• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sat Nav for US buy or rent?

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Booking car hire for Florida and the Sat Nav is expensive enough for a week so wondered would I be better buying one to have? If so any recommendations on where to buy (online) and what brand etc?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Can you use your Smart Phone?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use Nokia HERE which allows offline navigation worldwide ... you download all maps for florida before leaving home.... completely free.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can buy a Garmin or Tom Tom on Amazon for well under $100. If you have a device you use at home, you can get N.American maps on a chip on eBay for cheap.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Couldn't you just rent one through the rental agency?

We booked a car on our recent cruise stop in Rhodes Greece. I asked if they had GPS available and they acted like they didn't know what I was referring to. I later learned that they oft called it Sat Nav. We didn't book it nor need it anyway.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
yes the screen is smaller but they have voice command which is what you should be listening to anyway when you are driving. I wouldn't waste the money on a purchase or a rent

I have a question. If your phone, and service, are from another country, are there data charges to use it as a GPS type device when you are traveling internationally?

Also, if you do plan to use your phone as a GPS be sure you have a car "plug" or charger. We had to use my phone in this manner when our portable GPS went belly up. I wasn't prepared and it pretty much drained my phone.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I have a question. If your phone, and service, are from another country, are there data charges to use it as a GPS type device when you are traveling internationally?

Yes there are. We are on the Three network and our data and call plan allows us to use our allowance in the US for no additional charge however they recently changed the data allowance from unlimited to capped (2gb in my case).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
yes the screen is smaller but they have voice command which is what you should be listening to anyway when you are driving. I wouldn't waste the money on a purchase or a rent

Many stand alone units have voice command also and most of them provide turn by turn directions via voice. I still prefer a dedicated unit.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Got a modern phone? Android or iPhone? Then simply download the free app Waze and you're done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SherryS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also recommend the Waze app! Voice commands are loud and clear.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes there are. We are on the Three network and our data and call plan allows us to use our allowance in the US for no additional charge however they recently changed the data allowance from unlimited to capped (2gb in my case).

I also recommend the Waze app! Voice commands are loud and clear.

Again just to clarify the nokia HERE app allows full offline usage (meaning that NO data is used/required to use it - you download all maps and data before leaving home.

Waze is excellent but only if you have fast free data, which is often not the case for those travelling internationally

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd just rent it from the rental car company. You don't have to worry about a hand held, data usage, and if there is a problem, they are on the hook to fix it.

I don't know how much money you are talking about, but it shouldn't be more than $150 for the week.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'd just rent it from the rental car company. You don't have to worry about a hand held, data usage, and if there is a problem, they are on the hook to fix it.

I don't know how much money you are talking about, but it shouldn't be more than $150 for the week.

Have you priced them lately? A standalone unit is less than that. Of course, data isn't difficult to get these days, which is why an iPhone and Waze is the best solution for most people.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sure. I own one that I paid $129 with free lifetime maps about five years ago. They are similarly priced now.

My point is that the OP doesn't seem to have a use for one with US maps other than for this trip. They also said they don't want to use a smart phone.

Have you priced them lately? A standalone unit is less than that. Of course, data isn't difficult to get these days, which is why an iPhone and Waze is the best solution for most people.