• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Comparing Exchange Companies

spthomas

Reaction score
I've been deciding which exchange company to use going forward. I'm a member of 3 now; RCI, RTX, and DAE. So I did a quick sample to see how they compared. Here are the results:

SAMPLE: October 2014 available weeks for ARK, MO, NM

DAE: 2 Resorts, 2 units total available

RTX - 2 Resorts, 9 units total available

RCI - 13 resorts, 77 units total available

The numbers are pretty stark. RCI by far has the most. And RTX, though they have 9 units, they are all with Festiva-owned resorts (Festiva owns RTX).

So, what does this tell us? And why the differences; RTX and DAE supposedly have availability everywhere, while RCI is only for contracted resorts. But they have the most!

Any ideas on this? And any other exchange companies I should check out?

Steve

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The explanation is really simple: The 2 major exchange companies are RCI and Interval International. The vast majority of resorts are contractually affiliated with one or both of these companies, which means, the vast majority of resorts do bulk space banking with one or both of these resorts EXCLUSIVELY.

The independent companies, by and large, do not receive bulk space banking, except maybe from a handful of small resorts - they only receive one-by-one deposits from owners. Therefore, they only have a fraction of the inventory that II and RCI do.

What exchange company you choose is really based on 2 factors:

1) Which company will give your deposit the strongest trading power.
2) Where do you want to go?

spthomas

Reaction score
Aha! I wondered how it could be so different. So I guess this bulk space banking is the unsold inventory for the resorts? I can see how that makes a lot of difference!

The issue I've been dealing with is of course cost (RCI is getting pricey and has membership and hefty exchange fees). But the trading value is the biggie. Now, for example, I have a week left and I'm late in the year. RCI will discount my trading power a lot to bank this late. Others don't seem to use this timing method, a week is a week is a week, I think.

These smaller exchange companies tell it like this: "what you see when you search isn't the real story. Once you bank and call for an excange, we'll get on the phone and find you a resort for the week and area you want". How does THAT work out? Is it true then that the bulk of what they can provide is not listed?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No, bulk space banking is when the resort makes the deposits - not the owners. It can include owner's inventory, unsold inventory, inventory that owner's have traded in for points, etc.

With many of the big resort systems, the owner cannot directly make their own deposit - the resort management company controls it.

Once you bank and call for an excange, we'll get on the phone and find you a resort for the week and area you want". How does THAT work out? Is it true then that the bulk of what they can provide is not listed?

It has been my experience, that the independents cannot come up with high demand resorts in prime season - they just don't get that kind of inventory.

In general, you won't get the prime Hotel affiliated resorts through them, like Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt, Disney, Marriott, etc.

The independents tend to have low and mid-range resorts, in areas with lots of inventory.

eschjw

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oakmont
DAE Weeks turn into bonus weeks 60 days out

I've been deciding which exchange company to use going forward. I'm a member of 3 now; RCI, RTX, and DAE. So I did a quick sample to see how they compared. Here are the results:

SAMPLE: October 2014 available weeks for ARK, MO, NM

DAE: 2 Resorts, 2 units total available

RTX - 2 Resorts, 9 units total available

RCI - 13 resorts, 77 units total available

The numbers are pretty stark. RCI by far has the most. And RTX, though they have 9 units, they are all with Festiva-owned resorts (Festiva owns RTX).

So, what does this tell us? And why the differences; RTX and DAE supposedly have availability everywhere, while RCI is only for contracted resorts. But they have the most!

Any ideas on this? And any other exchange companies I should check out?

Steve

Most DAE exchange weeks become available as discounted bonus weeks that can be rented for as little as $99 at 60 days from check in. The most expensive week left in October is a 3 bedroom for $299. They discount them heavily to move them. Why use an exchange?

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What resort do you own, and where/when do you want to go?

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
RCI with around 4 million members is probably larger than all others combined.

With all Wyndham UDI owners being forced to pay minumin $118 POA fee which includes "free" membership they can get away with outrageous fees which provide an umbrella for smaller guys.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading Places can also be useful

Lately I have also been depositing into Trading Places. They are easy to work with, also give you a bonus week if you join their Exchange club. They have more winter inventory in Park City than either II or RCI.