• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney's Polynesian Villas & Bungalows

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was an incredible explanation.
Thanks! I'm glad my 15 years of teaching statistics to bored college freshmen has given me some useful skills! :)

If Developer Dave only uses his points in the 11-7 month timeframe, and only at the Poly, then would your description change? Isn't the use of his timeshare, like the Plat Plus weeks for Marrriott's Ko Olina resort (for example) more valuable if used for that express reason? Doesn't the way Dave uses his membership mean it is more valuable to him? No matter the time value of money?
Well, I said that I was only taking into consideration the time value of money, not home resort priority. Getting that home resort priority booking window is important to some buyers. Let's say Developer Dave really doesn't care about whether he can use his DVC during the years 2055-2065. (Maybe he doesn't have any kids, and expects to be in a nursing home by then.) He loves the Polynesian Resort, and he wants to make sure he has "first crack" at the reservations there. Then, the question is whether priority access to the Polynesian Villas is worth paying an extra $85-or-so per point. Only Dave can answer that question for himself, but if he's going to pay that much for a timeshare, I hope he has deep pockets. $160 per point works out to $230,240 to buy enough points to book Christmas week in a 2-bedroom Polynesian Villas bungalow. (At that doesn't even give him a promise that Christmas week will be available. Disney points float 52 weeks of the year, so he'll be competing with all the other Polynesian Villas owners for desirable times.)

Right now, Disney developer prices seem to be the highest in the entire timeshare industry. That is really saying something. I love my DVC points, but I bought then at about $67 a point, not $160 a point.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about the math above.
What if Dave buys at the Poly, keeps it a few years, then rents it out because he had a total knee replacement and he can't walk fast at WDW. But back in 2011 he had purchased some Disney stock at about $40 per share and sold today at over $103 which made him a bundle. Nevertheless, because of his tax bracket he loses some of the profit which he made up by participating in an entertainment sector hedge fund. By the way, did I tell you Dave's wife sought a divorce from Dave earlier because of his bad investments in Nokia? She really rolled him.
Nevertheless, Reginald made out okay at SSR. He vacations there occasionally and usually keeps up with his MF's especially since his new partner in life Duane got a new job with CISCO. After Reg retires he expects his 401(k) to help him maintain his ownership in case he finds himself single again. 2054 is a long way off. By that time Aunt Betty will croak and leave him the rents on her condo in Boca.
LOL, that was funny!

But, I actually think you are making a good argument why timeshare purchasers should mostly consider the next 10 or so years when buying a timeshare, and mostly ignore what happens decades from now. All DVC contracts have at least 27 years left, and some have as many as 50. But a lot can happen in the next few decades. Maybe by 2065 Florida will have seceded from the U.S. and most of us won't be able to get a visa to visit there. Or it will all be below sea level. Or maybe the Disney company will have built a newer, better resort -- on the moon.

Admittedly, all of those are unlikely. But there are many things that are quite realistic that could lower the value of Disney timeshares within 50 years. Air travel could get more expensive or dangerous, or there could be a major economic downturn. Disney might hire a really incompetent CEO who turns WDW into mediocre theme parks like Disney's California Adventure. (I guess California Adventure has improved lately, but it was pretty bad the one time I went there. There were almost no rides that an entire family could enjoy together. That was the whole point of Disneyland in the first place!) And of course, Disney could decide to jack up MFs a lot.

DVC timeshares are already very nice, so there isn't a lot of room for improvement. But, there are plenty of things that could go wrong in the next 50 years. So, DVC ownerships will probably be less desirable in a few decades than they are now.

All of these are reasons why the right to use a DVC timeshare in 2065 should be valued at a lot less than the the right to use a DVC timeshare today.

This is just a way of saying that life sometimes gets in the way of math. We make decisions, some good, some bad. And usually not because of them pesky numbers. We bought DVC in 1993 and several contracts since. I've used it a lot, rented some, but never regretted it, especially the $57/ point initial buy. We're happy.
If people don't want to analyze the financial costs of buying a timeshare, they don't have to. If someone wants a sports car and doesn't want to consider how much more it costs than an economy car, that's fine, too. So, if someone loves the Polynesian resort and wants to own there instead of another DVC resort and can afford it, then buying there might be a great decision for them. But TUG is supposed to be an information source for timeshare consumers. We should be accurate and thorough when we do financial analyses here.

A final thought. (And then hopefully I will be done with this thread. I'm sure if I am, many people will be relieved!) In the past, Disney was different from other timeshares. DVC spent relatively little on marketing, and had resale prices that were close to developer prices. There were sometimes even situations where existing owners could buy small points packages directly from Disney for less than the cost of buying resale. (I tried to buy a small Beach Club package directly from DVC, and so many other people were buying that I couldn't even get the salesman to return my calls!) I think the days of DVC resale prices being close to DVC developer prices are fast disappearing. Disney seems to be getting more and more like other timeshares in that they spend a lot on marketing and then pass that cost along to consumers. To try to convince buyers to purchase from them rather than resale, DVC also is following the trend of having perks that are available only if one purchases from the developer. (Fortunately, the specific developer perks offered by DVC are fairly worthless.) The spread between developer DVC prices and resale DVC prices keeps getting larger. DVC contracts purchased from the developer still retain their value far better than almost all other timeshares, but it is getting harder and harder to justify purchasing from Disney rather than resale.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Rfc0001, the way you are figuring annual cost is very different from how financial experts figure annual costs. Your analysis excludes the time value of money. In other words, your analysis assumes that $1 in a person's pocket today is worth the same as $1 (adjusted for inflation) in that person's pocket 50 years from now.

Financial experts agree that money in one's pocket today is more valuable than the same amount of money at some point in the future, even after adjusting for inflation. Even when inflation is very low (as it is now) billions of people worldwide are willing to pay interest (often very high interest) to borrow money. If there was no such thing as the time value of money, no one would be willing to pay interest on a loan.
I understand what you are saying. We don't disagree. Time value of money says the opportunity cost of spending that money on DVC is investing it at x%. So if you could earn 8% ROI on PVB, and 8% in the stock market, then it's a wash. We agree.

That said, I doubt most people buying DVC or any time share are going to put that 8% to work in the stock market if they didn't buy DVC. They'll probably go buy a car, or do something else with the money -- so that is their opportunity cost.

If you treat PVB as an investment, I agree it only returns 6% a year, which relative to any other investment, is a marginal one, at best. However, if you buy Poly to stay at Poly (which I did), it's real saving is over booking DVC direct, which if you are going to compare apples to apples, you have to do since the only way to ensure you can book what you want when you want at Poly is to book through Disney direct ($24/pt. after tax and typical 30% discount). At that annual value, Poly jumps up to 12% ROI (savings per year). Sure, SSR returns more if make the same assumptions, but SSR can only be used at 7 mos. to book other resorts, which at that point you could easily rent points for $13/pt. at which point your ROI on SSR is still only 12% -- a wash with Poly.

This is exactly what we do -- we own SSR resale to book most resorts. We own AUL resale to book AUL. We own PVB to book PVB. The value of those points is $13, $16, and $24 respectively (the cost we would have to pay to book the same accommodations). With those assumptions, DVC saves as around 12% annual ROI using a financial approach . Could I find an investment worth that much consistently for 40-50 years? Personally, no. FWIW, I don't own any stocks (including my 401K) -- I am extremely conservative -- I'm waiting for the next major market correction and will be pushing my 401K in as everyone else is pulling theirs out.

Even if I could find an investment that has a 12% ROI I still would prefer DVC since it provides me what I want when I want it (even more so that booking direct, which you can't control availability and discounts). You also get ancillary savings with DVC AP (annual pass renewal for the price of a ticket 7-day ticket), TiW, discounts, etc. It also gives me great flexibility in financially engineering the benefits and cash flow it provides. So, in my example, I can rent enough points to pay all my MFs (And the cost of those rented points) and the resulting points will cost me nothing in cash flow for several weeks of vacation). I know that just eat into my ROI since it's more ROI in terms of savings to book the points than to rent the points, but I don't care who you are, getting to stay 3 weeks a year in Disneyworld for free is pretty darn cool :cheer:

Here's how the time value of money works in this particular situation. Let's say a purchaser (call him Developer Dave) buys a 200-point Polynesian Villas contract from the developer (Disney) at $160 a point, which is $32,000 total. That Polynesian Villas contract will be good until 2065 (at least I think it's 2065.) Another purchaser (call him Resale Reginald), buys a 200-point Saratoga Springs contract resale at $75 a point, which is $15,000 total. That Saratoga Springs contract will be good until 2054.
Just to clarify, Poly's last UY is 2064 (Dec UY of 2064 runs through Dec, 2065; so all UYs will expire by Jan 2066); SSR's last UY is 2052. So, PVB has 51 years left (if you bought presale) and SSR has 39 if you buy resale this year.
Sure, Dave gets an extra 11 years on his contract compared to Reginald, but Dave doesn't get to start using those extra years until 2055. Yet, Dave has to come up with the extra $17,000 in purchase cost now. (Home resort booking priority also is important, plus Disney offers a few developer-only 'privileges' that are generally a poor value. But here, I'm focusing only on the time value of money.)
To provide a counter point, The majority of the price you pay is in MFs, which are paid as you go. The difference in upfront purchase price per point is small from $1.70 for OKW in 1991 to $3 now for Poly. You're just buying more points up front. So that 12% ROI (and benefit of vacation stays) is lasting you 12 years longer with PVB than SSR -- do you want/need 12 more year? That's an individual choice. If you don't want/need it, then SSR is your man.
You and I agree that when valuing different DVC contracts, people should take into consideration all the factors, such as differing annual fees between different DVC resorts, and also the amount of years left on the right-to-use. Where we disagree is that I am also considering the time value of money, whereas you insist that the time value of money doesn't exist.
You misunderstand my perspective, or perhaps I was making a different point unrelated to this; however, I agree, nonetheless.
You are entitled to value your DVC ownership anyway you want, but for other people who come to this board, especially those new to timeshare, it's important to point out all the costs of timeshare ownership. This includes the fact that coming up with thousands of dollars today is harder than coming up with thousands of dollars over a period of decades.
Agree people should run the numbers and analyze the benefits and costs (and alternatives) for them. Clearly, when it comes to timeshares and Disney, people do not. I don't want to add fire to that flame. There are plenty of people who default on 9.99% mortgages with DVC (the new member rate). That said, I consider the folks at TUG a little more sophisticated (or if they are new, they soon will be) and therefore able to understand the long game on extremely expensive timeshares like DVC, which still can make sense if you understand what you are getting for what you bought.
8.99%??!!!!???? :eek::eek: is this true??? That is a crazy percentage for an interest rate!!! Yes, I live in Canada, but my home owner line of credit is 3.35%. How can people afford 8.99%???
Yes! Keep in mind, it's not recommended -- if you are earning 12% ROI (best case -- compared to booking Poly direct) and paying 10% interest, clearly you aren't coming out ahead. Not that what I say has any bearing on what someone buying DVC direct thinks or does, but for the record, I do not recommend anyone use 10% financing to buy DVC. For short term financing to transfer to a 3% (after tax credit) HELOC, or pay off -- maybe.

Last edited:

mtm65

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Renting points?

Thanks Cdn Grl, JudyS and rfc! I appreciate your discussion. We are new owners at HGVC (new to TS ownership) and are now considering a DVC purchase. We are planning 3 visits over the next 10 years. At least two of the visits will be family of approximately 10 people during the visit.

DVC is attractive because we can book the correct size (3 BD) at the property we want, when we want to go. Which I don't think is likely using our HGVC points through RCI.

What I am struggling to fully grasp are the rental opportunities. My thoughts are to buy a contract to cover the points for a 3 BD and rent any excess or unused points when we don't need the points. Does this make sense?

Or am I better to buy a smaller contract and roll/borrow points into specific year for the 3 BD use just that specific year?

