• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Which is best London Marriott Category 9 to book...

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
For use with a 5 night hotel airline miles package we are planning to use in June... We just bought a package, category 7 but only 1 option available on points for 5 days we need, so may be upgrading to category 9. If so, we would love input as to which category 9 to choose (there are many and hard to choose!). We willbe spending week prior at Marriott Ville d'France and we will be 3 (16 year old daughter with us)... It will be the the first time to Paris and London for any of us (unless you count a quick trip to London during term abroad for me too many years ago to mention or remember :) We would love advice on both legs as to 'what not to miss' though i know that a lot has been wriiten on TUG on this topic already...

Thanks in advance for any input re the category 9 question!

Vicki

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
First trip to London I'd go with Marriott County Hall.

For Paris I'd try for the Marriott Champs Elysses.

Brian

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
For Paris, I agree that the Marriott Champs Elysses is great.

For London, if you want to stay in a Category 7 without upgrading to Cat9, we have enjoyed the Marriott West India Quay. We have stayed there twice. The light rail is right next to it, so it is a quick trip into the middle of the city.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
My favorite London hotel is the Marriott Grosvenor Square. It was Marriott's original flagship hotel in London and is well located in Mayfair. We have been staying there since 1988, although we have tried many of the others at least once. The Chancery Court was our other favorite, but it is no longer a Renaissance and has left the Marriott family. Having said all that, there are many good choices, including County Hall which was mentioned above.

Reactions: DIB

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
First trip to London I'd go with Marriott County Hall.

For Paris I'd try for the Marriott Champs Elysses.

Brian

We did this trip last year and did exactly this as Brian had recommended. You won't go wrong....County Hall is a good location with great views over the river. Also it will get you into the feeling of London. Same for Paris,,,,Champs Elysses

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Ch & gs

We have stayed at both Grosvenor Square and County Hall. One week at GS and several visits to CH (totaling maybe 13-14 nights at CH).

We stayed at County Hall first, and I have to say that it's location is best in all of London for walking to Buckingham Palace, St. James Park (the most beautiful park in London), Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square & National Gallery Museum, several theaters, Piccadilly Circus, Sherlock Holmes Pub, and more. Most everything is just across the Westminster Bridge.

The Aquarium and London Eye are also just outside the hotel. It's possible to get a room with a view of Big Ben across the Thames River, which will be the memory of a lifetime, since you'll see it at night all lit up----just gorgeous, and hear the chimes (subtle and not offensive). Just a spectacular experience.

Grosvenor Square is smaller but exudes more splendor, I'll say, as it has a lot more glitz. Full of magnificent antiques and amazing fixtures, and has an extremely attentive staff. The location is also nice to walk to Hyde Park and to Bond Street with the high-end flagship shops. Not as walkable to other touristy stuff.

You can take the tube to all those things mentioned for County Hall, but we enjoyed walking everywhere and CH provided that unique opportunity.

Base your decision on your preferences. For us, County Hall was the right place for the first visit. There are other lower category hotels which will save a few points, but you'll never replace the experience of staying at County Hall.

County Hall
https://goo.gl/maps/zjB61BAcezx
MINIMIZE the boxes to see full view!!!!!!!
(County Hall at lower right, at London Eye)

Grosvenor Square
https://goo.gl/maps/1QUEEKuwWPN2

Last edited:

dms1709

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Coconut Point (5), Marriott Legends Edge
London

County hall is great for a first visit. Close to most of the things a first time visitor would want to see and close to public transportation. It is also in a courtyard so it is hidden a bit.

D

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at Grovsener Square twice on points and the rooms I was given were tiny. I don't believe they would accommodate three.

fleming4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Park Lane?

Does anyone have experience with Park Lane, especially compared with Grosvenor Square? The reviews on Park Lane are a little better on the Marriott website. My wife and I are scheduled for Park Lane this coming June, but could make a change. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I have stayed at Grovsener Square twice on points and the rooms I was given were tiny. I don't believe they would accommodate three.

When we stayed, also on points, we were given a large suite that accommodated all of us quite comfortably (2 adults & 2 children) however we're platinum elite so not sure if that had any bearing.

For a first time visitor I would opt for County Hall as others have suggested. Of all the Marriott's it provides the best views and proximity to the major sites to give the traditional feel of London. I really like Grosvenor Square, it's more luxurious than County Hall and in a more pleasant (although expensive) part of London.

Last weekend my wife and I stayed at the London Edition, Marriott's luxury boutique hotel, located just off Oxford Street. A very nice hotel (although my wife wasn't particularly keen on the modern decor in the rooms) with a very impressive lobby, restaurant and bar that serves very good cocktails. It's also within walking distance to the British Museum and Covent Garden and the theatre district is a 15 min walk away. Oxford Circus tube is a ten minute walk albeit through the ridiculously busy Oxford St (unless you take the back streets route).

We've stayed at the Kensington Marriott on several occasions. It is cheaper and it lacks the grandeur and impressiveness of the more expensive ones however it is in a good location, the Natural History, Victoria and Albert and Science museums are all within a short walk and the closest tube is 1/2 a mile away.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback!

You all got me more excited about our trip to France and London than I had been before (especially you Marty, thanks for the must do list and links).

We are also MR Platinum elite, so maybe that is why I am less concerned about the size of the room than I am about the location and experience of staying in that hotel... We still havent made a final decision but amongst the many Category 9's we are leaning towards County Hall, even though I had been leaning towards the Category 7 Hotel Maide Vale (which has just become available on points). I do agree that County Hall would be worth the extra points though for the location and experience so we'll see if I can convince my husband!

Thanks again for the help in making this decision!

Vicki

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do choose County Hall, it will be a far more memorable experience.
I have stayed at Maida Vale in the past and it can be a practical, value option but it is just nothing at all special.
I am a West Londoner by birth, so if I go back to visit and don't want to splash out I stay at the Kensington Marriott, again nothing special but good value, close to the tube, walking distance to the museums...etc (we walk all over central London from there, but we do like walking!) and they gave us a great room upgrade as Platinum Elite.
If I were spending the time and money to cross the Atlantic though, it would be County Hall.

Werner Weiss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nobody has mentioned Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel. It's a luxury hotel facing Hyde Park. Although the name is similar to the London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square, they're two different hotels, several blocks apart.

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel is Category 9, so it takes the same number of points as London Marriott County Hall and London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square. But, if you're not paying with Marriott rewards points, the JW is usually much more expensive than the other two. So it's a good use of points for those who like to maximize the value of points.

Another luxury hotel, already mentioned in this thread, is the London Marriott Park Lane. Although it's branded as a regular Marriott, not as a JW, I'm told it's similar to a Ritz-Carlton. Park Lane is also Category 9. It's usually about as expensive as the JW if you're not paying with points. But it's a smaller boutique hotel. One big advantage is that there's an underground station at the same corner as the hotel.

London Marriott County Hall is a good tourist location, especially if your plans included the London Eye, Shrek's Adventure, Sea Life Aquarium, and the London Dungeon (all of which are at County Hall). Guests who get rooms with great views of the Thames or Big Ben love those views. But a Category 9 booking does not guarantee such a view, unless you pay a significant up-charge.

There are other Category 9 properties — St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel, London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch, and Threadneedles Autograph Collection. I haven't been to any of these, but I would not consider them for a London vacation for various reasons.

A reward booking at St. Pancras normally gets a room with only a queen, unless you pay an up-charge. If you're Platinum, you have access to a great lounge. If you're Gold, you only get breakfast in the restaurant. There's excellent access to trains, underground lines, and other transit.

I understand that Marble Arch is a good, fairly typical Marriott hotel, but it takes as many points as better hotels.

Threadneedles is away from the most of London's attractions. It's probably a good hotel for business travelers who want to be where it's located.

For me, the most appealing Category 9 hotel in Central London is Park Lane. I haven't stayed there yet, but I plan to on our next trip to London.

Last edited:

budnj

TUG Member
Reaction score
County Hall

We stayed at County Hall last May on a rewards package, and we were somewhat disappointed. It seemed overdue for some renovations, which apparently were due shortly. It had the worst mattress I've ever encountered in a Marriott. Location was great for our purposes, staff was wonderful. If you plan to go there, suggest you ask about renovation progress, and ask to inspect before you check in.
We also stayed at St. Pancras for one night, prior to a Eurostar trip. Outstanding property, the nicest Platinum lounge I've been in, tremendous staff. Not sure how inconvenient it would be for a "London sightseeing trip", but I would certainly consider it if I get back there. The hotel had a wonderful (free ) tour, possibly only on weekends. Well worth the time. Enjoy!

