• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Mayan Riviera Maya

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My son and his wife and two friends are going to the Grand Mayan Riveriera Maya in April. They have never been to this area before. I have been to Cancun but stayed at the Royal Mayan and it was 5+ years ago. I know this place is a little remote. They dont drink alcohol so the meal plan would not be beneficial to them??

How do they get to the nearest Walmart or grocery store? Is there anything they should pack and take with them? What is the best way to sign up for any tours (Tulum, etc). What are your favorite places to visit?

They are all in thie late 30's and very athletic, walking isnt going to bother them. My son is fluent in Spanish.

I understand the beach at the resort is not real good, what are some other beaches they can get to that are close by that would be better?

Any information you can give me, Im sure they would appreciate it very much.

Last edited:

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Grand Mayan is about 35 minutes from Playa del Carmen where the nearest grocery stores are located. There are good restaurants on property. In Playa del Carmen we love El Fogon, which is a local taco restaurant. It's very inexpensive and good. Also Yaxache in Playa has good Mayan food. In Puerto Morales our favorite restaurant is John Gray's Kitchen.

On a side note, we always rent a car.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, they offer a shuttle service to a major grocery store.
I did fine without a car. I even rode the 'collectivo' into Cancun. You stand out on the road and the van will flash their lights if they have room. You put up your hand if you want them to stop. So there I was, sitting in the first seat saying to myself, "I have no idea where I am going or how much they are going to charge me."

I like an adventure and this was a good one. I think it was like 25 pesos into downtown Cancun. It is primarily a service provided for employees of the resorts and runs all the way down to Tulum.

saywhat

Reaction score
As for the beach, Mamita in Playa. Further off the path is Playa Norte on Isla Mujers.....its a bit of a schlep but I've never met anyone who didn't love it there. Maybe even bring an overnight bag and spend the night. Wide price range for an accomadation. Isla is like Playa was 20 yrs ago.

Don't forget to warn them about the sales pitch....its not worth the discounted or free tour.

Last edited:

belor

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Regarding grocery stores, there is a Super Chedraui in Puerto Morelos, right on the local bypass of 307 and Calle Jose Maria Morelos. Have shopped there a couple times - convenient when heading from airport to northern PdC resorts (like Royal Haciendas) - we can grab a few things on the way to the hotel to check in, and not have to drive out of our way.

-john-

talkamotta

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information...

How does one book trips to Tulum, Chichen Itza, etc.

I have discouraged them from renting a car but if they did, can they do it at the resort for like one or two days?

riu girl

Reaction score
In the past few years, I have stayed three times at the Grand Mayan Riviera Maya. It is beautiful. When they go to the beach in front of the resort, if they walk north (left) for about 10-15 minutes they will find an amazing section of fine white sand and a beautiful swimming beach. It is located at a resort but as long as you don't try to use the lounge chairs you can use the beach (they will need to bring their towels). I have spent several days at this beach and love it. They will need shoes of some sort to walk to this section of the beach though. The beach itself is amazing but they will have to walk over a section that is quite pebbly to reach the beach.

Regarding groceries, there are two wal-marts, one in a residential area and one downtown in a touristy area. We have taken cabs to both but find that the one in the residential area doesn't have taxis waiting to take you back to the resort, so if they take a cab to a wal-mart insist on going to the one downtown.

About booking tours, we usually take collectivos and do our own thing, but once organized a tour through the resort to Chichen Itza. The booking agent at the Grand Mayan was great to work with and the tour was fabulous.

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the information...

How does one book trips to Tulum, Chichen Itza, etc.

I have discouraged them from renting a car but if they did, can they do it at the resort for like one or two days?

Yes, they can rent a car and/or book an excursion at the resort. The concierges are all very helpful.