• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help me understand TPU's

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Here is my question:

I have a timeshare that I deposited into RCI, I got an assign tpu value of 35. When I go into RCI and look at the resort (the resort that I just deposited) availability I see all their tpu values between 22-26. I don't think I ever saw that resort have a reservation that asks for 35 tpu's. How did I get a value of 35 tpu's?

Another question:

I see a lot of 2016 resort availability now. For depositing into rci for a year in advance my resort requires me to pay that years maintenance in advance. For all those 2016 available reservations that I see under RCI does everyone pay that far in advance? or does RCI assign some of the 2015 deposits into 2016?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I'll answer the second part. At one point most resorts let you deposit the following year without prepaying the MF's. Enough people did this and then defaulted on the MF's the following year (after already using their week) that more and more HOA"S started requiring pre-payment. There are still a few that don't require you to pre-pay but most probably do. A lot of people are willing to prepay to deposit early because they then have the from when they deposit up to 2 years after the check in date to use the credit with the exchange company. Also if you own a floating week (vs a fixed week) by prepaying you can usually pick your week earlier and get a better week then what is left over by the time you would be required to pay your MF's.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
1: There is no requirement that depositing awards the same TPU values that booking requires. My resorts tend to be close if not the same for deposit/booking, but others have noticed similar discrepancies to yours.'

2: Those must either be pre-paid deposits by owners, or deposits of unsold/repossessed inventory on behalf of the management company. RCI can't "move" units from one year t the next.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Some companies (Starwood for one) bulk space bank more than a year in advance, based on their "expected demand." Management has 100% control of deposits, and they don't wait for individual owners to make deposits.

TPU fluctuates - it's not fixed.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here is my question:

I have a timeshare that I deposited into RCI, I got an assign tpu value of 35. When I go into RCI and look at the resort (the resort that I just deposited) availability I see all their tpu values between 22-26. I don't think I ever saw that resort have a reservation that asks for 35 tpu's. How did I get a value of 35 tpu's?

Are you comparing exact week for week? The week you deposit could easily have substantially higher TPU than an average week at the same resort, or the weeks you're seeing available for exchange.

I recently sold a timeshare in Hawaii that ranged from a low of about 30 TPU to a high of 56 TPU over the course of the year. The week you deposit can make a huge difference in the TPU you receive, which is where RCI's Deposit Calculator can be a great help. If you're going to deposit your week, choose the best week possible to maximize your received TPU.

Dave

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Thank you guys for responding I learned something today (which is a good thing).
Dave, this was a floating week, it could be the case. However, I still never
came across anything at that resort that commands that high TPU's. This resort
keeps the high demand weeks for themselves. Anyway, when I deposited my
2015 week it was around the Christmas Holiday's and I was extremely nice to them maybe that had something to do with it!