Just re-read original post, we also spent some time in Paris with our daughter. Highly recommend Paris Greeter
http://www.greeters.paris/?lang=en
In London, we went to shows three nights, purchased one show prior to departure, purchased others at theater box office day of show. Pleasant walk from County Hall.
One smartphone app we found useful was Here maps. Could be used without data connection.

Last edited:

Safti

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at County Hall in London for 4 nights. It was an outstanding choice. I am Plat as well and we requested and received an upgraded room overlooking Big Ben. I found it helpful to email with the concierge there in advance who organized some dinners, etc. I also emailed the front desk to put in a request directly for a room upgrade. Great location and you will enjoy yourself.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
There were two very memorable moments from our stay at County Hall. First we took the train/tube from Heathrow to Westminster Station (right across river from County Hall). After being on an airplane for 9 hours from Los Angeles then 45 minutes on the train you dont know what to expect and your kind of tired. Upon exiting Westminster Station right in front of you is Westminster Abbey, Westminster Palace, Big Ben, the River Thames, Golden Eye. It was overwhelming. Everything you have seen pictures of and read about were right in front of you. From there its a short walk to County Hall across the bridge.

Next I took Marty's advice and got a room with a view of Big Ben. No free upgrade for me....We were staying on points and my gold status wasn't enough to get upgrade to Big Ben view. I think we paid an extra $75 per night. But it was well worth it. Because that view of Big Ben from the room and sounds of it striking on the hour are priceless.

It was also nice eating the free breakfast in the morning in the Library which also had great views of Big Ben.

Its location as others have said is the best.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
This is a great thread. Stayed in October at JW Grosenvor House. http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/longh-grosvenor-house-a-jw-marriott-hotel/
The lounge there was fantastic! After a series of annoyances we were upgrade to a fabulous suite as PlatinumElite 100+ nights per year.

But the County Hall location intrigues me with the walkablily to so many areas I want to visit as a tourist.

How is the lounge at County Hall? Platinum Breakfast and evening cocktail availability?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
There were two very memorable moments from our stay at County Hall. First we took the train/tube from Heathrow to Westminster Station (right across river from County Hall). After being on an airplane for 9 hours from Los Angeles then 45 minutes on the train you dont know what to expect and your kind of tired. Upon exiting Westminster Station right in front of you is Westminster Abbey, Westminster Palace, Big Ben, the River Thames, Golden Eye. It was overwhelming. Everything you have seen pictures of and read about were right in front of you. From there its a short walk to County Hall across the bridge.

Next I took Marty's advice and got a room with a view of Big Ben. No free upgrade for me....We were staying on points and my gold status wasn't enough to get upgrade to Big Ben view. I think we paid an extra $75 per night. But it was well worth it. Because that view of Big Ben from the room and sounds of it striking on the hour are priceless.

It was also nice eating the free breakfast in the morning in the Library which also had great views of Big Ben.

Its location as others have said is the best.

Chris, thanks for the plug.......We shared the same overwhelming experience that you did at County Hall, that's why I heartily recommended it to you personally. I had previously believed that those things you mentioned existed only in a book, but when we first looked up and saw Big Ben across that amazing Westminster Bridge and the River Thames, our hearts leapt out of our chests. And to see it all lit up at night, and to hear those sweet rich chimes, wow, what a thrill. To this day our 20-something kids talk about it all the time, and when they see it on TV they shout, "Dad, look, that's where we stood!!!" I could not replace that memory for a million dollars, and it's a thrill to have given that gift to my children.

And it was similar for other sights and destinations around that area-----Buckingham Palace and the Mall, Sherlock Holmes Pub, Trafalgar Square, sitting on a park bench and watching the swans in St. James Park, witnessing the Trooping the Colour extravaganza in June, and dozens of other things, all still so vivid.

Standing under the Eiffel Tower and looking up, entering the doors to Windsor Castle and knowing royalty has stepped there before me, watching a magnificent crimson and orange sunset unfold over the French countryside while on a train, entering the bedroom at Leeds Castle where Henry VIII slept, listening attentively to a tall tale from the mounted horseman at Warwick Castle, reading the authentic signature of Samuel Clemens in the guestbook under the glass case in William Shakespeare's bedroom, or gazing upon the Mona Lisa (next to my beautiful posing wife Mona), were all similar magical moments we'll always cherish.

And likewise, County Hall, what could be better???? The old adage "location-location-location" rings so true in this instance-----not one of us would change that for anything. Our first chance and we got it right!
I've always asked this silly question, "Would you rather have owned a signed 8x10 photo of Abe Lincoln, or shaken his hand?" It's kinda cool to open a storybook and crawl inside.

Chris, so very happy you'll carry that priceless memory forever too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
We also stayed at St. Pancras for one night, prior to a Eurostar trip. Outstanding property, the nicest Platinum lounge I've been in, tremendous staff. Not sure how inconvenient it would be for a "London sightseeing trip", but I would certainly consider it if I get back there. The hotel had a wonderful (free ) tour, possibly only on weekends. Well worth the time. Enjoy!

The Renaissance at St Pancras is a wonderful hotel set in a magnificent building. Very good lounge although the service can be a bit hit and miss. Fantastic suites although very, very expensive. The restaurant in the hotel, The Gilbert Scott is excellent:

http://www.thegilbertscott.co.uk/

I've eaten there a couple of times, both with my wife and also with a group of friends at the 'Kitchen Table'. I can thoroughly recommend the crispy pigs head!

St. Pancras is not as ideally located as County Hall but the Kings Cross/St Pancras tube station is next door and The British Museum is a 20 minute walk away. If I was travelling on the Eurostar then I would certainly stay at the Renaissance the night before.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at the Park Lane twice and each of the Grovenors once always on points. We prefer the Park Lane. We will be going back to the Park Lane this summer for seven nights and three nights at the St. Ermin's This will be the first time for us at that hotel. Has anyone been to St Ermin's?

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau

They do have a few tiny rooms. We got one on our very first stay there in 1988. But that is not the norm and a Platinum member should be able to always avoid this. There are actually quite a few different room configurations at the Grosvenor Square Marriott.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Does anyone have experience with Park Lane, especially compared with Grosvenor Square? The reviews on Park Lane are a little better on the Marriott website. My wife and I are scheduled for Park Lane this coming June, but could make a change. Thanks in advance for any comments.

I was disappointed in the Park Lane, despite its excellent location. Standard rooms there are rather small.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So we have a cat 9 7 night cert to use by 3/31/17 so instead of extending for another year and having another cert to use I've decided to take my son to London for his school break in 2 weeks.

Scored United Business Saver seats Newark to Dusseldorf to London going. Booked Marriott County Hall for 7 nights.

A few questions, It was mentioned about taking a train from Heathrow to the Marriott County Hall. Can someone provide more details on that?

Also I wasn't thinking about renting a car figuring there was plenty to do close by and we'd probably take a tour or two. Should I rethink renting a car?

As I mentioned we have a stopover in Dusseldorf, which is 4.5 hours. Anyone have tips to kill a few hours in Germany? I was hoping to leave the airport at least for a few hours if we could somehow.

And regarding tours from the Marriott County Hall any to recommend?

Lastly anyone have experience with Lufthansa Business class?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I wouldn't rent a car in London. It isn't the kid of place an American would want to drive for the first time on the "wrong side" of the road. I also don't think 4.5 hours is enough time to get out of the airport to see anything.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Here were my notes on the Tube from Heathrow to County Hall. Take the Picadilly line to Hammersmith. At Hammersmith get off (cross the platform) and get to the District Line to Westminster. When we were at Heathrow there were employees at the vending machines to help you get your tickets. Since we are not familiar with riding a subway or tube it was a big help. It was easy to do. I think it took about 30 to 40 minutes. From Westminster exit to County Hall its a short 5 minute walk across the Thames. When you exit the subway you are in the heart of London. It was an amazing introduction to London. That first day we took the hop on/off bus for a ride around the city for a few hours (dozed a few times also). There is lots within walking distance of County Hall, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, etc. I want to go back.