought at Disney and two resorts in Hawaii but decided it just wasn't worth all the fee's when we could just exchange when we wanted for just that one year. Our first timeshare was in PV Mexico {Los Tules} and we spent money and time taking friends with us to our three bedroom unit. Large beautiful unit and resort but little trade power so we sold back in the eighties and bought the Ridge and never regretted it.

PHILL12:whoopie:

kelm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Might want to look at Shell Vacation Club ... nice units in MOST of the locations you mentioned. Plus, it current trades with BOTH II and RCI.

But stuff can CHANGE ... with little notice.

How does it trade with both? I thought it only trades through II.

persia

Reaction score
With kids and in Chicago you might want to consider Wyndham. They have a huge waterpark in Wisconsin Dells. It's heavily booked so you need ARP privileges if you are intersted in summer. As long as you buy Wyndham Club Access points you should be able to book it 13 months in advance.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How does it trade with both? I thought it only trades through II.

I have California Club (points) and it only trades in II. There are some weeks owners who can still trade in RCI.

michjoh13, I think you should research Marriott based on the locations of where you want to stay and your budget. You will have to pay $89./year for membership in II and then pay an exchange fee when you exchange your week, but it is worth it. You will have priority booking for other Marriotts and I believe there are Marriotts in every location you posted. Choose your home resort based on where you would visit the most often.

Situations change and life always throws curve balls that you never anticipate. If you have a close enough location that you can drive to, you will still be able to use it.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a Starwood Mandatory 2BR L/O resale like WKV since it is within your price and MF range, and Starwood has very nice resorts in all the places your listed. And you can split your unit and go 2 vacations or more depending on the season. I live in Chicago and have 3 kids as well and a 1BR is sufficient. You can also take shorter or longer vacations as well as check in/out any day of the week (with exceptions). And it is possible to stay at SPG hotels by buying another unit from Starwood.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree with your recommendation. Westin has resorts in Palm Desert, Scottsdale, St. John, Hawaii, and Colorado. Have been very pleased with our WKV 2BR plat. purchase.

I would recommend a Starwood Mandatory 2BR L/O resale like WKV since it is within your price and MF range, and Starwood has very nice resorts in all the places your listed. And you can split your unit and go 2 vacations or more depending on the season. I live in Chicago and have 3 kids as well and a 1BR is sufficient. You can also take shorter or longer vacations as well as check in/out any day of the week (with exceptions). And it is possible to stay at SPG hotels by buying another unit from Starwood.

michjoh13

Reaction score
Thank you for the information

Thank you to everyone for the replies. I will look into Marriott and some of the other suggestions.

Thanks again!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Based on what you answered - I agree with others - consider WKV 2Bd LO Plat (148.1K StarOptions), or even a WKV 1Bd Prem Plat (81K SOs). And be prepared to use SVN exchange at exactly 8 months in advance. Plus, it is a great resort on it's own - and Spring Training (Cubs play in Mesa AZ) in Plat season.
I know little about Marriott - but many seem to like it (when properly purchased).