• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gave up on RCI trades, bought DVC

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I agree--tickets are $$$. But, we have always "rationed" WDW tickets. We got 2 sets of no-expire tickets in 2005 and used them only for 2 park days and 1 DisneyQuest day for a week-long stay for many years. Then, last year, we got the DVC premium AP deal for $500 and will have gone to WDW 4X in 1 year--including 2 spring breaks. We will get 20+ park days out of them! We did a combo of DVC stays, free Marriott rewards nights and RCI-DVC trades--our mega WDW year. Our next trip, I am getting my teens 5 day base tickets and DH and I will go in with them only 2 days (enough for us) from old tickets to save $.
We really enjoy AKV and other activities at WDW and could spend a week not going into any parks. We plan to use DVC more as a destination than a hotel for the parks in future years.
LOL--I just priced out Disney Paris--way cheaper to let the kids get their Disney fix over the pond than in Orlando!

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC: SSR, PVB
HGVC: Kings' Land, Ocean Tower
Great Thread!
After 5 great years of trading via RCI for DVC (1X 2BR July, 2X 1BR Easter, 2X 1BR Aug), we have given up relying on RCI and bought enough (resale) DVC points to stay in a 1BR for a week during holiday seasons. Purchase price was more than all our other 4 TS resale purchases combined! But, after also staying offsite for a number of years (OLCC, Marriott, Starwood, HGVC), we know for our family that the convenience and other amenities offered by DVC was what worked for us. So, we sold our smaller DVC contract (for a nice profit after 8 years), and bought a larger DVC contract. Still hope to supplement with August RCI trades, but no longer have to roll the dice for Easter, Christmas, etc.
The Mouse got us! Elaine
Congrats and Welcome Home! We are in the same boat as you -- we've traded into DVC via RCI 5 years; bought into DVC about 3 years ago. Booking what we want when we want and knowing we have a backup ressie for the 1 week the kids have off is important. We still have a OGS search for the same week, and have no problem cancelling BLT or AKV through DVC for a RCI SSR ressie - love SSR and displacing the DVC points allows us to rent them @ $13/pt. -- more than pays all our DVC MFs.
Congrats Elaine.:D

I agree, the uncertainty of getting mouse time on site traps a lot of us.
I'm still trying to get exchanges but now if one comes thru I can cancel my DVC reservation and rent my points. It's a win-win.

And don't feel bad, the mouse got me for a new Poly contract too. :p
I three bought resale DVC and PVB direct and exchange into DVC with RCI -- it's the trifecta!
I keep going back and forth on this. But, every time, I end up thinking that I'd rather stay offsite than pay the piper. If I didn't have two kids that I have to send to college in the next several years, perhaps I'd feel differently. ;)

Heck, we even have a non-Disney vacation planned for next year's Spring Break at Vistana Beach Club. I have a well-aged OGS looking for a DVC 2BR for that week. If it hits, we'll switch. But, if it doesn't, we'll still have a great time. That's my oldest's senior year of HS---we are also hoping to do a "last hurrah" with two weeks in Hawaii that summer.

This whole timesharing thing is rough!
I completely understand your wise financial choices. DVC is a luxury. But like buying a luxury car, it's totally worth it. I figure I only have 18 years to spend with my kids on family vacations, so I'm going to invest in that -- they can go to state school and work through college :-D
I enjoy staying offsite more than staying at the DVC resorts. We don't eat at Disney every meal (hardly any meals, really)

I am a huge Disney fan, but staying onsite is so much more expensive than staying at the Marriott we love. It's nice to have a second bedroom, now that we are older, because we can offer that room to any family member who wants to go. This past November, we took my aunt to Disneyworld. She is only two-and-a-half years older than the two of us, and she lost her husband last January. It was fun to have her with us, and if I had gotten Disney 1 bedrooms, we couldn't have done it.

We are nearly 60 and have kids and grandkids who love Disney and often go at the last minute. Sometimes it's airfare drops, and sometimes it last-minute time off, or just a whim.

I notice the entire TUG sightings section is becoming overwhelmed by Disney sightings. I say keep it to yourself and don't spout the inventory all over the TUG sightings board. It's a new revelation for me but it's getting old, all of the same old questions about trading power and such. It's almost like we need a sticky about DVC exchanges and how much trading power is necessary to get the various seasons. We should include how much more likely it is to get SSR than most of the other resorts, too If you leave SSR off the search because you would never take it, prepare to stay offsite because SSR is the resort Disney drops into RCI more often, probably 30X more, as far as I can tell.

Two bedrooms are also very difficult, so you might have to put the kids on the sleep sofa and share a bathroom. When people ask for information about trading power, we can say, "here is the sticky, knock yourself out reading all about it."
Staying in the park for a week is a completely different experience than staying offsite. Everytime we leave after getting lost in wonderland for a week it is completely jarring -- which is a good sign of a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. We are at a different stage in our/kids lives, for sure, so understand it may be different for you. Pre-kids we went to Hawaii every year, and after they are 18 will continue to do so (or move there), but now that we've built such a family tradition with Disney, I'm sure we'll continue to do so even when our girls are in college, and hopefully with grandkids. I get it's over amplified on Sightings board -- I agree a separate forum or sticky for DVC posts would be a good idea, but I don't personally find it annoying (I know I'm the source for many of the posts, so I am biased). Honestly, TUG is rather stagnant compared to most other Disney forums (MO and DIS) so without the Disney posts I wouldn't frequent here as much if at all.
Not if you give into the pixie dust then it's easy. :D

I don't have kids so I can appreciate how expensive they are.
All that money I save on kids I can spend on buying from the mouse.
I think you've done better than most of us with the RCI mouse time so if it ain't broke why fix it. :shrug:

And I think you will enjoy Vistana.
Contrary to what all my friends think, I do vacation at other places than the Mouse. Jensen beach happens to be one of them.
This little resort is really undervalued IMO. But shhhh, don't tell RCI. :ignore:
Pixie dust is a hell of a drug :D
Strategy you might want to try if you want a 2 bedroom at AKV is to book in Kidani a studio thru the club and then call DVC and ask them to try to coordinate with your 1 bedroom RCI exchange. Many of the 2 bedrooms are lock offs in Kidani.
Room requests for adjacent rooms is extremely dicey -- Try for it sure, but would not recommend counting on this.
I agree with you on AKV. It's my favorite DVC resort.
Now that Poly is in the mix it's going to be a tough call but split stays will definitely be in my future with a Poly-MK stay and then AK-AK park stay.
Two vacations in one. :D
We love AKV too, but wouldn't buy there (sorry) -- it's a huge resort and offsite -- the only thing sells out @ 7 mos. is Value and Concierge rooms. Unless you need those, you don't need to own there. I'd buy SSR for my money (and did). BLT, VGF, and PVB are different stories -- and why I bought PVB -- to own MK resort we wanted to stay at.
Thanks. I know it was a crazy expensive splurge but I can't take this money with me so I'm spending it on the things I love. :whoopie:
Amen to that!
Awesome.
I'm heading to Aulanai next year too Lord willing.
Haven't been to Hawaii in 30 years.
Can't wait to do Hawaii with the Mouse. :D
We'll be heading to Aulani next summer as well! I think we are DVC doppelgangers
Curious how much you can buy DVC on resale market? Bought non DVC resorts before but always wondered...
Check out disneydvcresale.com -- it's a meta listing for all DVC resales. Chepeast is VB @ $40/pt, but it has highest MFs, so total cost per point (purchase price/total points on contract --which vary by resort + MF/pt.) is highest ($10+/pt). Cheapest total cost per point is SSR @ $7/pt. AUL (subsidized)/OKW (extended)/BLT are $7-$8. AKV/AUL/VGC are $8-$9. BWV/BCV/VWL/HHI are $9-$10. Poly direct is $9.30/pt (keep in mind you are buying 50 years of points, so more point = higher upfront cost). Renting same points is $12-$16 (with no upfront purchase cost) but less flexibility to book what you want when you want and rentals are prepaid so use it or lose it. Booking direct from Disney is ~$24/pt. but refundable.
I agree--tickets are $$$. But, we have always "rationed" WDW tickets. We got 2 sets of no-expire tickets in 2005 and used them only for 2 park days and 1 DisneyQuest day for a week-long stay for many years. Then, last year, we got the DVC premium AP deal for $500 and will have gone to WDW 4X in 1 year--including 2 spring breaks. We will get 20+ park days out of them! We did a combo of DVC stays, free Marriott rewards nights and RCI-DVC trades--our mega WDW year. Our next trip, I am getting my teens 5 day base tickets and DH and I will go in with them only 2 days (enough for us) from old tickets to save $.
We really enjoy AKV and other activities at WDW and could spend a week not going into any parks. We plan to use DVC more as a destination than a hotel for the parks in future years.
LOL--I just priced out Disney Paris--way cheaper to let the kids get their Disney fix over the pond than in Orlando!
For us, we went all in and with our DVC APs average around $633/trip for AP cost, plus get 10% off drinks/snacks in merch stores with DVC, plus 20% off sit-down with TiW. DVC and RCI are what make the cash flow affordable to do this 2-3 times a year. Obviously with a big up front investment, but you only have 18 years of family vacations with your kids (lord willing), so it's worth every penny IMO. I'll gladly die broke and happy. It's doing both that's key. :-D

