• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bad fires in San Diego County!!! Call resort before coming

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have any timeshare reservations for this next week, call your resort and be sure everything is ok. We have seven huge fires with homes burning right and left -- especially Rancho Bernardo. The winds are horrendous so they cannot fly the airplanes to help put out the flames. Weatherman says another 2 days of same thing!

One of our TV reporters, Larry Kimmell, has lost his home and Del Mar Racetrack is full of animals from inland locations. This is the worse fire in San Diego history.

BevL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I heard that most of Ramona had been evacuated? Aren't there a few resorts there? Can't remember the names.

TravelSFO

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have four families (family members) with homes in the area. So far, none of the homes have been affected but all have been evacuated. One family says the fire is within a half mile of their home.

CBS8 has a list of homes that have been taken by the fire so far: http://www.cbs8.com/

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I heard that most of Ramona had been evacuated? Aren't there a few resorts there? Can't remember the names.

Yes, the whole town has evacuated. They mentioned Ramona Country Estates, is that the timeshare?

Fletcher921

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Mission Hills, CA;
Los Abrigados, AZ;
The Whaler, HI;
Playa Del Sol Costa Sur, MX;
Westgate Park City, UT
Ramona Country estates is a housing area - not the timeshare...

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The timeshare is San Diego County Estates...but it is located in Ramona. Also, Riveria Oaks Resort.

TerriJ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just flew home from San Diego today. We were at Carlsbad Seapointe Resort for the past four days. We were in San Diego yesterday and rode the train and bus back up to Carlsbad. The smoke was really bad at the Solana Beach station where we caught a bus. Skies were clear in Carlsbad, but you could see the smoke in the distance.

I'm sorry to hear about this for the California people, animals, and land.

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
Too crazy. We have the cars and boat loaded up if we get a mandatory evac call.

Stressy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too crazy. We have the cars and boat loaded up if we get a mandatory evac call.

Been there, done that earlier this year. Put your cars on the street and board up your outside vents so the embers can't get in. Most homes are destroyed from the inside out. STAY SAFE!

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether the resort is directly affected, you should stay away because of the very bad air quality. I live in the Temecula Valley which is about 30 miles north of Escondido. We have no fires in our area but the air is terrible. I awoke this morning to a thick coat of ash and soot on everything.

You will also be restricted from traveling around.

ava

Reaction score
I live in So. Orange County. The air quality is terrible. I live about 5 miles from the Orange County part of the fire. People should stay away from this area for awhile. I heard that the interstate 15 is closed so if people are supposed to go to Lawrence Welk that is out.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My long anticipated week at San Clemente Inn (SCI) is/was this week wouldn't you know. San Clemente is sort of an island between the San Diego Fires and the OC fires and the area has seen alot of evacuee's from San Diego which has 300,000 people evacuated from their homes.

SCI mangement called the owners in our units to say that IF we were planning to leave early they've got lots of evacuee's who could use the room. After two nights at the resort, my concious got the better of me and we checked out this morning to make room for those who need it. There was a waiting list this morning for available rooms and at least two seniors waiting there had slept in their cars last night. My home is 90 minutes from the resort and frankly I will sleep better knowing that I'm not taking up space better served by someone in need.

For those who aren't too hot on SCI, know that they are slowly updating the units. We were in 201 and they've nicely refreshed that wing with new paint, carpets, furniture, refaced the cabinets and replaced the sink, counter tops with solid surfaces and have gone to a respectble brown on cream color scheme. There are also new appliances too. Doesn't make one inch more of space but having stayed recently in an older room, the make over is very pleasing.

borntotravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
SCI mangement called the owners in our units to say that IF we were planning to leave early they've got lots of evacuee's who could use the room. After two nights at the resort, my concious got the better of me and we checked out this morning to make room for those who need it. There was a waiting list this morning for available rooms and at least two seniors waiting there had slept in their cars last night. My home is 90 minutes from the resort and frankly I will sleep better knowing that I'm not taking up space better served by someone in need.

That was very nice and considerate of you, I think I would have had to do the same. I live on the east coast, but have been keeping up with the situation. It is so very, very sad. My heart and prayers go out to all of those affected by those horrible fires. I pray that they are out soon.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

sage

TUG Member
Reaction score
To all those of you affected by the fires I really feel for you.
We have similar blazes nearly every year in Australia and many homes are lost. It is really heartbreaking to see homes go up in flames. It happened to one of our friends a few years ago and you wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy.

Does anyone know if the fires are near the Marriott Newport Coast Villas?. We are booked in there next year.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No fires anywhere near the Marriot Newport Villas but the smoke from the fires east of it in Irvine have pretty much blanketed the area for several days.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the fires are near the Marriott Newport Coast Villas?. We are booked in there next year.

As UWSurfer told you, the fires are nowhere near Newport.

For reference, the only fire that was close to the Pacific was the Malibu fire. All the other fires are inland and away from the coastal areas of CA. But we still see and smell the smoke here.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own at Welk in Escondido and parts of Escondido have been evacuated as has Ramona and now Julian.
Liz

taffy19

Reaction score
No fires anywhere near the Marriot Newport Villas but the smoke from the fires east of it in Irvine have pretty much blanketed the area for several days.
We are staying at the Laguna Surf in Laguna Beach and saw the cloud of smoke of the Malibu fire over the ocean on October 21, 2007 at 6.31 PM.

212313499-S.jpg

Yesterday, we saw another cloud of fire coming from the other direction which may be the Santiago fire or yet another one.

212313512-S.jpg

We have to drive home every night and when we reach the end of Laguna Canyon, where the San Diego freeway crosses, we can see the Santiago fire on the ridge of the mountain just like this picture here but from farther away. The ashes and air are bad at home as well as at our resort. Two days ago, we had to stay inside all day and leave the doors and windows closed because of the smoke and ashes flying around and it was very hot.

Last edited:

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a voluntary evacuation where we went to Orange County to be with family. On the way south on I-5 near Camp Pendleton we saw about six small fires. The streets are littered with dirt and the sky is still smoky but all is ok in Carlsbad :)