• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Caribbean Exchanges

gannab

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first few years we joined rci (weeks ownership) we had no trouble getting into the Caribbean....for the past 3-4 years many times we have had to settle for Mexico because nothing available in Caribbean. I always put in close to a year ahead of time and have many months to exchange for.....Last year we actually went thru a travel agency just to get into aruba after trying to exchange for many years. also we have a red week 2 bedroom and have had to settle for studios 99% of the time...what is wrong with this picture...???? Do not read anything very good about RCI any more and the exchanges going up and what happened to the $299 + extra weeks...this is not fair to us who have been members for years...whats going on???

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Maybe it's time for you to try II, since your resort is dual-affiliated. Or an independent. (Sorry Madge, nothing personal - just trying to offer options.)

anteween

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found the same thing for II in the last couple of years. Limited exchanges to the sunny beach resorts. I have been an II member for approximately 17 years and have noticed a big decline in inventory.

Aldo

Reaction score
Go to Skyauction or RCI rentals, and you will see ALL those weeks that they won't let you trade for.

This is said to be a part of the improved customer service.

gannab

TUG Member
Reaction score
Improved ????? for who, certainly not for RCI members.....thanks for all of your input.....just venting here and don/t expect it will get any better......:wave:

wilmark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Caribbean Inventory

I totally agree with the OP. This problem with Caribbean Inventory started about a year ago. You used to be able to get great deals in last call and instant exchanges. Barbados, Aruba, St Marteen, Tobago, Curacao, Antigua etc used to available in Last Call. Overnight it stopped. They have pulled it all. WHY IS THERE NO CARIBBEAN LAST CALL OVER THE PAST 9 MONTHS - NONE - I check every week. You used to get almost everywhere. You could find alot of the places you might be looking for here:

http://www.getravelop.com

http://www.holidaynetwork.com/hn/default.asp

http://www.armymwr.com/

http://www.realtimerental.com/rrv10/default.asp

http://orbitz.com (they own orbitz)

There are many other sites affiliated in some way with Cendant (look for websites that say travelport). They have created this network of web distribution where you find websites that look similar but its not clear who owns and/or is partnering with whom. You will see timeshare weeks available for sale.

I think RCI reselling member deposited intervals should be investigated.

I may discontinue my RCI membership and try to obtain an II membership. What is your experience with II?

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
gannab,

In my 14 years with RCI, Aruba has always been in extremely short supply as compared with the demand. It's a tall order. I'm concerned that you have had a tough time getting matches in other Caribbean destinations.

Since you indicate that you are fairly flexible with the dates, please send an e-mail to feedback@rci.com with TUG in the subject line. The Communications Team can check your account to be sure we've offered you the best strategies and tell you if VEP or Trading Power may be an issue for you.