Last edited:

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very good, informative, and inspiring post. Got me thinking if I should purchase VGC.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very good, informative, and inspiring post. Got me thinking if I should purchase VGC.
There are very few cases where home resort advantage is truly needed -- VGC is one of them -- you have to own there to book there when you want. FYI, looking at the cheapest VGC contract out there (180 pts @ $127), doing the quick math on total cost per point it is $8 total cost per point on contract ($23,499 total cost incl. closing - $20 MFs due)/points remaining on contract (44 years x 180 - 176 borrowed) + MF/pt ($5.15) = $8.15/pt -- price you are paying in today's dollars for each point used this year. That's not bad considering cheapest SSR is $7/pt. Good luck!

Last edited:

Lborneke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Las Vegas
Tahiti Village, Las Vegas
Thank you for all of this information. I do appreciate the insight that people are providing for this. And nice to know that I am not the only one with these quesitons.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for all of this information. I do appreciate the insight that people are providing for this. And nice to know that I am not the only one with these quesitons.
Sure, and good job doing your research and not jumping the gun. I would also check out DVC News and MouseOwners for DVC specific forums -- tons of people to share their experience and information.

Russ

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are very few cases where home resort advantage is truly needed -- VGC is one of them -- you have to own there to book there when you want. FYI, looking at the cheapest VGC contract out there (180 pts @ $127), doing the quick math on total cost per point it is $8 total cost per point on contract ($23,499 total cost incl. closing - $20 MFs due)/points remaining on contract (44 years x 180 - 176 borrowed) + MF/pt ($5.15) = $8.15/pt -- price you are paying in today's dollars for each point used this year. That's not bad considering cheapest SSR is $7/pt. Good luck!

Had to read it twice, and went to the dvc-resales website link. Finally I got the math and apparently its not much more expensive than SSR over the life. Looks like VGC MFs are not high either. Looks like yearly MF will be around 927 + (any yearly club dues?). What kind of accommodation in what season can I expect for 180 points at VGC?

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
Had to read it twice, and went to the dvc-resales website link. Finally I got the math and apparently its not much more expensive than SSR over the life. Looks like VGC MFs are not high either. Looks like yearly MF will be around 927 + (any yearly club dues?). What kind of accommodation in what season can I expect for 180 points at VGC?

There are no "club" dues with DVC.
It's included in your MF's.
There are no booking or guest certificate fees either.
DVC is expensive to buy into but doesn't nickel and dime you to death, at least not at this time. Who knows what the future holds. :ignore:
You can see a points calculator at www.dvcbyrequest.com to see how many points you will need for any time you are considering.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave a second thought. Since I expect 10% return on my money. So $25,000 of upfront cost equals $2,500 plus $1000 MF equals total of 3500 per year. This is assuming I am able to sell back the contract at the purchase price.

Everyone will have their own opinion I am having hard time justifying this cost, while I am not sure if I'd want to go to Disney every year. I will stick with RCI exchange and/or renting from owner camp (VGC may be out of luck).

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
We could not justify the cost either for almost 10 years. But, for us, we weighed the capital outlay against the cost of alternative vacations for this Christmas and other holidays. FYI--this year, we decided we would do a larger space (1BR, b/c we had an extra year of points), good thing, as value and even standard studios are booked up--thus we needed the 11 month booking window.
1-We could have rented DVC for $2500, but then we are locked into a reservation. We want the flex to change/cancel. I already owned DVC, so I could have gotten a transfer of points to control booking, but we anticipate using AKV for many years, so we would need yearly transfers.
2-Cruise--that was $7k+ for Christmas.
3-Fly to Carib and stay in a TS trade. Airfare is usually $800 PP, plus maintenance fees cost of about $1000 for the unit traded.
So, after reviewing alternatives, and deciding if in Orlando, we wanted to be at DVC for reasons previously stated, we decided it was worth the capital outlay to us.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder at what point during the life of the RTU period that prices will begin to collapse. DVC resorts aren't deeded, so I would expect that there will inevitably be a correction to the euphoric rise in resale prices as expiration approaches.

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder at what point during the life of the RTU period that prices will begin to collapse. DVC resorts aren't deeded, so I would expect that there will inevitably be a correction to the euphoric rise in resale prices as expiration approaches.

Good question. It like long term option in equity market. They will hold their value for relatively some time and then a time will come when a steep decline will start.....else wait for recession....people will stop paying these exhorbitant 105 per day per person ticket and stop visiting parks and DVC resorts will stay empty....and eventually resale prices will collapse...hahaha

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I gave a second thought. Since I expect 10% return on my money. So $25,000 of upfront cost equals $2,500 plus $1000 MF equals total of 3500 per year. This is assuming I am able to sell back the contract at the purchase price.

Everyone will have their own opinion I am having hard time justifying this cost, while I am not sure if I'd want to go to Disney every year. I will stick with RCI exchange and/or renting from owner camp (VGC may be out of luck).
10% ROI relative to renting is going to be tough with current resale prices. The trick (as with all investments) is to buy low, sell high -- wait a year or two and things will invert,. That said, relative to direct booking, resale is easily in the 20s ROI. The only true equivalent to owning DVC is booking direct (booking what you want when you want). If you are fine renting direct from DVC members then owning may not be worth it (if you truly are going to invest your money you would have bought DVC with and truly earn 10% for 38 years consecutively). I doubt any of these factors are true for 99% of people -- stock market is at an all time high and is going down, not up in the mid term, and most people don't hassle with renting direct from DVC members -- especially if it's more expensive than buying resale (even a the current prices). People would rather have more control and flexibility.
DVC should straight-line deprecate to zero over 50 years of contract. That's expected, and has nothing to do with the savings you get (over booking direct/renting) by buying. Sure, it's an added bonus that you can sell for more than you bought right now, but that's not really providing any value if you don't sell -- nor will it hurt your value you when the opposite is true
Good question. It like long term option in equity market. They will hold their value for relatively some time and then a time will come when a steep decline will start.....else wait for recession....people will stop paying these exhorbitant 105 per day per person ticket and stop visiting parks and DVC resorts will stay empty....and eventually resale prices will collapse...hahaha
I disagree. Disney has raised prices consistently over the years and has never lowered prices for accommodations or tickets. The world is globalizing, an there still is only one original Disney World, so organic demand will continue to rise despite fluxuations in the economy. As Disney accommodations go up in price, so does the value of DVC (which is the difference between direct rates and what you paid for DVC), therefore resale prices go up accordingly. However, the same is not true for DVC MFs, which have only gone up 1% per year above inflation since DVC's inception -- so DVC is a great hedge against increases in Disney direct prices, whereas renting is pegged to Disney direct prices -- e.g. a couple years ago brokers were paying out $10/pt. based on demand -- today they are paying out $11.75, and still can't meet their demand. Renting/direct prices will continue to rise whereas DVC cost (MFs) remain steady.

Last edited:

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.

Disney will just extend the contract like they did with OKW and charge current owners for the privilege.
Poly resort is almost 50 years old and they are selling 50 year contracts there.
They will just fix up the old buildings by remodeling and sell them again.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney will just extend the contract like they did with OKW and charge current owners for the privilege.
Poly resort is almost 50 years old and they are selling 50 year contracts there.
They will just fix up the old buildings by remodeling and sell them again.

Sure, but they will charge full freight. What you are saying is beside my point. At some point the depreciation of pricing will necessarily accelerate as expiration approaches.

Southerngirl528

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club: Old Key West & Vero Beach Marriott Maui Ocean Club Napili Tower
Actually DVC memberships ARE deeded, just not for perpetuity. They can be willed or sold. Each resort has a 50 year "clock" when it opens. I bought DVC in 1993 and have added on 4 times and truly LOVE my membership.

In the last year I have done a Grand Villa that sleeps 12 at OKW for a week (rack rate on that was $1443/night pre-taxes for the off season which we reserved), 6 nights in an Ocean View 1 bdrm villa at Aulani the end of this January (per Aulani's website that price ranged from $4900 to $6100 for our dates and room type). A year ago February I took the little princesses on a surprise 4 night cruise on the Dream. Other than paying cash for one child for the cruise, all this was done on a little less than 2 years points that I own.

I like to see what I would have been out of pocket for the exact same dates/accomodations and though my dues aren't cheap per year on about 500pts/yr, I find the value of what I can get on my points still FAR exceeds the cost of ownership. Prices have gone up a lot over the years, but my membership paid for itself in about 6-7 years.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure. The process was very messy, and I think the uptake was a lot lower than Disney expected. They haven't extended the offer to any of the other 2042 resorts, and I suspect they won't. I suspect they will renovate and re-sell as "new."

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not so sure. The process was very messy, and I think the uptake was a lot lower than Disney expected. They haven't extended the offer to any of the other 2042 resorts, and I suspect they won't. I suspect they will renovate and re-sell as "new."
I think they may have treated OKW differently since it's the only off-park location of the 2042 resorts (OKW, BCV, BWV, VWL, HHI, VB). They won't have any problem reselling the others, but OKW may be challenging given the trend and popularity of park resorts (VGF, PVB). So, they may have been trying to prolong it's expiration to avoid this. I'm not sure why it wasn't popular -- DVC members were getting the better end of that deal. OKW (extended) is a great resale value -- next to SSR it's the best resale value.

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it wasn't popular -- DVC members were getting the better end of that deal.
I can only offer our perspective as an OKW owner who received, and rejected, the extension offer.

To us, it was a simple question of whether I wanted to pay $15 per point for points I would not receive until 2042. At the time, we had 310 OKW points, so the extension would have cost us $4,650.

The answer was a VERY easy no. I saw no sense in paying $4,650 for points I would not be able to use for 30 years, or whatever.

IF I had wanted to put $4,000 more into DVC points, I would have bought a resale contract with points I could use immediately and for many years in the future -- not something I would only be able to use for a few years MANY years in the future.

To me, the extension offer was almost laughable.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can only offer our perspective as an OKW owner who received, and rejected, the extension offer.

To us, it was a simple question of whether I wanted to pay $15 per point for points I would not receive until 2042. At the time, we had 310 OKW points, so the extension would have cost us $4,650.

The answer was a VERY easy no. I saw no sense in paying $4,650 for points I would not be able to use for 30 years, or whatever.

IF I had wanted to put $4,000 more into DVC points, I would have bought a resale contract with points I could use immediately and for many years in the future -- not something I would only be able to use for a few years MANY years in the future.

To me, the extension offer was almost laughable.
I understand your explanation, but don't understand the reasoning. $15/point is $1/point on contract. OKW in 1991 cost $2/point on contract (adjusted for inflation). So, they were offering OKW points at half the cost of your original points. That is the absolute cheapest any individual DVC point has every sold direct or resale. So, even if you don't use them they should have more value than they cost, which should be reflected in the resale value over time, especially with OKW depreciates to $0 in 2040 (the last UY) -- actually probably long before that as the closing costs will outweigh any value they may have.

Last edited:

JimMIA

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand your explanation, but don't understand the reasoning.
Huh?:shrug:
$15/point is $1/point on contract. OKW in 1991 cost $2/point on contract (adjusted for inflation). So, they were offering OKW points at half the cost of your original points. That is the absolute cheapest any individual DVC point has every sold direct or resale. So, even if you don't use them they should have more value than they cost, which should be reflected in the resale value over time, especially with OKW depreciates to $0 in 2040 (the last UY) -- actually probably long before that as the closing costs will outweigh any value they may have.
Points purchased in 1991 could be used in 1992 and every year thereafter for 50 years.

Extended points are worthless until 2042, and then only good for 15 years.

Those are not time periods which are equivalent in any respect -- 50 years from today does NOT equal 15 years starting 30 years from now. Sorry, it just doesn't.

The minimum permissible purchase in 1991 was 230 points @ $51 = $11,730. For that expenditure, you would have received 230 points, every year for 50 years, for a total of 11,500 points. $11,730 divided by 11,500 points = $1.02 per point...not $2.00

AND...the points would have been available IMMEDIATELY, and every year thereafter.

The extension would have cost $15 X 230 = $3,450. You would have the use of ZERO points for about 30 years, and then the use of 230 points for 15 years. That's $1 per point ONLY if you ignore the time value of money, AND ignore the fact that you have no points for 30 years -- which is a fool's bet.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
$15/point is $1/point on contract.
$15/point for points that don't even come to you for 30 years. Again, you are completely ignoring the time-value of money. If you honestly believe that those points cost just $1/year, presumably you'd be wiling to give me $15 (or $15,000) today, and have me just give you back that $15 (or $15,000) 30 years from now, and we'd call it square.

I know we've had this discussion before---more than once---but you continue to be just plain wrong here. Of course, if you disagree, my "$15K for 30 years" offer stands.

rfc0001

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Huh?:shrug:
Points purchased in 1991 could be used in 1992 and every year thereafter for 50 years.

Extended points are worthless until 2042, and then only good for 15 years.

Those are not time periods which are equivalent in any respect -- 50 years from today does NOT equal 15 years starting 30 years from now. Sorry, it just doesn't.
I'm not saying it makes good financial sense to buy DVC, but if you paid $1.87 (in current dollars) for every point on the contract in 1991 -- for points 30-50 years out then, then paying $1.09 in 2008 (in current dollars) for points 30-35 years should have made even more sense. If the former made sense, so should the latter. Is it a lousy 6% ROI above inflation -- yes. Both are true.
The minimum permissible purchase in 1991 was 230 points @ $51 = $11,730. For that expenditure, you would have received 230 points, every year for 50 years, for a total of 11,500 points. $11,730 divided by 11,500 points = $1.02 per point...not $2.00
Presale was $49 for 50 points on contract = $0.98/point on contract = $1.87 in todays dollars.
AND...the points would have been available IMMEDIATELY, and every year thereafter.

The extension would have cost $15 X 230 = $3,450. You would have the use of ZERO points for about 30 years, and then the use of 230 points for 15 years. That's $1 per point ONLY if you ignore the time value of money, AND ignore the fact that you have no points for 30 years -- which is a fool's bet.
$15/point for points that don't even come to you for 30 years. Again, you are completely ignoring the time-value of money. If you honestly believe that those points cost just $1/year, presumably you'd be wiling to give me $15 (or $15,000) today, and have me just give you back that $15 (or $15,000) 30 years from now, and we'd call it square.

I know we've had this discussion before---more than once---but you continue to be just plain wrong here. Of course, if you disagree, my "$15K for 30 years" offer stands.
I'm not ignoring the time value of money. The time value of money for points 30-45 years out in 1991 is the exact same equation as the time value of money calculation for point 30-45 years out from 2008. The only difference is you paid $1.87 per point (in 1991, in current dollars) for the fomer and $1.09 (in 2008, in current dollars) for the latter. If the former was a good deal (big if), so should the latter. I'm not ignoring the time value of money -- it's just the same in both cases.

For illustration, DVC currently sells for $3.23/pt. DVC prices have has increased 2.5% per year above inflation since 1991 ($1.87 to $3.23 today). So, if DVC offered you to extend a contract today for $1 per point starting in 30 years, you could either buy that point now for $1 or wait 30 years and buy it for $6.77 (3.23$ with 2.5% increase above inflation for 30 years). That is the equivalent of 6-7% ROI -- every year for 30 years. And the that's just the ROI on the $1 -- the total ROI is whatever Disney direct prices are in 30 years over whatever that $1 is worth in 30 years -- which is a heck of a lot more than 7%. Keep in mind your original purchase of OKW in 1991 only appreciated 2.5% in value per year relative to the current price of DVC. So, if 7% is a bad deal, then 2.5% surely is a bad deal -- which was and is my point. I'm not trying to say DVC is or isn't a bad deal, just that this cost per point is a relatively good deal to an original purchase of OKW (or any current purchase resale). That's a completely different question than is DVC worth it or did you even want/need the extra points. If you didn't need the points don't buy them, fine -- but the stated reason that it as because they were "laughable" doesn't follow the math -- if DVC made sense in 1991 @ $1.87/pt. it should makes sense in 2008 @ $1.09 per point, especially given the cost of Disney direct prices (which DVC value is relative too) greatly exceeds inflation or any relative investment you could plug into a NPV calculation.

Last edited: