• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transfer fee payment process

booklvr

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just bought at the Carlsbad Seapointe Inn. There is a transfer fee involved. Is that always done by certified check to the closing agent rather than credit card? it's a real pain to get a certified check done and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you pay with a credit card, the title company has to pay the 2/3% merchant fee and maybe a foreign transaction fee. If you offer to pay the fee, they may agree to accept payment by credit card.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most real estate closing and transfer companies where I work won't accept a certified check either. They want wire transfers they have learned the hard way that it's easy to dispute a credit card payment or stop payment on a certified check.

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wire transfers are understandable and not that inconvenient based on the relationship with your bank. Hope you enjoy Seapointe as much as we have over the years. Room selection has been an issue in the past but the new lottery procedure seems to be working except for unlucky people like me.

Harry

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think many real estate transactions utilize a credit card for payment. Timeshares seem to be an oddity. The closing agent needs to come out whole and having to pay the merchant fees would make them short. The only fee that perhaps could be paid by credit card and not paying the 2-3% fee would be their actual closing fee. Any money that they take in and hold in escrow has to balance out in the end with what they pay out.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a closing recently where they wanted a certified check. I told them I was sending a regular check and I didn't care if they waited an extra week. No issues.

Not taking a credit card is understandable. It's not just the fee. The ones that take them tack on the fee. It has more to do with a buyer having remorse or thinking the closing is taking too long and trying to back out of the deal by filing a dispute.

Like Dioxide described, I haven't seen a by the book closing company take a credit card. By the book as in one that sends a settlement statement after everything is finished. Not many associated with a mass seller actually does this but TCS in Orlando comes to mind.

Last edited: