• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

King's Land purchase advice needed, currently have VIP

Reaction score
I'm new to all this and making my way through this vast amount of information.

We are a family of four: two boys (10 and 7).

Last summer we stayed at the Waikaloa Village Resort. Loved it. Very much our speed and we would return again. Went to the sales pitch for King's Land. Didn't buy, mostly because we didn't know what to expect and don't spend money like that without thinking time and research. We did purchase, however, the VIP package for about $1,500 for a seven night stay. Even if we have to sit through another pitch at King's Land and don't purchase, it will be a great vacation for the family and worth it.

But we are considering ownership at King's Land.

If we do buy we get our $1,500 credited back and also if we make the purchase before the trip we get that doubled ($3,000 value).

Here is a bit of our perspective on TSs and I would like your advice. Our family is only just now getting into vacationing out of state. Living in CA it doesn't require that much to get away to do something fun. We love the idea of an annual (maybe bi-annual) vacation to Hawaii. It's a pretty common thing to do from this area. The King's Land resort is exactly the type of place we would like to return to regularly. Orlando would be another return-type destination because of Disney World. The other ones would be interesting for maybe a one time visit. If we are going to spend money at all I want the assurance that at minimum I can spend my main annual vacation exactly where I want. Oh, and to add, because of school we are talking summer time.

So I do realize that I am talking Hawaii and prime summer time, and that this will come at a premium. I'll spend a certain amount of money to get what I am looking for. I'm less interested in getting a deal just to say I got a deal only if what I give up doesn't make it worth it.

What I haven't defined for myself is exactly the amount of money I want to spend for what. Devil's in the details kind of thing.

What should I expect and what should I be looking for in order to make this kind of vacation ownership happen: one week (EY or EOY, just depends), preferably 2 bedrooms, King's Land, summer time? The summer time could be moved to a Thanksgiving, Christmas, or Easter vacation time if it made a big financial difference. What should I be bargaining for if dealing directly with HGVC? Will it be worth dropping the 3K incentive I already have in order to look at resale? I'll be gathering all this info before I make the call to my trip advisor in September when I start booking the VIP trip and the sales pitches truly kick in again.

Thanks for the advice. This site is great.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You need to look at resale. Don't buy from Hilton! There, I said what needed to be said. :D Hilton corporate doesn't treat it's resale buyers any different than developer, as far as I know (having talked to many people). Look up Seth Nock with a Google search. He is a resale agent that can find you a great resale deal that will pass ROFR.

You need to buy the premium membership, certainly, to get summer in Hawaii. I don't care to go to Oahu ever in my life, but you can use Hilton Points to get to Kauai pretty easily. RCI has very little on Maui, and the quality of the Maui resorts in RCI is probably not up to Hilton standards. But the Kauai resorts are plentiful, with a lot of great choices.

Love the Hiltons in Orlando and stay there whenever we can through RCI exchange, but we are limited to how often we can trade into those resorts.

But other people who know Hilton better will chime in with more specific info.

By the way, I have heard of people buying Bay Club at Waikoloa and getting Hilton Points somehow, and that might be something you should consider. Or just use Bay Club as your main ownership and trade it when you want something elsewhere.

Reaction score
Perhaps one way for me to look at it is to determine how many points I need for the type of vacation I want, and then research and cost compare based on point costs.

Anyone know how many points I need for a Kings Land, 2 bedroom, platinum period? I'm talking June, March-April, or Thanksgiving week time periods.

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps one way for me to look at it is to determine how many points I need for the type of vacation I want, and then research and cost compare based on point costs.

Anyone know how many points I need for a Kings Land, 2 bedroom, platinum period? I'm talking June, March-April, or Thanksgiving week time periods.

What is a VIP in this context?

bm408

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Julie - the link to the member guide is in the sticky post - you can see the point requirements for EVERYTHING! :)

sjuhawk_jd

TUG Member
Reaction score
A VIP is an invitation to stay at a resort very cheaply, as long as you are willing to go to a sales presentation.

OK. So, I am going to be a "VIP" during my stay at the Hilton Club durnig the Labor Day weekend in NYC! Not bad :cheer:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score

For those time periods, you would need a Platinum week.

For a 2-br KingsLand Platinum:
2-br+: 12,600
2-br premiere: 14,400

Reaction score
Just called my trip advisor at Hilton (or whatever they call themselves) and he said 2 bedroom platinum at Kings Land was 10,500 points and 1 bedroom 7,200 points.

He did point out that you get more for your points by staying at the Waikaloa Resort. 2 bedroom for 7000 points platinum.

This is really very confusing. We stayed at the hotel, toured Kings Land, and really want to go with a condo because of the kitchen. I have no idea what this other Waikaloa Resort is like, so I'm googling around to check it out.

Did find some waikaloa platinum points up for resale with the agents that have been mentioned. A couple were selling 7000+ platinum points for around 12K. I'm comfortable with that. Just too unfamiliar with the other location right now.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just called my trip advisor at Hilton (or whatever they call themselves) and he said 2 bedroom platinum at Kings Land was 10,500 points and 1 bedroom 7,200 points.

He is correct. I was looking at a 2009 guide, and at that time they didn't list regular 2-br and regular 1-br units, only plus and premier units. He is correct on the number of points for regular units, but the plus and premier units are more.

Yes, when they built Kings Land (and also Grand Waikikian) they raised the number of points required for those resorts by 50%. So a 2-br Platinum at Waikoloa is 7000 points while at Kings Land it is 10,500. I'll be checking out Kings Land myself next month.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We stayed at the hotel, toured Kings Land, and really want to go with a condo because of the kitchen. I have no idea what this other Waikaloa Resort is like...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its older than Kingsland, but quite nice. All HGVC resorts are high quality.
There are minor variations, but nearly all HGVC resorts have similar amenities.
-- Units with one or more BR's have a full kitchen + dining area.
-- Studios (like large hotel RM's) have a kitchette (microwave, no stove).

You can find more details here: http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/vacation-resort-collection.php

Reaction score
Hi Julie - the link to the member guide is in the sticky post - you can see the point requirements for EVERYTHING! :)

Sorry, could you point out which sticky?
Thanks.

Also another option might be to buy 7000 or so points resale, plan on borrowing and go every other year to Hawaii and on the off year use the remaining points for something more mainland through RCI. Would that make sense?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
My opinion (for what it's worth) would be for you to contact someone like Judi or Seth who specialize in HGVC resales. We personally worked with Judi Kozlowski ( Judi@judikoz.com ) and consulted with her on what our needs and expectations were. She then made suggestions as to what / where / and how many points to buy. She made the whole process pretty painless and is extremely knowledgeable on the HGVC system. Her contact info is as follows:

Judi Kozlowski P.A.
Accredited Buyer Representative
RE/MAX Properties SW, Inc.
E-Mail: Judi@judikoz.com
www.timeshareprofessionals.com
Orlando, Florida 32819
Direct Line (407)-909-9037
Toll Free 800-541-5666 Ext.622

Cell (407)-921-0000

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at the HGVC Waikoloa timeshare. It was wonderful we were able to get a 2bdr for 7000 points. This is on the first floor. Having a kitchen and laundry in the unit is a giant plus when staying in Hawaii. A 2bdr plus is either 2nd or third floor with a different view for 8400 points and the 2Bdr is also 2nd or 3rd floor. I'm not sure what the view is from the plus.

We only travel at peak times and have been to hawaii 4 times with the kids during prime seasons. We go every other year. I'm a planner and have always been able to get a 2bdr either in Oahu or on the Big Island each time. We own in Vegas because it has cheaper fees.

IMHO if you are looking for peace of mind and the ability to book 12 months in advance then buy resale at the resort that interests you the most.