• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costa Rica anyone?

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to Costa Rica and stayed in an exchange?

And...where the heck should I post about Costa Rica? It's not really the Carribean....

Thanks!!

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never been to Costa Rica so can't advise there, but I see postings for Costa Rica in the "Other International" section.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Been to Costa Rica and stayed at the Melia Paradisus in Guanacaste. Would definitely go back some time. Liked the resort and the little I saw of the country.

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Pat, did you see my post about the new resort down there? It looks pretty nice.

Did you rent a car or get a driver, or neither?

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I just saw the other post and I think I am going to look at booking there. I went 10 yrs ago. I did not get a car because I knew all the driving would be on my shoulders. If I went back, I probably would get a car so I could see more or at least do a couple of private tours.

DG001

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Costa Rica last year, but did not stay in a timeshare. Its an absolutely amazing country to visit.

Unless you are planning to tag on a timeshare stay at the beginning or end of the visit, I would not recommend timeshare for Costa Rica. Distances are deceptive as driving times are usually much higher than similar distances in the US, and if you are going to Monteverde or Arenal volcano - getting to/from tires you out because of the dirt road!

We decided to rent a car and drive ourselves from Monteverde to the coast - wow, that was some experience! There is no road to speak of, and no road signs - on the other hand, you follow a dirt road, and any splits off the main road usually terminated after a few buildings, so you could get back on track. My 8 year old daughter sitting in the back seat called the experience getting a "Costa Rican roller coaster". Absolutely beautiful scenery, and in some spots you feel like the only people on earth! Kind of scary with two little ones in the back, but a great memory afterwards!

Anyway, can't help you with timeshare info, but just wanted to say good luck on your trip, and post a trip report! Awesome place to visit.

PS - the major highways between other places were fine, its only Arenal to Monteverde, and Monteverde to anywhere that has no roads.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Pat, did you see my post about the new resort down there? It looks pretty nice.

?

Weirdly enough there is only one unit available on RCI. :eek:

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
We have stayed 2 x at Pueblo Real near Quepos and loved it. It is listed on rci.
We have rented cars and driven there with no trouble as long as a GPS is available.
Anita

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Several years ago we rented a house in the rainforest. As I recall, it was very reasonable.