• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you been surprised by HGVC?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Studio capacity is 2. I cannot say if this is true for all the resorts, but for most of the ones I've seen it is true. It never occurred to me that it wouldn't be studio sleeps 2 privately and capacity to 4. I mistakenly presumed that in a pinch our family of 4 could do a studio.

DW and I checked out a studio in the beginning. It was clear to
us that stuffing a studio with more than 2 would be a non-starter.

Even using a 1BR for 4 peep can be tight, depending on which 4. :annoyed:

piyooshj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yay: Some good choices between HGVC and affliliates with quality resorts.
DVC via RCI
Last call via RCI
Nay: Nickel and dime fees for everything (I never booked my home resort yet) after paying club dues.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Without spending hours trying to "prove" my 5X comment I was able to quickly prove a 4.5X exchange. For example:

We're going out to KL in March for 7 nights. Booking the same room right now via the Hilton Hotels (not HGVC) website would cost us about $3,100. Using my 6,200 points from the Vegas Strip property which cost only $570 in MF only leaves me needing to pull 800 more points from my other Vegas property where I have 7,000 points. That's 11% of those points and 11% of that MF is about $100. Let's round up and call my total cost $700. $700 vs. $3,100 is pretty darn good.

5X definitely was inflated. You caught me, V-Bear. I must have gotten excited!

Let's not lose site of my point which is once you get past the purchase price and only have the MF to worry about you can get some awesome trips for much, much less than if you were paying cash. And I guess you have to factor in each individual owner. As with my example showing that I can get the week for less than $700, if your 7,000 points cost you $1,300 in MF then your "value" isn't as great as mine. And if someone has 7,000 points for less then their value is better.

Agreed about Valdoro - those rooms are crazy $$$$ in the ski season. And there are not very many of them so they can take advantage of diminished supply and high demand.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Without spending hours trying to "prove" my 5X comment I was able to quickly prove a 4.5X exchange. For example:

We're going out to KL in March for 7 nights. Booking the same room right now via the Hilton Hotels (not HGVC) website would cost us about $3,100. Using my 6,200 points from the Vegas Strip property which cost only $570 in MF only leaves me needing to pull 800 more points from my other Vegas property where I have 7,000 points. That's 11% of those points and 11% of that MF is about $100. Let's round up and call my total cost $700. $700 vs. $3,100 is pretty darn good.

5X definitely was inflated. You caught me, V-Bear. I must have gotten excited!

Let's not lose site of my point which is once you get past the purchase price and only have the MF to worry about you can get some awesome trips for much, much less than if you were paying cash. And I guess you have to factor in each individual owner. As with my example showing that I can get the week for less than $700, if your 7,000 points cost you $1,300 in MF then your "value" isn't as great as mine. And if someone has 7,000 points for less then their value is better.

Agreed about Valdoro - those rooms are crazy $$$$ in the ski season. And there are not very many of them so they can take advantage of diminished supply and high demand.

I do a similar analysis, every time i book a HGVC stay with points, i go over to Hilton.com and capture the cash booking prices as close as I can. That allows me to compare the cost of booking with TS points vs. cash.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
I bought a 2BR Flamingo for $12.5k ten years ago. It is a rough calculation but the total estimates of accommodations by HGVC points over the years already exceeded the purchase cost plus annual fees in the same period. I can stay in 1BR at HHV for a week by paying $1,000/yr and I can get a few thousand dollars back if I sell the interest. I do not have care about the value of my timeshare. That's very good.

vacationbear

TUG Member
Reaction score
5X definitely was inflated.

Nope, 5X (and far more than that!!!) is indeed very real!
You proofed it! :clap:

Will be interesting to see for how much a room goes at hilton.com for the GI and the new Maui property.
Those two properties will be far better than 5X.

Cheers

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi,
So here's a general question I haven't come across in my TUG searching:

How has HGVC surprised you (positively and/or negatively) over the course of your ownership -- and particularly when compared to your expectations before you bought in? Whether in terms of the overall program, the HGVC resorts, Open Season, RCI/SFX exchanges, etc. ...

Obviously a very general question to solicit feedback, but I'd be grateful for any responses as I research this gig!

Many thanks

We bought our first HGVC timeshare in 2003 via Resale. We bought HGVC for future stays at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) in Oahu. We love the point system flexibility with HGVC which allows owners the ability to reserve a room with a check-in any day of the week, at any resort, and stay for any number of nights (min 3 nts), in any room size depending on our vacation needs. We also learned how to maximize our usage.

We've had many wonderful trips with family and friends via our timeshares.
However with that said I never encourage my friends and family members to buy a timeshare. It's simply not for everyone.

Surprises with Timesharing in General

The one-time Purchase price is just one factor to consider. The ongoing ever increasing fees are just as important to consider (maintenance fees, club dues, reservation fees, banking fees, exchange fees, etc).

Lots of folks enter in timeshares without understanding the PROs and CONs. If you don't own a fixed week at a specific resort, you will most likely compete with lots of other timeshare owners when trying to book your stay. I sometimes compare the process to the children’s game of “musical chairs” where there are only a fixed number of units for any given week and sometimes way too many folks trying to compete for the same limited number of rooms at the same time.

Most families want to vacation during peak travel periods when the kids are out of school (holiday, spring & summer breaks and XMAS/NYE break) and/or want to visit peak travel destinations like beach resorts during peak summer season and ski resorts during peak winter season. High Demands areas and/or peak travel periods will be booked up first. So owners that can’t plan ahead in order to reserve a unit as soon as booking window begins, may not find availability during these peak travel times.

NOTE: Over built areas will have lots of availability such as Orlando and Las Vegas. Beachfront locations will book quicker than non-beachfront location. Centrally located resorts will book quicker than non-centrally located resorts.

Here's a link on what I learned about RCI over the years via TUG. It's not specific to HGVC. It works the same way regardless of which timeshare I use for a RCI exchange - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1702883&postcount=4

Not so nice HGVC surprises

(1) Increased Point Structure at the same locations (at one time there was one point structure for all resorts - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216583&postcount=12)
I'm amazed by the number of permutations HGVC has created with the newest Orlando resort (Parc Soleil) when we already had two under the older point structures.

(2) Different reservation windows (at one time the Club Reservation was 9 months before check-out for all resorts).
Now we have different reservation windows for places such as West57th, Hokulani and the new Grand Islander. These resorts provide a shorted booking window which means a smaller window of opportunity for making travel related arrangements such as taking advantage of airfare sale, car rental deals, etc.

(3) HGVC is always looking for new ways to make more money off existing members.
As a result, I haven't attended the so called "Owner Update" in years. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=311186&postcount=7

(4) Ignored HGVC Resort Maintenance Issues
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216787

(5) Disappearing HGVC Benefits (HHonors and Open Season Rental Rates)
The number of HHonors points required for a hotel stay has steadily increased over the years but the HGVC conversion rate has not changed since 2008.
Open Season Rental Rates has also steadily increased over the last few years. Just this past December, Hilton showed their long term intent for Open Season Rental Rates and it doesn’t look good for owners. I’m assuming in the long run, HGVC is hoping members will buy more points. I hope instead that HGVC members wise up and use their money elsewhere (beyond HGVC).
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220231
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221136

(6) Outrageous Resale Fees
The fact of the matter is that owners have no control over fees especially when the developer is in control. Over the last several years, HGVC has introduced new fees for new resale buyers and the fees have steadily increased.
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206968

(7) Sad Reservation System.
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202535
There was a letter in 2012 that new reservation system was coming but it never came - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199367
HGVC’s new Marketing Slogan “A vacation state of mind” seemed to be their primary focus instead of their 2012 commitment for an improved reservation system - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205363

Whatever you decide, don't put all of your future vacation dollars into timesharing. This will give you the flexibility in the future to choose the best way to visit your desired destinations. There might not be a timeshare at the location that you want to visit or if there is a timeshare it may be very hard to get an exchange. You may also want to visit a destination in an entirely different way via a cruise, hotel/resort stay, special discounted travel package, tour company, beach house rental, etc.

Last edited:

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We bought our first HGVC timeshare in 2003 via Resale. We bought HGVC for future stays at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) in Oahu. We love the point system flexibility with HGVC which allows owners the ability to reserve a room with a check-in any day of the week, at any resort, and stay for any number of nights (min 3 nts), in any room size depending on our vacation needs. We also learned how to maximize our usage.

We've had many wonderful trips with family and friends via our timeshares.
However with that said I never encourage my friends and family members to buy a timeshare. It's simply not for everyone.

Surprises with Timesharing in General

The one-time Purchase price is just one factor to consider. The ongoing ever increasing fees are just as important to consider (maintenance fees, club dues, reservation fees, banking fees, exchange fees, etc).

Lots of folks enter in timeshares without understanding the PROs and CONs. If you don't own a fixed week at a specific resort, you will most likely compete with lots of other timeshare owners when trying to book your stay. I sometimes compare the process to the children’s game of “musical chairs” where there are only a fixed number of units for any given week and sometimes way too many folks trying to compete for the same limited number of rooms at the same time.

Most families want to vacation during peak travel periods when the kids are out of school (holiday, spring & summer breaks and XMAS/NYE break) and/or want to visit peak travel destinations like beach resorts during peak summer season and ski resorts during peak winter season. High Demands areas and/or peak travel periods will be booked up first. So owners that can’t plan ahead in order to reserve a unit as soon as booking window begins, may not find availability during these peak travel times.

NOTE: Over built areas will have lots of availability such as Orlando and Las Vegas. Beachfront locations will book quicker than non-beachfront location. Centrally located resorts will book quicker than non-centrally located resorts.

Here's a link on what I learned about RCI over the years via TUG. It's not specific to HGVC. It works the same way regardless of which timeshare I use for a RCI exchange - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1702883&postcount=4

Not so nice HGVC surprises

(1) Increased Point Structure at the same locations (at one time there was one point structure for all resorts - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216583&postcount=12)
I'm amazed by the number of permutations HGVC has created with the newest Orlando resort (Parc Soleil) when we already had two under the older point structures.

(2) Different reservation windows (at one time the Club Reservation was 9 months before check-out for all resorts).
Now we have different reservation windows for places such as West57th, Hokulani and the new Grand Islander. These resorts provide a shorted booking window which means a smaller window of opportunity for making travel related arrangements such as taking advantage of airfare sale, car rental deals, etc.

(3) HGVC is always looking for new ways to make more money off existing members.
As a result, I haven't attended the so called "Owner Update" in years. http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=311186&postcount=7

(4) Ignored HGVC Resort Maintenance Issues
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216787

(5) Disappearing HGVC Benefits (HHonors and Open Season Rental Rates)
The number of HHonors points required for a hotel stay has steadily increased over the years but the HGVC conversion rate has not changed since 2008.
Open Season Rental Rates has also steadily increased over the last few years. Just this past December, Hilton showed their long term intent for Open Season Rental Rates and it doesn’t look good for owners. I’m assuming in the long run, HGVC is hoping members will buy more points. I hope instead that HGVC members wise up and use their money elsewhere (beyond HGVC).
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220231
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221136

(6) Outrageous Resale Fees
The fact of the matter is that owners have no control over fees especially when the developer is in control. Over the last several years, HGVC has introduced new fees for new resale buyers and the fees have steadily increased.
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206968

(7) Sad Reservation System.
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202535
There was a letter in 2012 that new reservation system was coming but it never came - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199367
HGVC’s new Marketing Slogan “A vacation state of mind” seemed to be their primary focus instead of their 2012 commitment for an improved reservation system - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205363

Whatever you decide, don't put all of your future vacation dollars into timesharing. This will give you the flexibility in the future to choose the best way to visit your desired destinations. There might not be a timeshare at the location that you want to visit or if there is a timeshare it may be very hard to get an exchange. You may also want to visit a destination in an entirely different way via a cruise, hotel/resort stay, special discounted travel package, tour company, beach house rental, etc.

So in your 12 years of ownership, you have never been pleasently surprised by HGVC or your timeshare?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'll always remember my first foray onto to the grounds of a HGVC resort as a guest of a relative. I remember thinking, "This is impressive! It's way better than any dinky hotel room I've been in." -- kind'a like how I felt when seeing Home Depot for the first time.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
So in your 12 years of ownership, you have never been pleasantly surprised by HGVC or your timeshare?

LOL, I did stated in my post above that "We love the point system flexibility with HGVC which allows owners the ability to reserve a room with a check-in any day of the week, at any resort, and stay for any number of nights (min 3 nts), in any room size depending on our vacation needs. We also learned how to maximize our usage. We've had many wonderful trips with family and friends via our timeshares. "

I guess it depends on your definition of "surprised".
I just had a conversation with my husband to get his thoughts on the topic of being "surprised by HGVC". We both agree that "surprised by HGVC" in our minds means that HGVC exceeded our expectations vs simply meeting our expectations.

Keep in mind, most of our HGVC points were used for stays at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We've also stayed at HHV as hotel guests prior to joining HGVC. In fact, we went to our first HGVC timeshare presentation while on vacation at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I found TUG and did my research before buying resale three years later. So I knew what to buy and what to expect from HGVC.

In the past twelve years, I can say for the most part that HGVC "met our expectations" otherwise we would have sold years ago. As indicated in my prior post, there have been times when they "fell below expectations". Sadly our most recent experience pushed us over the edge and we're currently trying to cutback on our HGVC ownership (from three deeded weeks to one deeded week by the end of the year).

We all have different reasons for owning a timeshare and different levels of tolerance. Remember one size doesn't fit all ;)

I hope this helps :)

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Thank you for your comments and insight, alwysonvac.

I think HGVC and Starwood are becoming quite similar in terms of fees, benefits etc. One has some pluses the other doesn't and vice versa.

As far as HHV goes, OMG, that Lagoon tower and its 'twin' has been there as long as I can remember, way back to when I was a little kid :D
They are old...too bad if they haven't kept up the maintenance :shrug:

freewill

TUG Member
Reaction score
As the OP, just a quick thank you to everyone for their thoughts on this thread. I very much appreciate your responses and have much to think about.

Cheers

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Lagoon Tower Twin?

Thank you for your comments and insight, alwysonvac.

I think HGVC and Starwood are becoming quite similar in terms of fees, benefits etc. One has some pluses the other doesn't and vice versa.

As far as HHV goes, OMG, that Lagoon tower and its 'twin' has been there as long as I can remember, way back to when I was a little kid :D
They are old...too bad if they haven't kept up the maintenance :shrug:

Could someone let me know where the Lagoon Tower "Twin" is, I'd like to stay there?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I guess it depends on your definition of "surprised".
I just had a conversation with my husband to get his thoughts on the topic of being "surprised by HGVC". We both agree that "surprised by HGVC" in our minds means that HGVC exceeded our expectations vs simply meeting our expectations.

I agree with your definition, though as a practical matter its probably more likely to be surprised in bad way than good, at least surprised enough to remember it later...

I can say that i am surprised how much i am enjoying my timeshare vacations, as it did change the way we travel.. With the Timeshare it has worked better to go to a single resort and stay for longer periods of time.. verses hotels where we often visited several cities only staying in each for a day or two.. The longer stays are definitely more relaxing..

However, when i think back to the "surprises" with HGVC, i tend to go with the negative items, such as how clunky and limited the on-line reservation system is. Coupled with the various fees associated with transactions such as making a reservation.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Could someone let me know where the Lagoon Tower "Twin" is, I'd like to stay there?

I don't follow the reference either, what's the Twin? Thx!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I believe the Lagoon Tower twin reference is the Rainbow Tower based on the reference "its 'twin' has been there as long as I can remember, way back to when I was a little kid"

HHV History - http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/about-the-resort/resort-history
From http://clubtraveler.hgvclub.com/where-go/walk-through-history-hilton-hawaiian-village

1968: Rainbow Tower® opens. It has the world’s largest ceramic-tile mosaic, with more than 16,000 tiles spanning 286 feet high by 26 feet wide on each end of the tower

600x413x1960,P27s,P20aerial_0.JPG.pagespeed.ic.zh2XYnrE1c.jpg

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I agree with your definition, though as a practical matter its probably more likely to be surprised in bad way than good, at least surprised enough to remember it later...

I agree :)

I do recall that we were pleasantly surprised when we first walked into a Lagoon Tower two bedroom penthouse unit and a three bedroom penthouse unit. The spacious living / dining room, long extended balconies and fantastic views were very impressive.

Two bedroom oceanview penthouse (2009) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=750506&postcount=11
Three bedroom oceanfront penthouse (2012) - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1263900&postcount=1

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I believe the Lagoon Tower twin reference is the Rainbow Tower based on the reference "its 'twin' has been there as long as I can remember, way back to when I was a little kid"

HHV History - http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/about-the-resort/resort-history

Hi yes, sorry to mislead anyone :eek:...I just couldn't remember the name of the other tower. The Rainbow and Lagoon towers are the two which I always remember seeing from Ala Moana beach park, right at the end of the beach curve by Magic Island. Just saw them in December....I always go to that beach when I'm in town... nothing special about the beach, just a place my friends and family usually went to. The towers & Ilikai hotel/condo are a straight shot as the crow flies from that beach end, but a lot farther by car :)

Winnie26

Reaction score
Difficult to book international resorts?

Thanks for everyone's comments on this post, they're very insightful. My husband and I bought into HGV a few days ago and now we're having second thoughts. We feel comfortable around the value of the points over the years, but our main concern is the ability to actually use your points where you want/when you want.

I've read many comments online of people saying they have a hard time booking the popular resorts. Is this due to people only having specific weeks they can travel due to school schedules? For those able to travel on off seasons, have you had trouble booking the resort you want? We were very interested in the international properties. Has anyone had experience with how easy or difficult it is to book in the international properties?

Jason245

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's comments on this post, they're very insightful. My husband and I bought into HGV a few days ago and now we're having second thoughts. We feel comfortable around the value of the points over the years, but our main concern is the ability to actually use your points where you want/when you want.

I've read many comments online of people saying they have a hard time booking the popular resorts. Is this due to people only having specific weeks they can travel due to school schedules? For those able to travel on off seasons, have you had trouble booking the resort you want? We were very interested in the international properties. Has anyone had experience with how easy or difficult it is to book in the international properties?

First, did you buy from developer or did you by resale? If from developer, RECIND immediately and save thousands of dollars by looking at the resale market AFTER you have done enough research to answer all your questions.

Second: Generally you can book most things at about 9 months out (and there is probably going to be availability) but if you own at the resort you can book your home week 12 months out. Peek travel times are the hardest to get (Think Xmas, national holidays, dates when kids are out of school etc..) Affiliated resorts will have more restricted availability and as such you can expect it to be harder to get those.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You only have one opportunity to RESCIND (time period vary by state)

Hi and Welcome to TUG :hi:

If you just bought from the developer a few days ago you might still have the ability to backout of your developer purchase (RESCIND) and save yourself thousands of dollars by buying your week on the resale market. You only have a specific number of days to rescind. The length of time varies by state ranging from 3 days to 15 days.

The only thing you lose by buying resale is the ability to earn HGVC Elite Status however this requires a minimum purchase of 14,000 HGVC points. Most Elite members will tell you the benefits are not worth it.

I suggest you look into RESCINDING first and give yourself some time to research on TUG to learn about HGVC and timesharing in general.

READ THIS TUG ARTICLE - "How do I Cancel my Timeshare Purchase?"
http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

I'm glad you found us :)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...My husband and I bought into HGV a few days ago and now we're having second thoughts.

(1) I hope you did not buy directly from HGVC and pay "full freight."
Many of did, but can tell you that, if you did and are still within the rescission period (stated in your contract), you should _Rescind Now_, before it's too late, and look into buying "resale" instead. HGVC is a flexible, consumer-friendly system, and resale buyers get eggsactly the same perks as retail buyers (only pts don't count for elite status), but pay ~30% of the retail price.

(2) If trying to make a club-reservation (276 days - 1 day out)...
High-demand resorts like Hawaii & NYC, require that you book close to start of your reservation window. Vegas & Orlando are easy to get into and do not require much advance planning ('cept for holidays). With foreign TS's, forget August - that's when Euros empty their cities. Otherwise, it pays to be flexible.

BTW, you should start a new topic when raising issues unrelated to the original post.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Hi Winnie26,

If you're past the rescind period, please come back and open a new thread as Talent312 suggested above.
We can help you understand the HGVC system so you can get the best usage out of your timeshare. There are lots of folks who bought from the developer. We just try to save others from making the same mistake. Most folks discover that they can buy a resale week with twice as many points and still save thousands over a developer purchase.

Here's a July 2014 poll that asked - "Did you buy your first timeshare from the developer or resale?"
It was basicaly a tie as of today (see below) http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214613
- Developer 101 (50.50%)
- Resale 99 (49.50%)

There are times when a developer purchase is the only option (for example a Fixed High Demand Week) but most folks are not allowed enough time to understand their options and make an informed decision. This is why we recommend rescinding first and learning which options are best for your specific situation.

Sadly some folks are mislead by the timeshare sales folks and we have to explain after it's too late. Here are some examples:
"HGVC point Conversion for Dynamic Travel" - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219510
"Timeshare Owner Newbie - VERY CONFUSE" - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193784

Here's one of many threads on TUG regarding tips on how to maximize your timeshare usage -
"Tips for maximizing HGVC - soliciting feedback" - http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195654

There's also a HGVC Overview article on the TUG advice board - http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/hilton-grand-vacation-club-timeshare-information.html

I hope you come back and join us on TUG :hi:

eacoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for Eagle's Nest information (post #19). I have considered it for a family gathering in summer but worried as it is RCI-managed. I have had some pretty sub-par customer service in the past with RCI, once having to cut losses and shorten vacation by two days. Will look for other beachfront.

Last edited: