• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Worldmark valley isle Xmas 2015--keep or give back?

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Less than a week ago, I put in an OGS for any of the decent resorts in Maui for new year's week and the week after for 2016.

In the wee hours this morning, we got a confirmation to the worldmark in lahaina for a 2 bedroom with a check in on Christmas Day. Our preference would not be to travel on Xmas (we want to go for two weeks immediately after christmas; a week in Maui and one on the big island.) I know nothing about worldmark--I got this with my II trader--so, should I keep this or throw it back? Please advise, because I'm in my 24 hour window.

Thank you!
(And mods, please move if this might get more traction in the Wyndham or Hawaii forums.)

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Although traveling on Christmas might not be a first choice for many, I wonder if the airport traffic might actually be okay.

I'd check fares and see is they are reasonable.

Valley Isle is kind of a neat timeshare. It doesn't have a lot of amenities but it is right on the ocean and most rooms have great views. It is in a quiet but convenient area of Kahana. It gets great reviews on tripadvisor.

I'd be inclined to keep it, especially because it is a 2 BR.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have travelled many times on Christmas Day -- BWI to FLL ... I usually get my nephews up (7AM) to make the immediate family breakfast (3 different quiches, eat and open our presents) served at 9AM and leave before the in-laws extended family comes by (around 1PM, so I leave by noon).

Easier and cheaper seats on a very busy travel route, flight crews are more relaxed and the other passengers are in a good mood.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone, I really appreciate it. This is the first OGS I had put in for in my TUG era, and I was very surprised it matched so quickly, especially because I asked for a two-bedroom.

We've decided to keep it. I agree that traveling on Christmas might be a better deal overall. If we leave from my in-laws in ATL, we might even be able to fly direct. We're not too worried about airfare at this point, because it's so far out, and we have some FF miles to play with.

Now, what do you think our chances are in getting the following week on the Big Island? :whoopie:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We stayed there but in a VI unit. We were on the 10th floor with a great ocean
View. The only thing was we didn't have air conditioning but it wasn't too bad.
It did get warm in the unit in the afternoon when the sun was shining right on
The building but we we gone most of that time anyway. We were in a one
Bedroom and liked to sleep in the living room and listen to the ocean at night.

The location is really great. Your away from big crowds but still close to
Everything. Walk across the street and have a pizza at Dollies. Really good, we
Had two while we were there. We called ahead and brought it back to the unit.:D

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
.... I agree that traveling on Christmas might be a better deal overall. If we leave from my in-laws in ATL, we might even be able to fly direct. .....

You are so funny ... I leave my sister's house to AVOID HER IN-LAWs!

How bad are her in-laws??? She took me to the airport one Christmas at noon and when she got back a little after 1PM, her MIL and SIL decided dinner needed to be RIGHT NOW! - served everything, left the dirty & empty dishes on her formal DR table and then all the guests were gone. My sister called me 6 hours later still crying her eyes out ... they also had opened all their presents, too. Her house was a wreck - there was no leftovers as they took all that back to eat for their supper (so her daughter would not have to cook) - including everything my sister made. My sister was just so CRUSHED!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my, Linda!! That's so rude, I can't imagine.

I am very lucky in the in-laws department, and the fact that both sets of in-laws get along well with each other. I am the only child of a single parent, and my in-laws have often graciously included my mother when we have Christmas at their house. My mother will be coming with us to Hawaii, so it's great that my spouse feels he got lucky in the in-law department, too. ;)

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score

How bad are her in-laws??? She took me to the airport one Christmas at noon and when she got back a little after 1PM, her MIL and SIL decided dinner needed to be RIGHT NOW! - served everything, left the dirty & empty dishes on her formal DR table and then all the guests were gone. My sister called me 6 hours later still crying her eyes out ... they also had opened all their presents, too. Her house was a wreck - there was no leftovers as they took all that back to eat for their supper (so her daughter would not have to cook) - including everything my sister made. My sister was just so CRUSHED!

That has to be the tackiest, most selfish and rude thing I've read in a long time. If it were me, these folks wouldn't step foot in my house again for a long, long time--even if they were DH's kinfolk. But then, he wouldn't put up with it, either.

That aside, I'd be tempted to travel on Christmas for a great nab like that!

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time does heal all wounds ... even with her in-laws. My sister is the most level headed and kind person around --- our parents passed on years ago and I am only 10 years younger than her in-laws. She kept her chin up and her mouth closed; we sort of try to avoid being their patsy as both my sister and her SIL live with 15 miles of each other, each having 3 kids close in age.

Several years ago, her SIL decided to have a pool birthday party for her June child who is 3 days off from one of my nephews. As her youngest sister and family was in from the Denver area (annual June trip), the SIL & MIL decide both kids Birthday Party should be held together at SIL's pool. Told my sister, just bring over Linda's NJ brought Birthday cake to the pool party.

I have been bring the b-cake down for every birthday since my nephews' started having birthdays - and the butter cream icing is the BEST (chocolate cake melts in your mouth, too).

There I was with the cake in sis's refrigerator and I said, NO WAY. So we went to Costco and brought ANOTHER cake with his name on it. We knew we wanted the NJ cake leftovers in OUR refrigerator. We walk in and the SIL took one look at the Costco cake and said, "That is NOT a NJ cake!" And we agreed and said, we would be cutting the NJ cake on the nephew's b-day. 3 minutes later, the MIL asked "Didn't Linda bring down a NJ cake?" We cut and sang for both kids AND we left the Costco cake there. We still chuckle over their reactions - been 5 years at least.

MIL and FIL both show up for my nephew's birthday 3 days later - and had pieces of the NJ cake. And raved about how good those NJ cakes are.

Really -- there is a big difference between jerks and batty airheads. They are airheads --- MIL is very kind and means well, but when you put the mother with her daughter, that is the result ... TOTAL FLAKES! Not necessary mean or evil people or actions --- just ....

Now, one of my nephews drives me to the airport --- no problems.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
A lot of people are just very selfish, and it is always about what is best for ME ME ME. Sad.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now, what do you think our chances are in getting the following week on the Big Island? :whoopie:

There are so many timeshares on the BI, I'd be surprised if you didn't get one requesting this far in advance. It may not hit until a few months prior, but if you are open to all properties, I think you have a decent shot.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reassurance... We're still waiting, but if we need to rent from an owner, we can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

travelplus

Reaction score

Piggy Inlaws huh. I would NEVER invite them again if they are that greedy. Sorry your sister had to deal with them.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread to get some more advice...

Our second week on the BI still hasn't come through. I haven't booked flights yet, though, either.

Aaand another complication is that we found out that my spouse's cousin will be stationed on Oahu starting in April of 2015. So, our "back-up" might be to split the second week between the Big Island and Oahu, staying in hotels or B&Bs. How far out would I need to book that?

Ugh. Looking forward to next Christmas, but feeling overwhelmed by the planning! :)

Thanks!

pt181

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread to get some more advice...

Our second week on the BI still hasn't come through. I haven't booked flights yet, though, either.

Aaand another complication is that we found out that my spouse's cousin will be stationed on Oahu starting in April of 2015. So, our "back-up" might be to split the second week between the Big Island and Oahu, staying in hotels or B&Bs. How far out would I need to book that?

Ugh. Looking forward to next Christmas, but feeling overwhelmed by the planning! :)

Thanks!

We've traded a few times into Hawaii (RCI and direct exchange with owner) but have also found great prices renting condos. A Google search on Hawaii condo rentals should give you a good list. There are a few that are Hawaii only - we've always had good luck with them. I've been very picky on the condo I chose (high floor, corner unit, best view) so like having the option to choose the exact unit we rent.

Our first rental was at the Valley Isle. It is in a very good central location on West Maui. Oceanfront, walkable to Kahana Gateway shopping center (with Maui Brewing Co, one of our favs) and not too far a drive from Lahaina.

When island hopping from West Maui, we prefer to fly out of Kapalua airport - just a mile or two from Valley Isle. Taking one of the small planes from there to Honolulu is like getting a bonus aerial tour - its a great view over Molokai.

Hotels in Oahu are pricey but the BI is more reasonable. When we go to the Big Island, I don't trade or rent because I *need* to stay at the Royal Kona Resort. Reviews show that people either love or hate it, It's kind of kitschy and not new but the place 'feels' like retro Hawaii and we can walk into the little town of Kona.

If you want to use FF miles, book as soon as you can (usually 331 days in advance). I find that some routes fill up fast.

Good luck!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our week at the Kona Coast II just came through! Two bedroom, with the right check-in day, too, so there won't be a gap. Thanks for all the advice/ reassurance. we're excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk