• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Someone cashed a check I did not write from my bank account

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am always asked for ID at the branch in my new hometown except for today. I cashed a $26 check and wasn't asked. I also thank the tellers when they ask for ID.

Never put your outgoing mail in the mailbox outside your house for the mailman to pick up. That's just asking for trouble.

As annoying as it is when the tellers ask us for ID, it is for our own protection. I rather they ask too.

As far as putting mail outside of our house, I used to do it and people here do it all the time. I never gave it a second thought before.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would the bank not keep a copy of the cashed check? I think they would still save the image. Right now the transaction still shows pending so there is no image to view, but I am hoping it will be viewable tomorrow.

There may be no check copy to see. Is this not possibly a situation where someone cashed a check against your account? All you are seeing online is the $100 hold for the $100 check cashed. Could be a simple bank error. If the check clears, the hold drops.

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If this was cashed at the teller, then wouldn't the person be on video?

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My credit union didn't notice my Debit card was hacked until friends who traveled with us noticed it earlier, as it also happened to them and they notified us. Only then did I check my account and realize they got $8k from our account. I was amazed the credit union didn't notice multiple ATM charges from South America wipe out my checking, then wipe out my line of credit, then finally tap into my savings. (My credit card co. would have called us immediately.) Luckily, it was insured and I got it all back.

I don't trust the banks to watch for this, and ever since then, I am vigilent about checking my account transactions online. I realize bottom line I am responsible for this--it's just that I didn't expect it, to show up 6 months after our trip. But I guess the delay is pretty common as they sell the #s in batches as they accumulate them.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Muranjo - what was done about this? What did you have to do to get your money back?

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Muranjo - what was done about this? What did you have to do to get your money back?

I got all the money back as it was insured, and immediately changed my debit card password. No problems since. I immediately notified the credit union, they tracked the source to South America, and told me it was very unlikely they'd be able to track down the scammers. In fact they acknowledged this is not all that unusual and it is rarely pursued as the expense to nail these guys is just not worth it I guess.

My advice is to just be very careful of the ATM machines you use when traveling--best bet is to use a bank in the area.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I just woke up and logged into my checking account, and the transaction went through, it now says "WITHDRAWAL MADE IN A BRANCH/STORE" and there is nothing to view! And it looks like I am out of $100! I don't even understand why the transaction went through, if they said they closed the account (I can still see my account just fine). I have to go back into the branch today as soon as they open!

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
My husband was targeted on a check scam a couple of months ago. A guy called saying that he was from "Nationwide Security" and my husband's checking account information had turned up on the internet and if he verified the code (routing and account#) at the bottom of his checks they would remove the information from the internet. My husband said he didn't know anything about computers and turned the call over to me. I told they guy to give me a number to call him back and I'd call and check with our bank. He said he would need more information before he could give a number to call back. I said "No way". He got really agitated and agumentive and I hung up!!!!!!! Needless to say the bank confirmed that they were not associated with anything called Nationwide Security. The bank customer service rep said that since we didn't give any info just keep tabs on the account regularly to make sure the balance was ok, which we do anyway.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Your bank should replace the $100, once you fill out a statement of fraud.
Thery'll have to have some viewable evidence of the check in the bookeeping
department; something must have been presented for the withdrawal to be made.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I surely hope they have something to document this withdrawal! They should at least be able to tell at which Wells Fargo branch this happened, and have a withdrawal slip / signature / some documentation. It is puzzling how the description also changed from "TELLER CASHED CHECK #5416" to "WITHDRAWAL MADE IN A BRANCH/STORE". What happened to check #5416? :confused:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think this is lousy service from your bank - my credit union would have refunded the money the second I brought it to their attention. Have you escalated it to a manager?

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had this happen to my debit card twice, and two separate credit cards. On the occasions that it involved my credit union, they immediately reversed the charges against my account as well as the over draw fees. The two times it happened against my credit card, the fraud detection unit called me to see if I would authorize the charges, so the charges never got past the temporary authorization phase. One of those cards had already authorized two purchases not made by me and they reversed those on the spot. My daughter also had her credit union account hacked, and the credit union was a little less helpful with her (maybe an age thing) until they realized I ws in the next office doing the same thing with the same problem, then they reversed her unauthorized charges.

The takeaway is that the onus should be on the banking instititution to prove to you that they took your money legally, and less on you to prove to them that they did the wrong thing. If you are dissatisfied and do not get resolution with a manager, take your business elsewhere and let the bank president know why.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Did you pull your credit report? There may be an account with your name on it that you are not even aware of. Someone could have a credit account in your name, charge all kinds of things to it, and never pay more than the minimum balance until the account is maxed out. Then the payments stop coming, and you look like the bad guy.

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
Too bad I'm not still working or I would look into it for you. I retired from Wachovia/Wells Fargo where I spent 23 yrs as a Fraud Investigator. I don't know the Wells Fargo system but under Wachovia there has to be a trail. A straight w/d would have a paper withdrawal ticket. If it was a transfer there will be a report that can be accessed showing where the money went.

You are NOT out the $100. Tell the branch you want to file a fraud report. You will probably have to sign an affidavit and then the money will be refunded. On second thought call the Wells Fargo Fraud dept. at 800-869-3557 to make the report instead of calling the branch.

Let me know how you make out.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just walked out of the bank. They showed me on the screen the record of what they had - a money order for $100 made out of my account! Interestingly enough, that same day that this money order happened, I had gone to my local branch and did a cashier's check for $1,403 to QTCI Client Trust - I am closing on a Marriott platinum week and this was the final check. The bank rep said it is possible the teller made a mistake and used my account to process the transaction for the next customer, which could have been a money order for $100. I am not understanding how that could be, everyone must slide their card and show their ID! They promised they would find out by the end of the day today what happened.

Thanks all for the info - yes, my credit report is fine, I have actually just pulled an updated report with scores from all three Bureaus this morning! I wrote down the Wells Fargo fraud department number and if nothing gets resolved by my local branch today, I will call in!

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
I was amazed the credit union didn't notice multiple ATM charges from South America wipe out my checking, then wipe out my line of credit, then finally tap into my savings.
= why overdraft protection is not good

ive had an account that had savings with $5 and checking with $100, that had $700 overdraft protection, before i turned it off, which required signing a form. :rolleyes:

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
I just walked out of the bank. They showed me on the screen the record of what they had - a money order for $100 made out of my account! Interestingly enough, that same day that this money order happened, I had gone to my local branch and did a cashier's check for $1,403 to QTCI Client Trust - I am closing on a Marriott platinum week and this was the final check. The bank rep said it is possible the teller made a mistake and used my account to process the transaction for the next customer, which could have been a money order for $100. I am not understanding how that could be, everyone must slide their card and show their ID! They promised they would find out by the end of the day today what happened.

Thanks all for the info - yes, my credit report is fine, I have actually just pulled an updated report with scores from all three Bureaus this morning! I wrote down the Wells Fargo fraud department number and if nothing gets resolved by my local branch today, I will call in!

No matter how it happened, you should/will get your money refunded. You may not, however, find out exactly what happened.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bank rep said it is possible the teller made a mistake and used my account to process the transaction for the next customer, which could have been a money order for $100. I am not understanding how that could be, everyone must slide their card and show their ID! !

Sounds reasonable to me. You slide your card; they process your transaction; by mistake access to your account is not closed out; thus your account is still live for next transaction. If this is the case, they will quickly credit you for the $100.

George

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted.

I have had my cc compromised twice and last year when my son was sent for either random drug testing or physical at work, the hospital he went to said his social showed someone else's name. We were also advised to contact the three credit companies and also filed a police report.

Ask your son to check with social security to see where employer wages posted against his social security account and with the Division of Motor Vehicle to see if someone is using his SS#.

The most error's with social security number are the last four numbers.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been resolved! COMPLETE TELLER INCOMPETENCE! Here's the story. At the end of the day, the teller who did my cashier's check for $1,400 (for my Marriott Platinum Shadow Ridge week :D ) is $100 short. So he is thinking, oh wait, I think I know what happened, that cashier's check I did today was for $1,500 and not $1,400! So he pulls up my account, without calling me to verify if his recollection was true, and charges me an additional $100! Well guess what, my check was correct for $1,400 - and his recollection was wrong.

And here I am, two days later, thinking someone is withdrawing money from my checking account, perhaps having stolen my identity, running around to close my account, open a new one, order at my own cost new checks and a new card, changing my direct deposit at work, and stressing out!

Way to go Wells Fargo...

Thanks all for your support and feedback through this process. The good news is that nobody stole my personal information.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I am so relieved for you. Thanks for keeping us posted. Our daughter-in-law is a teller manager at Wells Fargo in Colorado, and I asked her at lunch today what she thought about your situation. She said you would never have to pay for a fraudulent transaction, you would definitely be reimbursed.

Pat H is great to give you such relevant info.

I will update our daughter-in-law. That was stupid of the teller to do.

ada903

TUG Member
Reaction score
The assistant manager promised he will take care of it and reimburse the $100. I faxed them a copy of my receipt for the cashier check which confirms it was $1,403 - the correct amount.

That teller needs retraining! :eek:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I'd been the OP, today would have been my LAST day with Wells Fargo! They took over my little bank here shortly after moving here. Within 6 months they had screwed up several times, so I waltzed my 3 little accounts across town to a handier bank where they know my name and greet me by it whenever I drop by.

My DW, a bankruptcy attorney has had a number of clients with WF mortgages that they can't show a paper trail that WF is even the holder of the Deed of Trust. They seem to have just printed off a bunch of blank papers with signatures, and no indication of what property or loan they belong to, and show up in BK court to claim foreclosure. On property they can't show claim to. Hah!

Happy that so far they seem to have satisfied you. Not sure if it would have gone far enough for me.

Jim Ricks

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
The assistant manager promised he will take care of it and reimburse the $100. I faxed them a copy of my receipt for the cashier check which confirms it was $1,403 - the correct amount.

The teller should be terminated. They retain copies of the certified check paperwork. The teller could have easily gone through that paperwork if there was a question. He must have violated a gazillion policies pulling up your account and assessing an additional $100 without your authorization.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

Sorry but, that teller needs to be looking for another job. A bank teller shouldn't have a personality that allows them to just make changes to someones account and still go home and sleep at night. In that position, when their drawer is short, then need to seek assistance from their boss to resolve the deficency.

At this point it could be that the teller needs retraining or, the teller isn't so hot at theft........yet. If I were a bank manager, this sort of transaction would have to lead the termination. I wouldn't trust that teller as a manager or as a customer.