• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI's Right to Dispose of Intervals at will

wilmark

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to discuss this clause -23 from the "RCI Points Disclosure Guide"

It says:

23. RIGHTS OF NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR. The
Network Administrator may waive or modify the
application of any requirement, including Transaction
fees, otherwise existing in the Network Documents.
When a Member uses his/her RCI Points to make a
Reservation of Partner Inventory, those RCI Points are
assigned to the Network Administrator for its use in
promoting and operating the Network. The Network
Administrator may use those RCI Points to make a
Reservation of Vacation Time, to make those RCI Points
available for Participants, or to otherwise use or dispose
of those RCI Points. Based upon anticipated demand,
the Network Administrator may exchange Vacation Time
in the Network Depository for Vacation Time in the
External Exchange Program. Further, the Network
Administrator may, at any time, dispose of Vacation Time
it reasonably determines will likely go unused, and the
Network Administrator may dispose of any Vacation
Time that is not the subject of a Reservation ninety (90)
days prior to the start date of that Vacation Time.
Finally,
the Network Administrator may, in its sole discretion,
accept or reject any Network Participation Agreement.

* External Exchange Program is RCI Weeks

In particular the green text. I would like the RCI Rep to explain Why is it necessary to dispose of intervals, what criteria it uses to dispose of intervals, if members could see this list, how could it determine that certain intervals are not worth keeping in the bank when it is likely disposed for money and who benefits from the disposal of these intervals. Also what safeguards are in place to protect members deposits from possible abuse by RCI in this exercise. I would like other members to say what they think about this clause and how RCI uses it considering the possible conflicts of interest of the Network Administrator (RCI) as the latter is employed by Cendant who has considerable interests in the hospitality business.

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always wondered why I am unable to exchange into a specific resort on a specific week, yet I am offered that very week as an Extra Vacation. If it were on Last Call I would take it, as my main. fee is more than the Last Call price.

wilmark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed that Last Call inventory has really deteriorated in the past year. While a ton of website all with some link to Cendant are selling vacation weeks. Clause 23 appear to give RCI the 'Right' to take inventory out of what members have banked and dispose of it because they think that it will go unused. Lets get something clear here - who paid the Vacation club membership, who paid the Maintenance fees? What is the real rational here - is excess inventory even if its unwanted by the average RCI points member a bad thing? - what is it taking up too much hard disk space on their servers?? Or is it a back door for Cendant to profit from this. Dont we already pay high/increasing rates for exchanges and membership. My argument is any inventory taken away is reducing the quality of my searches when i am looking for somewhere. And why is it necessary have a few weeks of lead time from the start day in available inventory. A retired person can book an online flight to the destination the day before, RCI could inform the resort that someone is coming the day before (fax, email, real time update what ever). This is the purpose of Last Call.

thomassontag

TUG Member
Reaction score
Extra inventory????

Madge
I have been watching this thread about the rental of weeks that some believe have been taken from availabilty and put in other areas because and I Quote ( The inventory provided by RCI represents a portion of the surplus inventory that historically goes unused each year by our members for exchanges or Extra Vacations and Last Call)
Being a Fixed week owner and a Fairfield points owner i do many trades using fixed weeks and fairfield weeks both Generic and online.Over the last 3 years I have seen a significant drop in the ability to draw many of the same resorts I have been able to draw in the past.
It has been suggested that RCI has downgraded Fairfield online deposits due to the way Fairfield deposits late(Just before use date) making them worth less but I have noticed the same drop in value to the generic weeks.
I guess this is my Question What prevention is there in this system to prevent RCI from doing this system wide to automatcally create weeks that I Quote( represents a portion of the surplus inventory that historically goes unused each year by our members for exchanges or Extra Vacations and Last Call) If we can't see weeks because of our downgraded values I guess it will create a much larger surplus inventory for RCI to use for Rental purposes?