• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What would you have done? (I was walked out of Disneyland Paris) very long!

jojo777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Write a letter to senior Disney executives and demand all of your money back for the passes. They should have guided you to a telephone to call you husband and clear it up. If you write this up and send it to Disney-They will make it right. I know it will never be right, but they will do their best and you will feel better about it.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, IMO Disney was completely in the wrong. They created the conflict by asking you for a ticket when you were sitting quietly on a bench, then they did not help you solve it by letting you make a call. There have been many times when we are traveling in a group of 4-5 people and one of us gathers all the admission tickets up to go get fast passes. So I know for a fact that people in our party have been without admission media for brief periods of time while in the park. ABSOLUTELY if this happened to me, I'd be livid.

It also should not be a requirement that one must carry a cell phone on them in order to be able to save oneself from Disney security.

I'd write to Disney & inform them of this insane treatment that you received. I'd in no way apologize for having become temporarily separated from your ticket/phone. If the annual passes will go unused, I'd ask for a refund of the difference between a single days admission and the AP price. I'd probably also ask for a pro-rated refund of 3hrs worth of wasted time while all this was sorted out, but heck that's me.

I'm pretty shocked by the TUGgers here telling you it's your fault, you got separated from your ticket for a few minutes. Sheesh, these things happen all the time. No WAY would I let Disney off the hook for this one.

H

I agree with H. If it were me I would be contacting Robert Iger.

Disney is normally very good at customer relations and this is a major gaffe.

A good consumer letter to a chairman should be 3 to 4 paragraphs. I would concisely explain situation and then tell him what I expect(refund AP's, extend AP's an extra year, etc). The key is to be concise. If you can name names that is good too(the security person's name for example).

You mention in your initial post you have had AP's for 10 years. I would tell Mr. Iger. That adds a lot to your story. He will have someone check it too.

Disney does not want bad publicity. They would prefer this thread to have a happy ending with you being a satisfied guest.

MabelP

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The guns would have scared me and shut me up very quickly.
I took this offline.

A note about the security checkpoints: These aren't the simple "open your bag for the Disney cast member" tables that you might be familiar with in the United States. They're airport-style luggage scanners through which all your bags and purses have to pass. And don't be surprised when you see uniformed French army soldiers toting rifles and walking around the checkpoints, either.

I would definitely write to Disney and outline what transpired. They really should know.

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me, it sounds as if they were in a high security alert situation. I would cut them some slack.

Could you imagine if there had been the warning of a potential threat, there had been an incident, and they had not taken extra precautions? That would have been a true scandal.

This is exactly what I have been considering, and as I mentioned before, I do understand and appreciate the extra precautions, especially when it is so busy as it was that day.
I am also very much keeping in mind that the Tsarnaev family was still ruling the news at the time.

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
How Disney COULD have reasonably handled this:
1. Wait with patron 15 min until his/her party returns
2. Remove patron to security office and allow a phone call
3. Remove patron from park, take the cell phone number of others in party and call them to inform of situation and location of the ticketless patron.

H

Yes, it would have been so much different if they had taken such an approach.

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
sml2181, I don't know your ethnicity so I have to ask, was this possibly racially motivated?

It seems strange that you would be approached unless the security person was in some way profiling. Then at least there may have been a reason, but not in any way a valid one.

As I stated earlier, you were in no way in the wrong, the security person was.

I am of Korean descent. I haven't lived in Korea for 36 years and if you would ask any Korean - they would tell you that I do not look like a Korean anymore. (Trust me - this has been asked many times.. :zzz:) They would tell you that I look either American or European, mostly depending on what continent they are most familiar with themselves.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
in a foreign country, I would have explained about my family and asked politely to wait for my spouse, but then immediately complied with what they said--including being ejected from the park, as expectations and reactions of workers, police, etc. could be very different than what we expect in the US. I would write a letter or email both to the customer service of Disney Corp., as well as the head of EuroDisney or whatever it is called. However, I would also chalk it up to not being prepared on my part (no ticket, ID, phone, cash) in a foreign country and be happy a kind German tourist let me use the phone that all ended relatively well. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip. If you have a moment, would you mind Pm me with your thought of vaux viscount chateau, as we will be at the marriott in aug and thought of going there instead of Versailles. Elaine

Last edited:

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I have been considering, and as I mentioned before, I do understand and appreciate the extra precautions, especially when it is so busy as it was that day.
I am also very much keeping in mind that the Tsarnaev family was still ruling the news at the time.

While this may be true, I would still write to Disney and explain what happened to you, in the same simple and uncomplicated terms that you did here on TUG. I think that you have a right to an explanation and at least an apology by Disney.

To not at least do that will always leave you wondering whether or not you did the right thing, if you simply let it be. You write well and can explain yourself in calm terms as you have done here. I would think Disney would respond to this type of letter from a very frustrated and upset consumer.

Now, on a side note. If this had happened here at Disneyland Park, I am sure there is a good possibility that the person who was treated like this would have already contacted the local media. :rolleyes:

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
The guns would have scared me and shut me up very quickly.
I took this offline.

A note about the security checkpoints: These aren't the simple "open your bag for the Disney cast member" tables that you might be familiar with in the United States. They're airport-style luggage scanners through which all your bags and purses have to pass. And don't be surprised when you see uniformed French army soldiers toting rifles and walking around the checkpoints, either.

I would definitely write to Disney and outline what transpired. They really should know.

Thank you for pointing out the differences. It is a completely different atmosphere - at least it felt completely different to me when I was there.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Definitely contact Disney to suggest they "improve" how these situations are handled.

I contacted Universal Orlando after an issue with one of their hotel transport buses.
After some back & forth, their transport director did these things:
1. Hire a public liaison & change procedures for communicating w/bus contractors.
2. Spot me a free day (not requested or expected).

Last edited:

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I would definitely write a letter. Not to ask for any compensation but hopefully to prevent it from happening to someone else.

Definitely bizarre that they wouldn't just take you to a security office and at least let you phone.

And I definitely agree about holding the passes. I carry my husband's stuff all the time. I'd hate to think that he might be ejected if I had to go to the bathroom and he was waiting for me.

It's all rather strange.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just for clarification, but I assume you speak French and spoke with security in French, correct?

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just for clarification, but I assume you speak French and spoke with security in French, correct?

Yes, we did speak in French at first. Then in English because she suddenly decided that she didn't want to speak French to me. But she didn't understand English at all. (I guess she was simply done with me and didn't wish to speak to me at all.) She spoke a different language to one of her co-workers, a language which I couldn't recognize. I did communicate in French with her other colleagues.

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to point out that in my first post, I have been trying not to put the blame on Disney alone as I perfectly understand the issues about carrying your stuff with you, and again, I do understand and appreciate security issues. I think I was trying to find out why it was bothering me and I think I get it now. :)

The 2 things bothering me most were the refusal to let me call DH, and the way we were both treated when he came to get me.

I am sure we would have tried to find a customer service rep or so had we been with the 2 of us, or with our own children. I decided that at that point it was more important to finish the day with our relatives. This day had been in the planning for over a year so you can imagine how excited some of the kids in our party had been.

The lady who walked me out looked very young to me. She may have gotten a little bit too enthusiastic, or maybe I did indeed fit a certain profile. The "attitude" at the fence did play a role (not wanting to speak to me anymore), as well as the armed guards.

The annual passes.
I think it should not matter how many tickets I bought, nor should it matter what ticket types I bought. I was regretting spending that money on Disney tickets because of the amount spent - which could have been used for many other things – and because it didn’t look like they were going to be used after all. I simply felt I had thrown away a lot of money and that was what was bothering me.

I will be writing my letter. I will point out what happened, I will ask about their policies about carrying tickets and about allowing phone calls. I will also inform them that I am not looking for financial compensation, but that I am trying to get a better understanding in what exactly happened (why was I approached in the first place?), hoping this will enable my family members to move on as well so that they will still enjoy their annual passes. And of course hoping that this will not happen to others. I will mention our own history of annual passes to illustrate that we have been quite loyal Disney customers (although not in France) hoping that this will make them look at it seriously and hoping to show that my intentions are good. If I receive a reply, I will let you know.

All of you have enabled me to put things in (my own) perspective. I simply had not allowed myself the time to think things over thoroughly enough and your comments made me do just that.

So thank you all so much for your thoughts and comments, thank you all for your kind words!

Back to more important things in life. Which Hawaiian Island should I pick for our next trip? (Kidding!)

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to let the french push you around like this then be very careful travelling to a 3rd world country. In a show of support I will boycott Euro Disney.

Also write the letter. Put your energy to that instead of letting the situation bother you.

You and your family may want to boycott Disney as well.

sml2181

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to let the french push you around like this then be very careful travelling to a 3rd world country. In a show of support I will boycott Euro Disney.

Also write the letter. Put your energy to that instead of letting the situation bother you.

You and your family may want to boycott Disney as well.

I am not sure what you mean - I have been in 3rd world countries. I could imagine things happening at certain places. It just never occurred to me this could happen to me while visiting Disney.

Please do not boycott them for what happened to our family - I hope you meant something else.

taffy19

Reaction score
I would write a letter to the Head Office and explain how upset your children were and that you should have been offered a phone so that you could have talked to your husband or they should have taken you to a security office, where there is a phone, but not make you leave the park.

A good company will respond and try to make it better for the next visitor and may even give you a rebate of the money you spent or give you an extension for your yearly passes or send you a letter of apology, at least.

I never carry tickets with me for any event we go to. My husband does but may from now on as I also ran into a similar situation but that was taken care of properly and with respect to the visitor. I couldn't prove that I had paid for something until my husband came back but they let me stay next to the line until he came back and we got the tickets immediately. This was inside The Polynesian Cultural Center.

My family in Holland will not visit Disney because they claim that the staff is not very friendly towards their visitors. I have never been there so do not know if this is true.

I was on a train once between Germany and Holland and we were stopped for a very long time. The person in charge let everyone use his cell phone to make a call if the person didn't have a phone. I call that service.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely write a letter. Not to ask for any compensation but hopefully to prevent it from happening to someone else.

From what little I know of you from reading your posts, this suggestion from BevL seems like the most appropriate response.

More importantly, you should reinforce with yourself that this was not your fault. Sure, things would have gone differently if you'd had your ticket and your phone, but that in no way excuses the treatment you received.

As others have stated, Disney is a stand-up company and I'm sure they'll treat you with respect if you write in and voice your concerns with the security guard's actions in that situation.

Park safety is important, but jeopardizing the safety of a paying customer by leaving them outside the gates with no money/phone in a foreign country is highly unacceptable.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
While there are important cultural and other differences between what we consider acceptable here and what you find in other countries this goes beyond any rational handling of what seems to be an "incident" that wasn't. To me it reflects the terrible changes in attitude that has ruined what used to be the magical Disney experience. It isn't all security issues - it is a culture change from pleasing the guests to the company bottom line being king. It's an extreme, and likely rare, example of why we avoid the high handed attitude of Disney today. I prefer to recall fondly the glory years when the guest was king, prices were within a typical families regular budget and the technology wowed. All three changed for the worst and it isn't getting better as more time goes by.

spencersmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm usually one to see both sides of an issue and "forgive and forget" an incident, but I think you actually need to take this incident a little more seriously. What if it had been your teenage daughter or niece sitting on the bench instead of you? My kids often wait for me on a bench or jump on a ride without me. Their passes are kept "safely" in my purse so they don't get lost while they are on the rides. You are well-traveled and multi-lingual and it was still very scary for you and your family. Imagine that happening to a 13, 14, 15 year old in a foreign country. At the very least, Disney needs multiple, easy to read signs stating passes must be kept on each person for security reasons and those without a ticket will be removed from the park. You had no warning it was even a possibility in that situation.

I personally would also send a copy of the letter to both the Paris office and to the main offices in Florida. Maybe the corporate offices don't know this is happening.

Like you, I have had year passes for many years to Disney World. My daughter really, really wants to go to the Paris Disney, but this story has put serious concerns in my mind about going now.

CarolF

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a frightening experience.

I think a letter to Disneyland Paris is appropriate and a letter to Direction Départementale de la Concurrence, de la Consommation et de la Répression des Fraudes (department of consumer rights organization) also.

France doesn't have the same business practices, customer service and customer rights as the US and I can't see what the Disney US office has to do with Disneyland France. I doubt they would have any influence on each other but the US office may be sympathetic (and give you something free :shrug:). Sending them a copy of your letters wouldn't hurt I guess.

These days it is prudent to request and write down the full name and employee number of any person representing an organisation before taking direction from them. I hear the French Tourist Police is very helpful. It is frightening that it seems you were targeted. You didn't wear or carry something identifying your nationality did you? (BTW I don't know your nationality but I'm assuming you are fully aware of the unpopular nationalities in France :ignore:).

Last edited:

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As several others here have said, it is common for Disney guests to give their theme park tickets to a family member to get Fastpasses. So, I don't see why you should need to have a ticket with you.

In some countries, tourists are required to always have their passport. So, that could be an issue. Still, I think Disney security behaved very badly here.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Your plan of action as described in post 39 is the most appropriate and mature.

Cheers

Rene McDaniel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
sml2181,

I think it would be a mistake to say in your letter that you do not want financial compensation. Disney execs might read your letter and think "oh, that's awful, we should reimburse them for their tickets or annual passes. Oops. Never mind, she just wants an apology." So, for you to say in the letter all you want is an apology? No way! A simple "sorry" would not be fair or adequate compensation for what you, your panicked husband, your crying children, and your relatives suffered for several hours.

The poor behavior of the security guards that day had a very detrimental affect on your family no longer wanting to go to Disney or use the actual passes. As you said yourself, that is money out of your pocket (quite a lot, I might add). I think that if you feel you will not return to Disney Paris, you should ask for a full refund of the annual passes you purchased, because you will not be going back after such a horrible experience caused by the security staff. Even if there was a "High alert", it is still no excuse for rudeness or mistreating paying customers.

Another reason I think it's important to ask OUTRIGHT for financial reimbursement is --- your actions are setting an example for your children. It teaches them that when you are treated badly, a letter should be written to the higher ups, and you should be refunded or compensation. I think it is a valuable life lesson.

My daughter and I purchased advance tickets to one of the Very Merry Christmas Party nights, and it poured rain for 4 straight hours that night. There was no parade, no Santa, no hot cocoa -- it was really depressing. After I got home, I wrote a letter, and they were kind enough to send me two 1-day park passes for our next visit. My daughter was so happy that Disney had done their best to make it right. But now that she is 19, I see that the most important life lesson is that now she stands up for herself, too.:banana:

Last edited:

l2trade

TUG Member
Reaction score
This story does not make sense to me. No proper Disney or security protocols appear to have been followed. It sounds like a rogue employee, possible discrimination. A letter should definitely be written. It is important to clearly describe the chronology, locations and describe the employee(s) involved. A situation like this could have ended very badly. Disney needs to investigate the employees involved and/or take other steps so this does not happen again.

I routinely carry all the important papers, ID, money, phone, etc for my wife & kids when we are at Disney Parks USA. My clothes have much better pockets and my wife doesn't want to run around the parks with a purse. We will continue to do that. The OP did nothing wrong by waiting on a bench inside the park without papers. She should not blame herself. What happened to her is outrageous and unacceptable.

If security felt she was a terror threat, she should have been detained with police involved and phone calls / other secure efforts made to identify other possible members of her party. Clearly she was no terror threat in their minds.

If security felt she was trespassing, then reasonable steps should have been taken to verify her version of events. Again a phone call and attempts to contact the other member of her party.

In the US parks, if one is caught trespassing, you will be taken backstage and processed. Trespassing is enforced by catching one in the act, not by routinely asking people inside the parks for papers. People caught trespassing may be questioned, possibly prosecuted and 'banned for life'. Disney takes the time to properly gather facts and details. A Disney Park is not a movie theater with an unmanned exit or a train with a late ticket taking conductor.