• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting at Westin Ka'anapali Villas

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a rental at Westin Ka'anapali Villas for my nephew. Can anyone give me some advice on what is a fair price to pay for a studio or one bedroom (preferably)? They're going April of 2015.

Thank you.
Debi

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd expect to pay $1,500-$2,500 depending on view. With some work, you may be able to find something for less. This year, the Maui rental market has been very strong.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
There is tons of availability on Redweek. Most are asking around $2k for a 1 bdrm, about 25% less for a studio.

If it's just a couple, I'd be very content in a studio v. a 1 bdrm. I'd target either OF on the south side or any view on the north side because I'd want a lanai.

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is tons of availability on Redweek. Most are asking around $2k for a 1 bdrm, about 25% less for a studio.

If it's just a couple, I'd be very content in a studio v. a 1 bdrm. I'd target either OF on the south side or any view on the north side because I'd want a lanai.

Thank you -- yes, he was on Redweek this morning. This is a really special trip for his parents -- so he's really hoping for a view :wave:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
When I look into rentals for others at WKORV/N - I suggest to them to use RedWeek, and renting from someone that owns there as they can reserve during HomeResort period >8 months out and get best villa locations - over SVN exchanges and II. (There are lots of people renting WKORV that used SOs from another resort, but apparently SVO/SVN doesn't care...)

Price may depend on which week in April - such as Easter Break.
For comparison, I consistently rent our OF studio at south WKORV (via RedWeek) for ~$1,850 - which is on low side - usually during July 4th week.

Since we use our villa kitchen - I would rent a 1Bd if it were me - as I do not like sleeping in same room as kitchen.

mikey0531

TUG Member
Reaction score
that used SOs from another resort, but apparently SVO/SVN doesn't care...)

Price may depend on which week in April - such as Easter Break.
For comparison, I consistently rent our OF studio at south WKORV (via RedWeek) for ~$1,850 - which is on low side - usually during July 4th week.

Thank you. What does SOs mean? I did suggest they not travel during Easter as they would pay more.

Thank you.
Debi

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thank you -- yes, he was on Redweek this morning. This is a really special trip for his parents -- so he's really hoping for a view :wave:

As he is >8 months out - he can get a rental from an Owner where WKORV/N is their Home Resort and get a better view than others (SVN and II exchangers). I would recommend renting the view-type to better assure they get a premium view - instead of leaving it up to hope and luck at check-in (that is already involved even for HomeResort Owners).

IMO (for a HomeResort rental) -

For a studio (view-wise):
OF Center WKORV
OF WKORVN
OF Deluxe WKORV
OV WKORVN
OV WKORV
IV WKORVN
IV Deluxe WKORV (avoid - except for a few)
IV WKORV (avoid)

For a 1Bd (view-wise):
OF Deluxe WKORV
OF Center WKORV
OF WKORVN
OV WKORVN
OV WKORV
IV WKORVN
IV Deluxe WKORV (avoid - except for a few)
IV WKORV (avoid)

IMO

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thank you. What does SOs mean? I did suggest they not travel during Easter as they would pay more.

Thank you.
Debi

What I meant is that their are people who do not own at WKORV/N, but use their StarOptions (from another SVN resort) to get an SVN exchange at WKORV/N - and then rent it out (which is against CCRs, but goes on anyway). As these are SVN exchanges - they can only be made at <8 months out and do not have any view priority.

I have a friend who just rented a SVN exchange for this October via RW- and got a pretty good price - but they are aware that they have no view priority.

April 2015 is >8 months away - so anyone renting at this time (and has a reservation confirmation) must be an WKORV/N owner, and will get view priority over others.

PS - this is a great villa on RW for 4/4-4/11/2015 (not mine - I use mine...) - Building 2 (#2625) - top floor corner OF (Deluxe) overlooking pool - for $3100 (yes, expensive - but best 1Bd villa in all of WKORV/N - IMO - I have stayed in this villa - apparently they own this as a fixed villa - sweet)
http://www.redweek.com/posting/R593348

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for what David wrote (all of it). Plus, I'll add that maybe your nephew could work out a deal with David on his OF studio next April? $1,850 is a very good deal for an WKORV oceanfront studio.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
+1 for what David wrote (all of it). Plus, I'll add that maybe your nephew could work out a deal with David on his OF studio next April? $1,850 is a very good deal for an WKORV oceanfront studio.

Thanks for the endorsement, but my OFD usage for 2015 is already accounted for...

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who just rented a SVN exchange for this October via RW- and got a pretty good price - but they are aware that they have no view priority.

I'll chime in that the other advantage of an SVN exchange is if you require less than 7 nights. As long as view doesn't matter, you only need to pay for the nights you need.

For longer than 7 nights, you can also add on to a home week, although you may not end up in the same unit with the same view.

-ryan

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If your son rents from an owner, have him ask if they are an WKORV owner. If they are not an owner, they cannot ethically list a view because exchangers cannot guarantee a view. Only owners who own OF or OV can guarantee the view that they paid for, and even then only if they book(ed) the preferred week in the 8-12 month window. Many ads mislead renters on this.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's a no-brainer to verify the view - it will be listed on the confirmation from Starwood - just ask to see the Confirm.:

Ocean Front
Ocean View
Island View
Floating View (unassigned view)