• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] How risky is it to rent from an exchange?

TSfun1

TUG Member
Reaction score
My renter will give me guest certificates for RCI Wyndam Las Vegas. I understand you are not supposed to tell the staff you're renting and that you're just guests of the owner. Is that correct?

What would happen if the staff finds out that you're actually renting?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It depends on how far they want to take it. My understanding is you/they can be evicted, you can lose your deposit, and if/when they tell the exchange company, your account can be cancelled.

I have never done this, but I "suppose" you could let your "friend" use your deposit. If they gave you a "thank you gift" privately, nobody would really know about it. Maybe. But I think you'd still need a Guest Certificate for them to use your time.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

Last year I arranged a private exchange with another Tugger. I wanted to get into a very hard-to-exchange-into resort, and she arranged for that to happen. In return, I arranged a couple of weeks of exchanges, with Guest Certificates, for her to use. No actual money changed hands, but we both got what we wanted. it worked well, and I was very grateful she was so willing to help me out.

Dave

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
My renter will give me guest certificates for RCI Wyndam Las Vegas. I understand you are not supposed to tell the staff you're renting and that you're just guests of the owner. Is that correct?

What would happen if the staff finds out that you're actually renting?

Why would you want to rent, or do any financial transaction, with a dishonest person? Whether you are renting to or from, it's a dishonest transaction; one you are knowingly going into. Is a week in Vegas worth your integrity?

End of soap box.

Sue

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
My renter will give me guest certificates for RCI Wyndam Las Vegas.
Are you sure this is an RCI guest certificate? Wyndham also requires GCs when owners are not personally staying in their units---and renting from a Wyndham owner is perfectly legit.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Are you sure this is an RCI guest certificate? Wyndham also requires GCs when owners are not personally staying in their units---and renting from a Wyndham owner is perfectly legit.

Pretty sure it's not, or this wouldn't be necessary:
I understand you are not supposed to tell the staff you're renting and that you're just guests of the owner.

getaways

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little strong?

Why would you want to rent, or do any financial transaction, with a dishonest person? Whether you are renting to or from, it's a dishonest transaction; one you are knowingly going into. Is a week in Vegas worth your integrity?

End of soap box.

Sue

I think this is a little strong. I bet 80%+ of people got into their timeshare on lies. I know when I bought my first timeshare I was told about exchanging for a week in Hawaii and renting it out and how much money I could make. I don't think people should be running a mini business making profits by renting out an exchange but if you are able to take care of part of your maintenance fees I think that makes sense.
Not that I would ever do this :ponder:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I think this is a little strong. I bet 80%+ of people got into their timeshare on lies. I know when I bought my first timeshare I was told about exchanging for a week in Hawaii and renting it out and how much money I could make. I don't think people should be running a mini business making profits by renting out an exchange but if you are able to take care of part of your maintenance fees I think that makes sense.
Not that I would ever do this :ponder:

When you exchange, you agree to the exchange company's terms which include not renting them out. To use the lies told by developers to excuse this behavior is ridiculous. They aren't involved in this transaction in any way.
You either have integrity or not. Making excuses for bad behavior doesn't make it any better. Doing business over the internet involves a certain level of trust and if the person on the other end has demonstrated a willingness to ignore the written terms of the exchange company, why wouldn't they do the same thing to me? How can I be sure the rental will be as discussed and agreed to? I can't, especially given the risk that the exchange company will catch on and cancel the reservation. So both on a practical and ethical level, I wouldn't touch this.

And the old saying 'two wrongs don't make a right' is still very true; honesty may be old fashioned but it's still the best policy.

Sue

dundey

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - BLT & WLV, Cliff Club, Bolton Valley, Morritt's, Sudwala
And of course the integrity of RCI is impeccable!

Just having some fun here, but I don't see renting an exchange as a big deal. Especially since RCI has changed the playing field so often. People have their reasons - can't use an exchange they made, etc. I know its against RCI's rules, but if there is anyone here that has not bent the rules at least once in their lives I'd be a bit surprised!

And let's face it, there is not much difference in doing that or giving it to a friend or family member to use. Unless it's Disney they are most likely losing money through renting as compared to what was paid on the maint. fees and RCI is still getting their money for the exchange AND the guest Cert.

I guess what I'm saying is that it is not legal but should be. But of course that is a whole other discussion...

When you exchange, you agree to the exchange company's terms which include not renting them out. To use the lies told by developers to excuse this behavior is ridiculous. They aren't involved in this transaction in any way.
You either have integrity or not. Making excuses for bad behavior doesn't make it any better. Doing business over the internet involves a certain level of trust and if the person on the other end has demonstrated a willingness to ignore the written terms of the exchange company, why wouldn't they do the same thing to me? How can I be sure the rental will be as discussed and agreed to? I can't, especially given the risk that the exchange company will catch on and cancel the reservation. So both on a practical and ethical level, I wouldn't touch this.