I'm leaning towards renting the points to others through David's service when we aren't going to use them. What are the drawbacks to renting points to others? It looks like I could easily cover my annual maintenance fees, is this correct?

Thanks,

M2

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning 3 visits over the next 10 years. At least two of the visits will be family of approximately 10 people during the visit.
3 visits over the next 10 years? If this were me, I wouldn't buy, I would RENT. If you rent from an owner at 11 months, you can get a 3 BR.

Obviously, the downside to this is that you are making a commitment for the family of 10 that far out, but even if it is your points, you'd need to book at your home resort window to guarantee a 3BR. They might be gone by 7 months, depending on season.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Cdn Grl, JudyS and rfc! I appreciate your discussion. We are new owners at HGVC (new to TS ownership) and are now considering a DVC purchase. We are planning 3 visits over the next 10 years. At least two of the visits will be family of approximately 10 people during the visit.

DVC is attractive because we can book the correct size (3 BD) at the property we want, when we want to go. Which I don't think is likely using our HGVC points through RCI.

What I am struggling to fully grasp are the rental opportunities. My thoughts are to buy a contract to cover the points for a 3 BD and rent any excess or unused points when we don't need the points. Does this make sense?

Or am I better to buy a smaller contract and roll/borrow points into specific year for the 3 BD use just that specific year?

I'm leaning towards renting the points to others through David's service when we aren't going to use them. What are the drawbacks to renting points to others? It looks like I could easily cover my annual maintenance fees, is this correct?

Thanks,

M2
Congrats on your HGVC purchase!

I would buy 1/3 of what you need (see WDW Points Chart for comparative points/room descriptions), then bank previous year and borrow next year to get one weeks worth of points. You can do this every 3 years, which fits your 3X in 10 year requirement. Now is not the time to buy excess points IMO -- the resale market is at it's high, and like I say resale is still your best value, so I would not buy Poly (esp. if you don't plan to stay there -- which with a 3 bdrm. you won't be able to). I'd wait until the economy goes down and buy cheap (e.g. I bought SSR <$60 2 years ago). You can always, always rent, which still saves you at least half over direct booking and requires no up front investment - always a good choice, and stalk the resales board in the mean time -- which is good fun!

BTW, discussing this topic more broadly, I recognize looking at DVC just from a cost/value perspective is a pretty narrow view, and looking at it from a ROI perspective is arguably the better way to look at such large purchases. There are still a lot of variables that are going to vary from person to person, like what their savings is relative to (do you currently rent points from brokers, distressed points from member, home-resort points from members @ 7-11 mos.), and resale costs vary by resort/contract, and financing assumptions obviously vary. Just make sure you calculate all that before buying. If it's a wash, it's probably not worth the added financial risk in owning for the flexibility of booking. If it's a savings, you'll have to assess your own opportunity costs (if any) and decide the benefits of owning DVC are worth that investment. There's no one size fits all mathematical equation for this, and I'll leave it at that (although it's fun to debate :ignore:).

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
There is something to be said for having control over your own reservations.
IMO renting from anyone makes that much riskier.

The great points deal on red week could go bust and leave you high and dry.
What if they don't pay their MF's and fall behind on their payments and Disney cancels all their reservations, so many things can go wrong.

Maybe I'm just a control freak but I'd much rather make my own reservations, risk my own money and maybe be able to sell in the future for something.
But if I never get any money back because this is a RTU then so be it.

In the meantime I can't put a price on the peace about what for many is a very expensive vacation anyway. Disney vacations are a big $ commitment.
I still love playing the RCI game and will probably continue for the larger rooms since I don't own many DVC points, but for the way I vacation, lots of last minute spur of
the moment trips and usually studios and 1 bedrooms, DVC is a great ownership.

I have no doubt Poly will be difficult to book in early December which is one of my favorite times to be in Disney. In the end, I just feel that I am worth the "investment".
Obviously not everyone values themselves the same or just maybe I've just been sprinkled with too much pixie dust. :hysterical:

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is something to be said for having control over your own reservations.
IMO renting from anyone makes that much riskier.
This is true, and why most people buy timeshares. It's not an investment. It's a convenience to book where you want when you want. It's also a way to control cash flow -- spend more up front and spend less later (in DVCs' case $0 later if you rent half your points)
I have no doubt Poly will be difficult to book in early December which is one of my favorite times to be in Disney. In the end, I just feel that I am worth the "investment".
I agree. We are booking Poly week before Christmas -- couldn't stay at MK resort otherwise. We're spending less points as well since we can fit in a Poly Studio vs. 1bdrm @ another resort. See you there! I'll buy you a Dole Whip :D
Obviously not everyone values themselves the same or just maybe I've just been sprinkled with too much pixie dust. :hysterical:
One can never have too much Pixie dust :p

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
We are booking Poly week before Christmas -- couldn't stay at MK resort otherwise. We're spending less points as well since we can fit in a Poly Studio vs. 1bdrm @ another resort. See you there! I'll buy you a Dole Whip :D

I'm taking you up on that Dole Whip! :)
But I want mine sprinkled with pixie dust.

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone reserve a Poly Villa or Bungalow yet?

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
I'm very late to this party. But I just wanted to clarify something's on DVC. I own 3 DVC resorts and 3 non DVC resorts that have the highest standings in both II and RCI. I also bought 3 of my DVC resorts towards the tail end of the great recession. I say all that because, so much of what is spoken about investing in the stock market is truly hindsight. The reason I chose DVC is because it wasn't the stock market and I needed a hedge against stocks. In addition, DVC is one of the few timeshares I could purchase and rent to someone for 2 to 3x's what I pay in yearly Maint fees. Someone mentioned renting via David's at $13 a point. That is childs play (i.e. if you want quick money). I can easily rent days during week 51 or 52 on redweek for $16 to $17 a point. WDW resort is at its highest capacity and people don't want to pay the $24 pp cash rate, so I am still providing great savings. Also, DVC is fully booked. So finding an owner to rent for this specific timeframe is slim to none once Sept rolls around. During the months of October and November, I had 20+ inquiries about my BLT studio that I ended up renting for $16 pp.

Now, I am a BLT owner, but these points were booked using my HHI points that I bought for $44 pp. I can easily sell for mid 50s these days after commission. Not counting my initial $6600 buy in, that has since appreciated 25 percent (and i will fully recoup), I netted almost $1,500 pre tax on my $6,600 contract last year. For someone looking for income and not just cap appreciation, I would be hard pressed to find many investments that could do better.

Now, I know my timing was very fortunate, as HHI is currently selling in the 60's and is probably at its ceiling, but it's not a clear cut advantage to say investing in the stock market is guaranteed to be better for you. I think the DOW did about a 14 percent avg the past 5 years. I can gladly take my extra 6 percent and put it into what I enjoy ....... like more WDW tickets.

Personally, I sock away 25 percent of my income in my 401k and I'm at least 20 years from retirement. I just get tired of all the stock recommendations that you are always going to do better, it's just not always true.

Last edited:

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
I agree 100% with Brian's (BNoble's) analysis.

There's no requirement to analyze the finances of one's DVC purchase, but if one does, one should take all the factors into account. And when you do the full analysis, that $160 per point purchase price turns out to be way high. It's far more than 20% more than DVC used to cost, even after adjusting for inflation.

Also, buying DVC at $160 per point, renting it out, and getting a "100% return on investment" would require renting out each DVC point for about $165 ($160 purchase price plus $5 in annual dues.) It's hard to get even $15 a point when renting out DVC.

By the way, I was at Old Key West years back and started up a conversation with a passenger on the Disney bus. It turned out to be BNoble. And, we both live in Ann Arbor! It is a small world, after all.

Oh, and leave it up to the Wolverines to get overly tecky. ;) Just like that Buckeye offense, DVC is simple. You can make a nice yield by buying low resale and renting high during the most popular times of the year.

I couldn't resist a jab to a few Wolverines.....

Last tip, 80 percent of the Buckeye offensive plays consist of just 5 plays.
:hi:
:cheer:
:shrug:

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyone reserve a Poly Villa or Bungalow yet?
Yeah, it was wide open when it opened up for non-home reservations -- was able to swap out all my "home" reservations with non-home points as a result. Only thing booked up currently is Easter week and weekends in October (for Studio standard/Lake and Bungalows).
I'm very late to this party. But I just wanted to clarify something's on DVC. I own 3 DVC resorts and 3 non DVC resorts that have the highest standings in both II and RCI. I also bought 3 of my DVC resorts towards the tail end of the great recession. I say all that because, so much of what is spoken about investing in the stock market is truly hindsight. The reason I chose DVC is because it wasn't the stock market and I needed a hedge against stocks. In addition, DVC is one of the few timeshares I could purchase and rent to someone for 2 to 3x's what I pay in yearly Maint fees. Someone mentioned renting via David's at $13 a point. That is childs play (i.e. if you want quick money). I can easily rent days during week 51 or 52 on redweek for $16 to $17 a point. WDW resort is at its highest capacity and people don't want to pay the $24 pp cash rate, so I am still providing great savings. Also, DVC is fully booked. So finding an owner to rent for this specific timeframe is slim to none once Sept rolls around. During the months of October and November, I had 20+ inquiries about my BLT studio that I ended up renting for $16 pp.

Now, I am a BLT owner, but these points were booked using my HHI points that I bought for $44 pp. I can easily sell for mid 50s these days after commission. Not counting my initial $6600 buy in, that has since appreciated 25 percent (and i will fully recoup), I netted almost $1,500 pre tax on my $6,600 contract last year. For someone looking for income and not just cap appreciation, I would be hard pressed to find many investments that could do better.

Now, I know my timing was very fortunate, as HHI is currently selling in the 60's and is probably at its ceiling, but it's not a clear cut advantage to say investing in the stock market is guaranteed to be better for you. I think the DOW did about a 14 percent avg the past 5 years. I can gladly take my extra 6 percent and put it into what I enjoy ....... like more WDW tickets.

Personally, I sock away 25 percent of my income in my 401k and I'm at least 20 years from retirement. I just get tired of all the stock recommendations that you are always going to do better, it's just not always true.
I'm with you -- I'm up 20% on my DVC resale purchase even after sucking the benefit from them for nearly 3 years, and paying no MFs for the past 2 (after renting). Those two facts aside, a 12% average ROI for 38-50 years consistently shall never an stock return meet. Sure, I've made 100x that in 1 day in options trading, but lets see someone do that for 40-50 years consistently at any scale -- I think not -- and that's just considering it as an investment, let alone time to spend with family on vacation, which is it's real value. Haters gonna hate -- while I'm gonna go to Disney 3 times a year for nothing out of pocket other than what I paid up front (which I could recoup and then some if I sold) :ignore:

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
I see all the comparisons that people feel like they are guaranteed 10 to 12 percent yearly in the stock market. That's pushing returns to the outer limit IMHO. 6 to 8 percent should be more like it for anyone over 40. The older a person gets the more conservative you should become as an investor. So unless people are 28 and under, we should drop references to 12 percent avg stock returns.

The Dows 10 year avg is 7 percent and that's if you were all in with stocks.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see all the comparisons that people feel like they are guaranteed 10 to 12 percent yearly in the stock market. That's pushing returns to the outer limit IMHO. 6 to 8 percent should be more like it for anyone over 40. The older a person gets the more conservative you should become as an investor. So unless people are 28 and under, we should drop references to 12 percent avg stock returns.

The Dows 10 year avg is 7 percent and that's if you were all in with stocks.
Moxactly! This is the problem with NPV calculations -- you can always assume a higher opportunity cost to "prove" to yourself the ROI is 0% and pat yourself on the back for being so smart to not invest in DVC. I think this is double counting -- your ROI is your ROI. It's obvious that this is relative to other investments. So, if your ROI is 12%, it's implicitly relative to your other opportunities and up to the eye of the beholder to determine if 12% is good or bad. However, by discounting your R in ROI by 12% you are assuming 12% is what you would realistically get for that money if you hadn't invested it in DVC -- a fools errand as you point out since 12% risk free consistently for 38 years is a pipe dream, and that assumes you actually would have invested that money in that 12% investment (which I'm sure anyone who didn't buy DVC posting here did, right?). The other side of this equation is the R in ROI is extremely conservative if you are assuming Disney direct prices (which is where the R is derived) will simply be what they are today plus inflation. The reality is Disney direct rates have far exceeded inflation, so your R in ROI will be much higher than a straight inflation adjustment (which is where my 12% is based) would indicate. If I assumed the actually rate of increase of 2.5% above inflation my 12% becomes 14.5%, which no guaranteed return with low risk will get you consistently over 38 years -- not even close . However, then people bandying about time value of money would have to admit they aren't as smart as they think they are so that's not going to happen--it's much easier to simply make ad hominem arguments that everything I just said must be wrong, since I didn't take into consideration the time value of money.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was at work the other day, my backathanapkin calcs in excel couldnt produce a DVC return higher than 7%, assuming straight line depreciation of SSR point cost and rental rate of $11 per point in current $.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I was at work the other day, my backathanapkin calcs in excel couldnt produce a DVC return higher than 7%, assuming straight line depreciation of SSR point cost and rental rate of $11 per point in current $.
I'm using my actuals -- SSR purchased mid-$50s, and $13 rental rate. 12% is what I calculated -- assuming value (R) in terms of what it would cost to rent not what it cost to book direct (much higher ROI then). I'm also not assuming rental cost increases faster than MF costs, even though in reality, it should since DVC purchase cost has increased 2.5% per year above inflation, while MFs have only increased 1% per year above inflation -- making the return over time higher.

PVB direct or DVC resale (at current prices) is another story -- 6-8% sounds about right for both (again, not including assumption that rental rate will increase faster than MFs).

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
my backathanapkin calcs in excel couldnt produce a DVC return higher than 7%, assuming straight line depreciation of SSR point cost and rental rate of $11 per point in current $.
Given the current resale market, that's about right. It's been some years since one could get SSR in the mid-50s.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Ah the good years. A few years ago contracts with 2 years of free points were selling in the mid to low $40's. After renting out the 2 years of free points at $10 point you had all in costs of about $31 a point at ssr. This bought the price of points purchased to about 75 cents plus yearly maintenance fees. I only purchased contracts that cost under $1 a point over the life of the contract. Except for VGC which contracts were in the $80 range. I can only wish for the gold old days of resale dvc.

mtm65

TUG Member
Reaction score
If only!!

Ah the good years. A few years ago contracts with 2 years of free points were selling in the mid to low $40's. After renting out the 2 years of free points at $10 point you had all in costs of about $31 a point at ssr. This bought the price of points purchased to about 75 cents plus yearly maintenance fees. I only purchased contracts that cost under $1 a point over the life of the contract. Except for VGC which contracts were in the $80 range. I can only wish for the gold old days of resale dvc.

I really wish I knew about DVC a few years ago. It would have changed how we vacationed over the years :) Hoping that buying in now is not the wrong time to buy!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really wish I knew about DVC a few years ago. It would have changed how we vacationed over the years :) Hoping that buying in now is not the wrong time to buy!

If you're buying as an "investment" or hoping for price appreciation, now (and anytime) is certainly the wrong time to buy. If you're buying with contentment at the fully loaded average nightly cost that those points get you, then now's a great time to buy.

mtm65

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're buying as an "investment" or hoping for price appreciation, now (and anytime) is certainly the wrong time to buy. If you're buying with contentment at the fully loaded average nightly cost that those points get you, then now's a great time to buy.

Was hoping for both of course! I will settle for only getting "the contentment" that the points will get us.

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch

Agreed. That ship has sailed.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agreed. That ship has sailed.
Buy low sell high as the saying goes. That said, we are in another stock market bubble...wait 2-3 years, and we'll be in another recession (did I mention I'm entirely in cash?) :D