• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

College Football Playoff Predictions!

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mizzou is only a 2 touchdown underdog vs Alabama... anything can happen, right??? :)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slightly OT, but anyone think Mariota won't win the Heisman?

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score

He'll probably need a good game in the Pac-12 championship, but he appears to be in the lead. It's between him and Gordon.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score

Let me put it this way - do you notice anyone playing better college football than Mariota?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think mariotta is easily the best player on the offensive side of the ball...and I have little doubt he will be the 1st choice in next years draft!

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want the Rams to trade up to draft Mariota. They're a QB away from being a pretty good football team, IMO.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
ha, they have been saying that in jacksonville for 10 years now!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
lol...playoff committee doing their best to make themselves look ridiculous in the first year for sure!

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
lol...playoff committee doing their best to make themselves look ridiculous in the first year for sure!

I figured FSU would be #1 after the ACC smashed the SEC this past weekend! :hysterical:

Then again, there's only one "ACC" member on the committee who happens to also be Clemson's AD.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
oddly enough, 4 is a better slot than 2 or 3 for FSU given the location of the playoff games.

Its hard to imagine the Playoff committee had any other scenario in mind vs putting FSU vs Alabama against each other in the sugar bowl...and having oregon vs (whoever) playing in Pasadena.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kind of strange. I'm not sure FSU meets the "eye test" but they are undefeated for almost two years, and they had some decent OOC wins. Of course, there could be any number of factors in play here, including ranking to give the most desirable semifinal games. I put nothing outside the realm of possible reasons the committee does what they do.

What's also kind of odd is that going by their own rankings, of the 3 one loss teams that are in the top 4, TCU has the best loss, then Oregon, then Bama, yet their ranking is reversed.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
oddly enough, 4 is a better slot than 2 or 3 for FSU given the location of the playoff games.

Its hard to imagine the Playoff committee had any other scenario in mind vs putting FSU vs Alabama against each other in the sugar bowl...and having oregon vs (whoever) playing in Pasadena.

I actually think that played a significant role in their thinking. People were speculating if they would "re-seed" the 4 teams to put the east coast schools 1 and 4 and the west coast schools 2 and 3.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Strange as well. Regardless of how good or bad a team is an undefeated needs to be given a little benefit of the doubt.

But a conference championship, semi-final and final may be too much travel for some teams fans. But big time college football should not have to worry about that.

Anyone have a link online of the possible outcomes. With a win Arizona will be in the mix even K State and GT with chaos. That makes 9 teams and to catch everything a 1 loss FSU and 2 loss Alabama and Oregon. I think making the playoff coming off a loss regardless of who would really take away from the playoff format. It is great so many of the top teams are in action. More exciting then a number 4 o5 MSU sitting at home hoping for other teams to fall.

Any benefit in just matching 1 vs 2 in conference championship games going forward instead of the winners of the east and west or north and south? Divisions barely matter as it is now. Just have a few protected games for each team.

If anyone has some stroke I am free next year to join the committee.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Couldnt help but laugh listening to the playoff chairman actually make the claim that the reason TCU got the nod over baylor and OSU, is in part because they have the best loss.

What sort of bizzaro world do we live in where not only does baylor not get credit for beating TCU, but TCU actually benefits additionally from being beaten by baylor in the first place because they are ranked so high.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that TCU has the three spot, does Florida St have to win big to hold off Baylor or Ohio St? :)

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that TCU has the three spot, does Florida St have to win big to hold off Baylor or Ohio St? :)

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
No matter what happens this coming weekend the Selection Committee will find a way to keep TCU out.

George

Baylor can lose to Kansas State. If that happens TCU will stay in. If Baylor and TCU win, then I think you're right and they will flip Baylor over TCU.

I now really don't want to see OSU get in. With a new QB I just think they would get rolled by Alabama. I don't want to see Alabama get such an easy game.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Baylor can lose to Kansas State. If that happens TCU will stay in. If Baylor and TCU win, then I think you're right and they will flip Baylor over TCU.

I now really don't want to see OSU get in. With a new QB I just think they would get rolled by Alabama. I don't want to see Alabama get such an easy game.

If Baylor loses there goes TCU's good loss which put them at 3. I think Baylor should be 4th if they win.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of mathematically oriented comments...

Let us presume that the quality of college football teams lie along a standard bell shaped curve. As you move away from either of the extremes, the number of teams at whatever level increases until you get to the middle of the curve. What that means is that as you allow more teams into the playoffs, there will be more teams at almost the same level of quality as the last team let in. Thus, while it might be hard to decide which two teams most deserve to play for the championship, it will be even harder to decide which should be the fourth team that deserves to be in the playoff (so this is why the selection committee will surely get criticized). I might add, that the amount of controversy over which team should be the last team allowed in would only intensify if the number of teams in a playoff increases to eight.

Let us suppose that one team is decidedly better than the others in the top four. They would beat any of the other top teams four out of five times they were to play each other. (I doubt that any team is good enough that they would beat another top four team every time they played. Look at the SEC.) With a single game playoff, the probability that the dominant team would win the national championship would be .80 (eighty percent). If, however, they have to go through a two game playoff, the probability that this better team would win the championship drops to .64 (sixty-four percent). A college playoff system might be good for generating revenue (and distracting "student athletes" from their academics - most players on even the best team will never play a game in the NFL), it is not a great system for determining which team deserves to be declared the national champion.

(Okay, I know that these comments will not be popular, but they are what mathematics tells us.)

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the problem with the playoffs... in the past, the argument over who deserved to be national champion was made after the season was over. You'd hear about how number two or number 3 got robbed. So now we've replaced it with a system where everyone wants to argue who should be the third or fourth team in before the playoffs occur, and that's regardless whether anyone believes that third or fourth or fifth team really deserves to be the real champion.

I don't care if you made it 16 teams, the teams left on the edge will always be stirring controversy. There is no magic formula to all this, but we've improved and it's better than the ways of the past.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of mathematically oriented comments...

Let us presume that the quality of college football teams lie along a standard bell shaped curve. As you move away from either of the extremes, the number of teams at whatever level increases until you get to the middle of the curve. What that means is that as you allow more teams into the playoffs, there will be more teams at almost the same level of quality as the last team let in. Thus, while it might be hard to decide which two teams most deserve to play for the championship, it will be even harder to decide which should be the fourth team that deserves to be in the playoff (so this is why the selection committee will surely get criticized). I might add, that the amount of controversy over which team should be the last team allowed in would only intensify if the number of teams in a playoff increases to eight.

Let us suppose that one team is decidedly better than the others in the top four. They would beat any of the other top teams four out of five times they were to play each other. (I doubt that any team is good enough that they would beat another top four team every time they played. Look at the SEC.) With a single game playoff, the probability that the dominant team would win the national championship would be .80 (eighty percent). If, however, they have to go through a two game playoff, the probability that this better team would win the championship drops to .64 (sixty-four percent). A college playoff system might be good for generating revenue (and distracting "student athletes" from their academics - most players on even the best team will never play a game in the NFL), it is not a great system for determining which team deserves to be declared the national champion.

(Okay, I know that these comments will not be popular, but they are what mathematics tells us.)

Yes, of course that's true. But a logically reasonable way to determine the size of a playoff field would be to make it very large, then reduce it based on results, because quantifying team "quality" is highly subjective.

Let's say, hypothetically, that there was a 32 team football playoff. If the teams were seeded 1-32 (in a manner similar to the current CFP ranking system, for instance) after some time, there presumably would be sufficient data to indicate that no team higher than say a 11 seed had ever won the playoff. So the field could logically be reduced to 12 teams with little fear that a potential champion was being excluded. Sure there would be grumblings from the teams that barely didn't qualify, but statistics would indicate that their chances of winning the playoff were very small.

The most glaring problem with the current system isn't that it's statistically a less than ideal way to determine a champion, it's that championship caliber teams are omitted entirely from the process. While I think we'd all agree, based on experience, that 32 teams is far too many, it's nearly as obvious that 4 is too few. The right size, IMO, is somewhere in the 8 to 12 range.