And the old saying 'two wrongs don't make a right' is still very true; honesty may be old fashioned but it's still the best policy.

Sue

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Comparing apples to oranges...

I bet 80%+ of people got into their timeshare on lies. <snip>

We don't "exchange" at all any more, nor have we ever been on either end of renting an exchange. Accordingly, I certainly have "no dog in this fight" --- and never did.
That being said however, I would point out a noteworthy, important, factual (and legal) distinction in two very different situations at issue here:

1. The oral nonsense and drivel from hungry, lying timeshare sales weasels is just non-binding hype, with no legal meaning or any potential consequences, spewed into the air as may be necessary to "close the deal". This is unfortunate and despicable, but completely irrelevant to the separate issue of improperly renting exchanges.

2. The prohibition against renting exchanges, unlike orally expressed and non-binding sales weasel fabrications and assertions, is very plainly stated in black and white, with clear potential consequences (denial of occupancy and / or forfeiture of deposit(s) and /or exchange company membership), clearly identified within the written and openly published terms and conditions of membership in both RCI and II.

One (...and only one) situation of the two mentioned above is crystal clear, with sharp teeth and potential serious consequences, announced in advance and in writing.

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The risk is only to the person with the exchange program membership, not to the renter.

Example, RCI terms are:
The Program may not be used by a Member or guest for commercial purposes, or monetary or other consideration, including without limitation,
auction, barter, rental, raffle or sale of a Confirmed Exchange, Deposited Vacation Time, Inventory or Guest Certificate, for example, and RCI reserves the right to limit the number of transactions by a Member.. Such use is grounds for immediate termination of Member’s membership pursuant to these Terms and Conditions.

Here on TUG the discussion is always about rentals but it's worth noting that the rules apply to things like barters and raffles. It seems crazy to me that they'd want to prevent people from booking vacations through RCI in order to use them as prizes in raffles for charity, but that's how it appears.

comicbookman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The risk is only to the person with the exchange program membership, not to the renter.

Example, RCI terms are:

Here on TUG the discussion is always about rentals but it's worth noting that the rules apply to things like barters and raffles. It seems crazy to me that they'd want to prevent people from booking vacations through RCI in order to use them as prizes in raffles for charity, but that's how it appears.

I would think the rules against raffles are to avoid people using raffles as a way around the renting ban.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's lots of risk to the renter.

Example, RCI terms are:

If the exchange company finds out and cancels the Member's exchange, the renter will not have accommodations.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the exchange company finds out and cancels the Member's exchange, the renter will not have accommodations.

Exactly so --- and there may very well be no refund willingly issued by the "outed" would-be landlord either, so there is risk of lost money and lost accommodations.

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
The prohibition against renting exchanges, unlike orally expressed and non-binding sales weasel fabrications and assertions, is very plainly stated in black and white, with clear potential consequences (denial of occupancy and / or forfeiture of deposit(s) and /or exchange company membership), clearly identified within the written and openly published terms and conditions of membership in both RCI and II.

I have an exchange into Hawaii coming up in 3 weeks. It looks pretty clear now that I won't be able to go so I can't use that exchange. I can re-exchange back into my home resort (as I am in the 60 day window) but I can get into my home resort anytime. I have a friend who has Hawaii on his bucket list and I would like to offer it to him before I turn it back in. Can I change the name on the reservation to another name? Can I call II and ask them to change it and call it a guest certificate with his name on it or will they assume I am renting it and say no? Do I have not other choice if I can't go but to exchange back into my home resort....and yes if I could change the name on the reservation, he would be giving me a little something for it but that would be between the two of us as we are friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmarine

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can purchase a Guest Certificate for your friend from II. Its prohibited to rent an exchange but giving to a friend is fine.

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
So can I call II and ask them to change the name on the resort confirmation that I already have and tell them that since I can't go I am giving it to a guest?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
So can I call II and ask them to change the name on the resort confirmation that I already have and tell them that since I can't go I am giving it to a guest?

No - you have to pay for a guest certificate. Log on to your II Acct., click on the exchange, and you will see a link to pay for a guest certificate.

Last edited:

amanven

TUG Member
Reaction score
No - you have to pay for a guest certificate. Log on to your II Acct., click on the exchange, and you will see a link to pay for a guest certificate.

I have a platinum membership so have never paid for a guest certificate since I went platinum but I get what your are saying. I can redesignate my exchange as a guest certificate.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a platinum membership so have never paid for a guest certificate since I went platinum but I get what your are saying. I can redesignate my exchange as a guest certificate.

You still go through the same steps to "buy" a guest certificate, the charge will be zero.

Last edited: